DMV blocked renewal registration for FL

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

Did any of you in other states including FL get blocked from renewal for your TDI vehicle? I am getting concerned.... may it be related to the emission scandal? FL dont have emission testing at all. It dont make sense...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Have you heard that they are going to block registration renewals in FL? As far as I know only California has shown any signs of requiring emission modifications for renewals. You did not mention whether or not you have any reason to be concerned about this. If Florida doesn't even test for emissions, why would they care? Has the Florida DMV blocked your renewal? If yes, did they give you a reason?

Have Fun!

Don

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just because a state does not do emission testing doesn't mean they "don't care", it just means they don't see any value in testing. Even without testing it is still Federally illegal to defeat emission equipment.

The EPA sets emission standards for air quality and leaves enforcement to the states to enforce those standards. Blocking renewals is a very possible tool the states could use to stay in compliance with Federal standards.

https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-clean-air-act

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sounds a lot like ICE asking/requiring local law enforcement detain potential illegal immigrants.

But alas I wager all the non stock emissions systems i see every day driving down the roads, local enforcement of emissions systems is only as good as your friendship with who's performing your inspection.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hello,
Did any of you in other states including FL get blocked from renewal for your TDI vehicle? I am getting concerned.... may it be related to the emission scandal? FL dont have emission testing at all. It dont make sense...
More information would be helpful. Do you have any outstanding safety recalls that need to be performed? Did the DMV give you any information on why your renewal is blocked? Is it emissions related? Safety related? Something else?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I feared this!! This seems to be about the only way we could be FORCED into getting our cars "fixed".

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't start sweating bullets yet. The op didn't even make it clear if his Florida registration was actually denied. Let alone why- if it was.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, it was a false alarm. FL state are truly imbeciles. Thank god.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! You truly made me feel better that I'm not the only one. It was a awful scare.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL! There are imbeciles everywhere. You cant just miss them. HAHA!