Personal Gold TDI Experience: 2013 vs. 2015 Sportwagon

ericn

TDI
2013 Golf
Personal Golf TDI Experience: 2013 vs. 2015 Sportwagon

Drove a 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagon for a few days while my 2013 Golf TDI was in for warranty work - these are different cars for different people.

Summary: the 2013 Golf TDI is plain much better to drive than the 2015 Sportwagon TDI! The 2015 Sportwagon is a great little wagon, lets keep the Golf short and spirited.

Interior:
Edge to the 2013, materials just seem a little nicer

Electronics
The 2015 has keyless entry. Media: did not connect to my Android phone, but I did not try very hard. Google Auto did not work with it.

Engine Performance
The 2013 is defintely more spirited. The 2015 was decent but dissapointing, doesn't lag but doesn't have jump. Transmission differences are partly responsible, the 2013 has a DSG transmission, and the 2015 has a standard automatic (slush box).

Engine noise
the 2015 was quieter

Ride Comfort & Cabin Noise
The 2015 was quieter all around, less road, engine and wind noise and rode very nicely on the highway. Forgot to see if the 2015 had seat heaters.

Interior space
I need headroom, and the no complaints for the 2015. The 2013 still has more. The 2015 head rest was slightly more annoying, pushing my head forward. I'd have to modify that to own one.

Back hatch of the Sportwagon is significantly bigger, but still requires 1/2 the back seat to be folded down to put a bike in the back.

Handling
The 2013 is so much more tight to drive and feels more sticky on corners. The Sportwagon just feels (relatively) big and less responsive.

Brakes
same

Fuel
The 2015 is even more fuel efficient. It needs BlueTec fluid, too.

Parking and Manuverability
The 2013 Golf is the best, anyone can see everything and park where others cannot. The Sportwagon did not fit into my garage.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
eric---thanks for the review, any comment about the difference in the seats? (s-se-sel?) there have been some questions about this. welcome to tdiclub.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Sounds like a lot of your noted differences might be wagon vs. hatchback.

Also, the 2015 is not a slushbox. The TDI has a DSG.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Drove a 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagon for a few days while my 2013 Golf TDI was in for warranty work - these are different cars for different people.

Summary: the 2013 Golf TDI is plain much better to drive than the 2015 Sportwagon TDI! The 2015 Sportwagon is a great little wagon, lets keep the Golf short and spirited.

Interior:

Electronics
The 2015 has keyless entry. Media: did not connect to my Android phone, but I did not try very hard. Google Auto did not work with it.

Engine Performance
The 2013 is defintely more spirited. The 2015 was decent but dissapointing, doesn't lag but doesn't have jump. Transmission differences are partly responsible, the 2013 has a DSG transmission, and the 2015 has a standard automatic (slush box).

Engine noise
the 2015 was quieter

The 2015 was quieter all around, less road, engine and wind noise and rode very nicely on the highway. Forgot to see if the 2015 had seat heaters.

Interior space
I need headroom, and the no complaints for the 2015. The 2013 still has more. The 2015 head rest was slightly more annoying, pushing my head forward. I'd have to modify that to own one.

Back hatch of the Sportwagon is significantly bigger, but still requires 1/2 the back seat to be folded down to put a bike in the back.

Handling
The 2013 is so much more tight to drive and feels more sticky on corners. The Sportwagon just feels (relatively) big and less responsive.

Brakes
same

Fuel

The 2013 Golf is the best, anyone can see everything and park where others cannot. The Sportwagon did not fit into my garage.
Lots of incorrect information here...But glad you like your 2013

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
2015 TDI autotrans is DSG, all model TDIs- at least in the USA.
Also consider that the 2015 you drove has not been broken in yet- your 2013 surely is. It has been said that engine performance increase as well as cylinder compression settles at around 50,000 miles on diesels.

Also if you think it had a slushbox trans, could it be possible that you drove a TSI golf?

Last edited:

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Lots of incorrect information here...But glad you like your 2013
Yeah...so called personal experience lost me at the slush box comment. I got the impression that the OP isn't aware of what they are speaking about.

Last edited:

ericn

TDI
2013 Golf
What matters was being underwhelmed by the 2015 engine performance.

I guessed it was a slush box causing the lack of jump, didn't really check.
If it's not that, or weight, why isn't the 2015's acceleration better?
Do you need to drive the 2015 TDI differently, rev a lot higher?

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
You can rev higher in the Mk7. The torque curve stays flat about 500 rpm higher on the new engine. I don't exactly know what you mean by jump, but it could be the sensation of the Mk6 falling off the peak of the torque curve, then upshifting back onto the peak. It follows that you won't feel this sensation as much with a broader torque curve, but the Mk7 is technically faster by any objective measure, although not by a lot.

It also could be weight, i'm not sure why you discount that. Depending on trims and number of doors, you hatch could easily be a couple hundred pounds lighter than the Mk7 Sportwagen.

Some have noted that the new engine does feel more like a gas engine, and like you, don't enjoy it as much despite the superior numbers. To each his own. I personally thought it was no contest between the Mk7 and Mk6 powertrains, having driven them consecutively last year, but I wasn't accustomed to either before that. I think there's a high chance of subconscious bias in favor of the car one is used to.

