TDI 1Z to 93 Eurovan (budget build)

superdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 ALH wagon, 2 VW Beetle TDI,Vanagon diesel
Great job! I'm working on the same project...did you keep the rest of EV exhaust from the flange to the end?

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender TDI(AHU) converted 2/2016, 93 Eurovan MV TDI(1z)(sold!)
I did. I did however pull off the mid segment with the catalytic converter with the intent to clean it out. Turned out that it was already either blown out or cleaned out prior. You shouldn't leave the gas cat. You can either weld in a diesel cat there or straight pipe it in that spot.

superdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 ALH wagon, 2 VW Beetle TDI,Vanagon diesel
Will fight with that section today after work..
About the transmission..I bought one from Europe so will see soon how it's gonna run rpm wise.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender TDI(AHU) converted 2/2016, 93 Eurovan MV TDI(1z)(sold!)
It will be fine if it is an EWB, which is geared for diesel. If you still find that the RPMs are too high, there is a UK dealer who sells gearsets on ebay for under $200. That's where is got my set for this van. The gearset can be easily changed out with the transmission in place also. Would just need to remove the drivers wheel.

On another note, i've not posted the budget part of my build. I've spent $2700 for the van, donor and swap parts. I've sold over $1100 in parts from the donor and pulled van parts. My actual delta value is $1519, which I think is pretty good. Still have some parts to sell as well.

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
Love this thread. I might do something similar, still working out the plan. Thought I'd post and follow this thread.

G3TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1994 Golf TDI http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305898
There was a "split" 08/98 - 09/98, so if the van was manufactured in September 1998 or later - it has a new style cluster. If production date before 9/98 - then the van come with older style (like on B4) cluster.
And that means of course all 2000 Eurovans come with newer style cluster, even some 1999's (built after 9/98) with new style clusters.
For those who might not be aware, Slavic (whose post I quoted) had been fighting two types of cancer since 2022. He finally succumbed to pancreatic cancer on Jan 20th 2024.

His memorial service (in Russian) is available here:

His son speaks briefly about his father at 46:48mins into the video in English.