Just got my V to the Dub

SoCal_John

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hello TDI Club,

I was able to unload my 99 Dodge Durango (aka the largest money pit on earth) and walked out with a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. It has 43k miles on. Ive only put about 70 miles on it since this afternoon, but Im totally in love. Just wanted to say whats up to my new TDI brotha's.

Also as a note, and this may be posted in the FAQ, how do you change the batteries in the remote. The only one they had for this car doesnt seem to work. I may have to buy a new one (or two), but would like to try to swap the batteries first.

Thanks,
John

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Congratulations!!! And Welcome to the TDI-Club !!!!

The remotes for these cars are now very tricky to buy - you need to go to a "real" VW dealer on account of the immobilizer...

You could try to replace the battery: CR2032 is the type and you should check the voltage to make sure it's fresh (over 3 volts !!) Try to download the following file:

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/members/schnabba/a4remote_new_print.pdf

It will explain how to replace the battery.

If you ever need some _serious_ repair work done, please look up TDI-Club Guru Leonard Harview in Fullerton... Wild Rose Motors, Ltd., (714) 449-0485

No finer TDI-tech anywhere within driving distance to you!!!

Stick around a while and do a bit (?) of reading...

All the best,

Yuri.

2003 TDI Jetta Wagon 171,000 miles

SoCal_John

TDI
2003 Jetta
Thank you very much for your response. Sho nuff it just needed a new battery. I do understand that I can buy a VW key, and then program it with the VAG Com software, or am I misunderstanding?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unfortunately, getting a new key/fob is no longer easy nor cheap!

You can get the radio remote part synchronized without going to the dealer, but the other part of the key uses a passive security component that needs to be recognized by the immobilizer in the instrument cluster.

As of the past several months, VW has gone to a system where the car needs to be plugged into their computer system and be programmed at the dealership...

Sorry...

Yuri.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
doc_m said:
can he not still program it if he has the skc code?
I don't believe you can get it anymore - especially for the 2003's... Perhaps he can badger the dealer who sold him the vehicle into getting him a 2nd key cheaper...

Yuri.

SoCal_John

TDI
2003 Jetta
Thats not gonna happen. When i started the deal at the dealership, we discussed getting a new key. By the time I finished the deal (them being highly pissed because of my highly unnegotiable attitude) they werent willing to give me another. Either way, I got the original key to work fine; I have the Valey key; I guess Ill just buy another one later on.

SoCal_John

TDI
2003 Jetta
I Love Love Love my new car. This thing kicks so much ass, I cant even begin to say it. It is fun to drive, and gets fantastic mileage. I filled up the tank on Saturday at a cost of $36 and change. Since then I have put on abut 175 miles, and the fuel guage is just squeeking by the 3/4 tank mark. Thats gonna put me well into 600 miles on this tank.