Flashing Glow Plug; Brake light switch?

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
looking for one :/
Ok so I got the annoying flashing glow plug light today. So I checked my brake lights and sure enough, they are not working. How do I replace the switch and/or fuse?
Sorry, I'm new to A4s

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Ok so I got the annoying flashing glow plug light today. So I checked my brake lights and sure enough, they are not working. How do I replace the switch and/or fuse?
Sorry, I'm new to A4s
Somewhere on the http://forums.vwvortex.com is a posting on replacing the brake lamp switch. The poster posted it because it is easy to damage the brake lamp switch while installing it. Apparently, that was also a problem at VW dealers, since there is a VW TSB on installing brake lamp switches ($2 from http://www.alldata.com ).

The fuse panel is behind a cover on the left side of the instrument panel (the door needs to be open to get to it).

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks
I found that post on Vortex and also found out that it is a factory recall that has not been done on my car, so I am taking it to my trusty dealer on Monday and avoid breaking the switch if I try to install it myself; (which I know I would do cuz I'm a klutz
).
Thanks anyway!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well first I would see if it is the brake light bulbs they are easy to change. Pop the trunk remove the little door, press on the clips and pull the light assembly towards you, twist out the brake bulb and pop in a new one.

This is the issue 9/10 times even though there is an issue with some of the brake switches.

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks but I don't think that's what it is since the brake lights are working intermittently; and when the don't work; it's ALL of them that are out.

I keep spare bulbs in the car just in case though
Thanks anyway!