timing belt replacement cost

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
that's a million dollar question. Guess it depends on the dealer and what all they replace/don't replace.
If you're looking for a TB replacement you might want to talk to some local folks on here and see if there's someone close by that would be willing to do it for you. Typically money can be saved and the folks here doing the change are usually more thurough with the job. They can tell you exactly where to get parts and part numbers. Or you can visit one of the club members that sell these parts ( Dieselgeek for example), and they will be on your doorstep in about a week. (the parts that is)

There have been horror stories about people taking their cars to dealers and not getting the appropriate items replaced (ie: water pumps, upper and lower rollers and TB tensioners, engine mount bolts, etc.) and STILL charging the customer $600+ for the change. Hence the name "stealership".

It's up to you. Maybe someone close to you can chime in here if they're willing to help out with TB change info? You might want to update all your info so people know where your from year and model of TDI.

Good Luck, J

lotzamiles

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon
Ideally, best thing to do is to find a good TDI mechanic on this web-site around your area. Get to know him, adhere to his "exact" recommendations and you will "never" go wrong. They also know where to buy and then help you install all the necessary parts. Going to the dealer is the worst thing that you can do.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Howdy Pickle
Here is Maine...two local stealerships (O'Connor's VW & Morong's VW) have a listed price of $675.00 + tax
This is just a basic timing belt ....and does not include the 60K mile scheduled services...which is another $210.00

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
What is the average cost of a timing belt change for a 2000 jetta when taken to a dealer?
Dieselgeek's price for the full kit (TB, tensioner, rollers, water pump, and new bolts) is $340, I believe. The dealer will charge considerably more for the parts.

Then there's about 4 or 5 hours of labor. The water pump takes about an extra 1/2 hour, but the dealers' book says several hours. So if you go to a dealer, get a written estimate and tell them you want a discount on the water pump labor.

Better yet, update your profile, post your location, and maybe there's a TB expert in your area.

TDI_Dog

Veteran Member
TDI
none - yet. Used to have a '02 MK4 Golf GLS TDI
I just had this work done in Annapolis. $550 labor plus parts but I had a coupon for the belt (free) and spend $90 for the replacement roller.

I also had water pump replacement, flush fill coolant, and EGR service totalling my bill to $1200.

I did all this to my '02 Golf with 87000 miles at time of service.

brando06

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Tdi Silver
1200$ is a complete rip-off dude. I live in Vancouver and went to the Goodyear where the Upsolute is done. I paid 800$ for my water pump, Timing belt, and i complete winterization package. That is a good price!

Vin Biodiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2010 JSW, 2014 J$W, 2013 Pa$$at, 2014 Pa$$at, 2015 Pa$$at
Deafbug changed the timing belt & waterpump on my A3 yesterday (Milwaukee area). He is very meticulous and his price is very reasonable. I highly recommend him!

dieselnewbie

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
As a new (6 month) TDI owner of a 2000 Jetta my two cents on this topic would be that NOT replacing the belt correctly or when it should be done will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500.00 US - if you're lucky. The mechanic that changed the belt on my car prior to my purchasing it didn't have the right tools, hadn't worked on a TDI before, and didn't replace the water pump. In looking over the carnage later, we think that the water pump was actually the culprit. Got my parts from Dieselgeek and Impex and was very satisfied with both. An expensive lesson to learn though...