Diesel Gate Phase 2 Start Date?

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Any idea when Phase 2 will start? I have a '15 GSW.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
^

I too a trying to figure the timing in order to get the 2/3 and the 1/3 as close together as possible

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
The court-ordered NLT date is Sep 18. So 9 months goes quickly. My guess is there is no Phase 2 fix and VW is just stretching out payments til the very last moment or they will ask for an extension.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The court-ordered NLT date is Sep 18. So 9 months goes quickly. My guess is there is no Phase 2 fix and VW is just stretching out payments til the very last moment or they will ask for an extension.
1st thanks.

... if true at least we have living proof of the results of phase one cars.

... Personal would like to get the whole 2/3 + 1/3 in a single wad:mad:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Phase I took care of most of the exhaust variances.

Phase II is to take care of the durability part of the exhaust treatment components. I'm pretty sure we will hear something before June 2018, certainly by September.

I don't see the point to waiting for phase II to be available before getting phase I complete - phase one will take 2-4 hours, phase II is likely to be 8-9 hours of shop time.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Phase I took care of most of the exhaust variances.

Phase II is to take care of the durability part of the exhaust treatment components. I'm pretty sure we will hear something before June 2018, certainly by September.

I don't see the point to waiting for phase II to be available before getting phase I complete - phase one will take 2-4 hours, phase II is likely to be 8-9 hours of shop time.

.... tight fit time wise (for me)

.... open to the fix -- watching the fall rate on used TDi golf (S) 2015 ~ 2014 ~ 2013

vs

.... $25,625 buy back.

vs

.... 2018 VW Golf (S) price delivered to drive way ~~ and the tech up grades ~~ like back up cam etc

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
1st thanks.

... if true at least we have living proof of the results of phase one cars.

... Personal would like to get the whole 2/3 + 1/3 in a single wad:mad:
IIRC there may be a mandatory delay after phase 1 before phase 2 dependent on how much mileage is on the vehicle at the time of phase 1 installation, with the intent of ensuring that the catalyst installed at phase 2 makes it to the 150,000 mile EPA design lifetime of the emission control system.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IIRC there may be a mandatory delay after phase 1 before phase 2 dependent on how much mileage is on the vehicle at the time of phase 1 installation, with the intent of ensuring that the catalyst installed at phase 2 makes it to the 150,000 mile EPA design lifetime of the emission control system.

Brain ~~ Thank you

In my case, it will be only a very few miles. I just do not drive much. Currant clock reads 6,300.

So extrapolating to approx 200 miles per month.

.... Thanks again :)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Your phase 2 installation will automatically be delayed based on the low mileage on your car at the time of phase 1 installation ... and remember, you have to set that date no later than September 2018. It will not be an option in your case to have phase 1 and 2 done at the same time.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your phase 2 installation will automatically be delayed based on the low mileage on your car at the time of phase 1 installation ... and remember, you have to set that date no later than September 2018. It will not be an option in your case to have phase 1 and 2 done at the same time.
WOW. Complicated (for me). Do not want to mess up and limit my choices.

One sure way is just take the BB. Hate to give up the DSG & TDi

Just got a call from one dealer saying the new 2018 Golfs will be here in January.

From the beginning the plan was-is to take as much money off the table as possible.

OR drive it 2-3-4 more years at break even

Thanks again Brian :)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
with the DSG - you need to have 40,000 miles or more to get Phase 2.

So- if you're driving that few of miles, you may not EVER qualify for phase 2.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
with the DSG - you need to have 40,000 miles or more to get Phase 2.

So- if you're driving that few of miles, you may not EVER qualify for phase 2.

well then. What are my options? ~~ as I surely will never drive that many miles (in this life time)

What the He!! happens to the situation I am in(???)

No phase 2 fix (???)

No 1/3 $$$$s ($2,233) (???)

No BOSCH $350 (???)

Just give up and sell it to VW (???)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As I see it -
#1 - Buyback
#2 - Do Phase I, this will also get you the Bosch money ($350)
#3 - Private sale , with or without fix (phase I)
#4 - Do nothing, keep driving - Oh - that's right . you're in Oklahoma, which did not take the settlement money - OK MAY (not saying they will) force you to get Phase I in order to keep driving the vehicle, then phase II when the car hits 40K miles.

In your case, it probably makes more sense to do the buyback and get another car. The dealer will probably want to keep your excellent condition, low mile car and try to sell it after they apply the phase I fix.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As I see it -
#1 - Buyback
Money wise that would work. But not my 1st choice. :(

#2 - Do Phase I, this will also get you the Bosch money ($350)
Would only get 'bout $4,433 :mad:

#3 - Private sale , with or without fix (phase I)

Might just start the process.;)

#4 - Do nothing, keep driving - Oh - that's right . you're in Oklahoma, which did not take the settlement money - OK MAY (not saying they will) force you to get Phase I in order to keep driving the vehicle, then phase II when the car hits 40K miles.

... requires study

In your case, it probably makes more sense to do the buyback and get another car. The dealer will probably want to keep your excellent condition, low mile car and try to sell it after they apply the phase I fix.
probably.

From the beginning the plan was to take as much money off the table as possible. (or derive free for a few more years.) And then replace it at some point in time.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From YOUR posted document -

"If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install
updated emissions control system hardware
-
specifically a new Diesel
Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic
Reduction Converter
-
that is needed to maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As
part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx
sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the
OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further
impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine
sound, performance, or drivability.

You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is
available for your vehicle.
You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles
(for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions)
at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.

I read that as VW would want you to do PHase II when your vehicle has passed the minimum mileage for the new parts to be installed.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
That is not a correct interpretation.