Charley brings up two good points as well.

ericn

TDI
2013 Golf
Thanks for the reply, Andy, some good points. Yeah, I have a personal bias to the shorter car. Here I drove the 2015 Sportwagon the same way I drive the 2013: lots of mountain driving, torque and acceleration <50 mph matters, lots of curves, pavement can be rough.

And you are right, it does feel more like a gas engine, and the wagon more like a mazda 3. Did I say I like my 2013 Golf TDI? :)

Looked up some real data, US curb weights on rankingsandreviews.com:
2013 Golf TDI: 3074 lbs
2015 Golf Sportwagon S: 3246 lbs
2015 Golf TDI S: 3126 lbs
I expect weight effects acceleration more on an incline, yes?

Facts? Consider I just drove the 2015 because I needed to drive a car, no thought to a repeatable flat track test report. Decided to think and post about it afterwards when car was gone. The impressions are real, happy to learn of corrections.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I for one like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I will say that a brand-new member starting a thread which is perceived as negative in a Mk7 specific forum is a bit rough. We have seen it before. Credit to Eric the OP for coming back to continue the discussion.

Thanks for the reply, Andy, some good points. Yeah, I have a personal bias to the shorter car. Here I drove the 2015 Sportwagon the same way I drive the 2013: lots of mountain driving, torque and acceleration <50 mph matters, lots of curves, pavement can be rough.

And you are right, it does feel more like a gas engine, and the wagon more like a mazda 3. Did I say I like my 2013 Golf TDI? :)

Looked up some real data, US curb weights on rankingsandreviews.com:
2013 Golf TDI: 3074 lbs
2015 Golf Sportwagon S: 3246 lbs
2015 Golf TDI S: 3126 lbs
I expect weight effects acceleration more on an incline, yes?

Facts? Consider I just drove the 2015 because I needed to drive a car, no thought to a repeatable flat track test report. Decided to think and post about it afterwards when car was gone. The impressions are real, happy to learn of corrections.
Weight affects acceleration no matter what (Newton's Law). Energetically, more weight requires more power to drive uphill, accelerating or just at constant speed. Say, when you are cruising up La Honda Rd to Skyline Blvd, on your way to Thomas Fogarty Winery? Just a guess.

Anyhow, hang onto you 2013 for as long as you can, and when you're ready, maybe the Mk8 will be out!

ericn

TDI
2013 Golf
Andy wrote>>> cruising up La Honda Rd to Skyline Blvd, on your way to Thomas Fogarty Winery

Pretty close ;) Maybe next time you're in the neighborhood?

>>> negatives

The Sportwagon is just different, and clearly better for many people.

On performance, it could be that I was informed to expect more. I'll use my OBDlink to make objective comparisons before there is next time.

>>> 2013 for as long as you can, and when you're ready, maybe the Mk8 will be out!

We still have our 5-cyl MK5 Golf, too :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In my opinion, a lot of the handling observations are more related to the Golf versus the wagen. I own a 10 wagen and an 11 golf. Both TDIs with DSG. The Golf just handles tighter and seems "zippier". My wife and I disagree which seats we like better.

Glad to see that the OP did notice better mileage with the new engine.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon

Interior:

Electronics

Engine Performance

Engine noise
the 2015 was quieter

Interior space

Handling

Brakes
same

Fuel

You forgot to include a price comparison.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
I also recall reading on this forum that on the new MK7 - DSG first gear- engine power is reduced on purpose by VW. I guess to alleviate some of that jerkiness the DSGs are infamous for, specially on take off.

This is second hand info.... I have no hard facts.

Last edited:

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I also recall reading on this forum that on the new MK7 - DSG first gear- engine power is reduced on purpose by VW. I guess to alleviate some of that jerkiness the DSGs are infamous for, specially on take off.

I dont think that discussion was exclusive to the DSG or Mk7. I believe the implication was that this is true of many newer cars, and I don't think anyone mentioned one transmission specifically?

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I drove a 2015 GSW SE. Handling was terrible compared to my 2015 Golf SEL. Weight and added length must be part of it. Maybe suspension is tuned for softer ride on GSW's?

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
MOst definitely - the golf is shorter, more nimble, sporty little car,
The Wagon is a family hauler, made for a bit more comfortable ride.
The Wagon is not for the teenage crowd, :) I can say that because I am 45.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG

It would make sense. I know in my 6m car I can generate plenty of wheelspin in first, even at a tad less than full throttle, especially if the road is at all damp or a bit dusty.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
Our 2012 jetta DSG was pretty jerky at take off, you had to be very gentle on the throttle in first gear. I do not notice it on the 2015 GSW as much.

Could be just because I am more used to it by now.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
We currently have a '13 Golf TDI wagon, and a '16 Golf TSI. I just recently traded my Mk VI '11 Golf for the '16. All have/had manual gearboxes.

I'd have to say that for sheer driving pleasure, the Mk VI Golf was the best. Reliability is another story though, and that's why it was traded. Very flat cornering and perfect, linear steering feel. The Mk VII leans more toward the luxury side. It is significantly quieter, and slightly softer ride. I like it though.

The wagon is my wife's. The '13 wagon is really a Mk V, and the design is starting to show its age. It has a more boat-like feel. Handling is OK, but it's clearly not a sports car. Also the noisiest of the three. But as a family hauler, it's unbeatable, and a great long-distance cruiser.