Emissions Fix Induced Turbo Failures

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Okay, I'm not a gearhead and my 2014 manual JSW is my first diesel, so here goes my stupid question: How DO I know when my car goes into regen? I've read a lot about it on this website but have no idea when/if it's happening.
the revs slightly go up ( 1100 or so) at idle , fan turns on and you start smelling burning odor when you get out of the car

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
How DO I know when my car goes into regen? I've read a lot about it on this website but have no idea when/if it's happening.
I monitor Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) with a P3cars vent gauge to see the regens. There are subtle ways to detect it, e.g., rough idle, jerky acceleration, or the fans running like crazy when you turn off the car. But those indicators don't let you monitor the regen to control your behavior to avoid turning the car off when it's too hot.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
I drive around the neighborhood for what seems like forever. It's the last thing I want to do after driving home from work, but I do it. A while ago, I let my car idle in the driveway to let it finish on it's own. Unfortunately, however, I forgot all about my car. The next morning it was still idling in the driveway. It idled for about 16 hours. It didn't hurt anything, but I don't leave it idling anymore. Now I drive around!

It would be nice to rip all that stuff off one of these days. It would be great to not have regens and get better mpg and performance too!
Sorry to hear about your long idle. I had a similar experience with my tractor...left it idling for hours...*walk of shame* Sounded good, though...

About finishing the regen, you typically have to run the car up above 50 mph for 20 minutes to get a reliable "ending" to the regen. It's recommended by a lot of people who've run diesels with SCR systems for hundreds of thousands of miles to get these cars up to highway speeds for at least 20 minutes a week if you do a lot of short trips. This keeps everything happy in the emissions system.

I do one 120 mile trip per week and in the 2.5 years that I've had my 2015 TDI, I've only noticed it in the middle of a regen at idle (while I was unloading groceries) once. It definitely idled at a little higher rpm (1000 vs. the usual 800) and the smell was awful (that's relative, I know). It smelled like burning, but not burning diesel. I can't remember if the fan was on, though.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I had my turbo fail 5,000 miles after the fix.

Engine had about 280,000 miles at the time of the fix.

Dealer replaced the VNT actuator. Been fine for the past 15,000 miles.

My code reader showed P00AF:
Fault codes:
P00AF Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Module Performance

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Any easy way to end an unwanted regen is to turn the car off. You can then start it right back up if keeping the oil circulating for a minute or two is a huge concern.