What you quoted is saying that, if your DSG equipped TDI is above 40,000 miles, you will get the equipment stated in Phase II, and that will be it, nothing further. Later down, it says if your DSG equipped TDI is below 40,000 miles at the time of the Phase 2 update, you will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before the vehicle reaches 150,000 miles. What this is saying is the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst on DSG TDIs has a useful life of 110,000 miles, and if you have less that 40,000 miles at the time of the Phase 2 fix, your new Diesel Oxidation Catalyst will not make it to 150,000 miles, so it will need to be replaced again before your vehicle reaches 150,000 miles.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
^ That appears to be correct - but to take it a step further, with regards to that Phase 2 modification, "you should expect to receive this notice before June 30, 2019" - and I believe it has not been approved yet. But also, if you want to get compensation, you have to register before September 2018 and have it done before December 2018.

So, as of right now, because phase 2 has not been released yet, you can not get phase 1 and phase 2 done together ... you can only get phase 1 done, with phase 2 coming later.

IF phase 2 receives approval before September 2018 (which I would say is possible) and IF VW immediately sends out the notifications (which I would say is unlikely) then there may be a theoretical possibility of a one-and-done phase 1 and 2 done together in the same visit but it requires a fair number of stars to align for it to happen. You have to register for the modification but not get phase 1 done now (but why wait?), phase 2 would have to be approved before Sept 2018 (may happen), you would have to file for the modification to be done before Sept 2018 with an appointment before Dec 2018 (stragglers will completely miss the opportunity to get paid for getting this done), AND VW would need to have sufficient parts available so that they could notify everyone that they could get both phase 1 and phase 2 done together.

For most people, it doesn't make any sense to attempt this, especially in view that you immediately set the extended-warranty clock in motion with phase 1 and it resets with phase 2. It makes more sense to get phase 1 done at a time that maximizes your powertrain warranty (i.e. delay until roughly the time your powertrain warranty expires but not later than Sept 2018) and then hold off with getting phase 2 as long as you can (helped by not getting phase 1 done until as late as you can).

I expect this forum to blow up around Sept 2018 when the filing deadline passes and people start realizing that they've missed the boat with respect to getting anything out of VW. Don't push your luck.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, as of right now, because phase 2 has not been released yet, you can not get phase 1 and phase 2 done together ... you can only get phase 1 done, with phase 2 coming later.

IF phase 2 receives approval before September 2018 (which I would say is possible) and IF VW immediately sends out the notifications (which I would say is unlikely) then there may be a theoretical possibility of a one-and-done phase 1 and 2 done together in the same visit but it requires a fair number of stars to align for it to happen. You have to register for the modification but not get phase 1 done now (but why wait?), phase 2 would have to be approved before Sept 2018 (may happen), you would have to file for the modification to be done before Sept 2018 with an appointment before Dec 2018 (stragglers will completely miss the opportunity to get paid for getting this done), AND VW would need to have sufficient parts available so that they could notify everyone that they could get both phase 1 and phase 2 done together.

For most people, it doesn't make any sense to attempt this, especially in view that you immediately set the extended-warranty clock in motion with phase 1 and it resets with phase 2. It makes more sense to get phase 1 done at a time that maximizes your powertrain warranty (i.e. delay until roughly the time your powertrain warranty expires but not later than Sept 2018) and then hold off with getting phase 2 as long as you can (helped by not getting phase 1 done until as late as you can).

I expect this forum to blow up around Sept 2018 when the filing deadline passes and people start realizing that they've missed the boat with respect to getting anything out of VW. Don't push your luck.

For sure on the last paragraph - If you want ANYTHING from VW - you need to be filed by September 2018.

The rest - I can certainly agree with as well

Now IF you fail to file by the deadline - VW MAY (probably not decided yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do) let you get the work done AS A RECALL - but NO COMPENSATION !!!!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Additional clarification: Phase 2 has been approved, by CARB and EPA - see top of page 3 of the link previously provided that says: "EPA and CARB have approved a two part emissions modification plan." So Phase 2 is certainly approved.

VW has not yet released the Phase 2 parts for completion, this is true. The attached link says several times that Phase 2 will be available in early 2018. I agree the attached link also says you should receive notification before June 30, 2019, regarding availability for your particular vehicle. It seems unusual that Phase 2 will be available to you in early 2018, and then to say you should receive notice prior to June 30, 2019 for Phase 2 for your vehicle. I suppose that could be a tactic to delay timing for very low mileage vehicles. But nowhere does it say that you might not be one of the first to have Phase 2 made available to you in early 2018 either. If you are going for the fix, I would do it prior to your 3-year bumper to bumper warranty expiring - so you will have continued warranty on the engine, fuel, exhaust systems under this emissions fix (and get your 2/3rds restitution payment), then wait as long as you possible can for the Phase 2 fix timing, so when Phase 2 is completed, your extended warranty will be refreshed at that time (to make most use of your extended warranty period). You would only be losing the 1/3rd restitution value of inflation between now and when you have the Phase 2 work done, which is of less value than the extension of the emissions warranty after Phase 2 is done.

My interpretations and perspectives - which may not align to others in this forum.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
phase 2

... snip...

.... snip....

IF phase 2 receives approval before September 2018 (which I would say is possible) and IF VW immediately sends out the notifications (which I would say is unlikely) then there may be a theoretical possibility of a one-and-done phase 1 and 2 done together in the same visit but it requires a fair number of stars to align for it to happen.

Just talked to my local dealer service MAN....

For those who elect to do the fix, He offered phase 2 may come in as little as 2-4 months :D:D