Wheel bearing noise without wheel play?

MrEd

TDI
Relfex silver 2001 Golf TDI GLS, 5 speed
I am 90% sure I have a front wheelbearing on its way out. I get what seem to be the tell-tale noises, but there is no play in either front wheel. Is it possible for a wheel bearing to be bad or going bad without the play in the wheel that one looks for in checking the bearings?

mnoeltne

TDI
2004 Golf GLS - Blue Anthracite
I had the left front bearing going bad and couldn't detect any play. Replaced the bearing and everything was quiet again.

PoochiePD

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Tempest Blue Jetta
Same here. Telltale growl coming from DS front that got worse on right hand turns. No play. Drove another 3-5k miles on it (could have gone more) and still no play. Replaced it and all was well.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
There are two rows of bearings in the front bearing assembly. You probably have one of them failing and the other is supporting the load and preventing detectable play in the shaft.

DB

MrEd

TDI
Relfex silver 2001 Golf TDI GLS, 5 speed
Thanks for confirming. I bought the Harbor Freight FWD bearing adaptors and ordered the bearings from MJM. Will be on it soon.

indysoto

Veteran Member
Two rows? are you including the cv as a bearing? on the schematic for my 2000 jetta bently it only shows one:confused:
Drivbiwire said:
There are two rows of bearings in the front bearing assembly. You probably have one of them failing and the other is supporting the load and preventing detectable play in the shaft.

DB

MeOmYo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Think of it as a wheel bearing assembly. It is referred to as a wheel bearing but each wheel bearing actually has (2) sets of bearings in it. An inner row and an outer row.

2 X $41.

indysoto

Veteran Member
Thanks did not have my manual handy...:) and pricing away... Any Opinion on the Better brands IE TIMKEN, SKF...etc
MeOmYo said:
Think of it as a wheel bearing assembly. It is referred to as a wheel bearing but each wheel bearing actually has (2) sets of bearings in it. An inner row and an outer row.

2 X $41.

Last edited: