Sirius SAT Renewal?

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 EL350BlueTec & 2011 Jetta TDI Comfortline
I just received the renewal notice from Sirius.
I went to their website and it's $164.89/year to continue after the 3 months trial.

http://www.sirius.ca/en/choose/consumer.aspx

Any one gotten better rates than this?
I find here in Toronto the signal drops when you drive under Hwy bridges and underground parking the SAT signal is blocked.

In open space it's great but is it worth the $$?

I'm tempted to just use my SD card to load music or FM radio.

Also I have a Pioneer indash GPS with rear view camera from my SUV (traded in for the TDI) that I am thinking of installing in the TDI if I do not renew the Sirius SAT service.

Currently I am using my old Garmin Nuvi GPS which works fine for now.

enki

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
I haven't had to sign up or renew yet, still on my trial (or pre-trial I guess). I did do some googling and found that most people can talk Sirius into paying only ~$76 for a year. Sometimes it takes multiple calls, but the success rate is pretty high.

Personally, I'm not to interested in it, but I wouldn't mind keeping it if I only had to pay $5-6/month. Any more than that and I wouldn't keep it.

CNdiesel

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Just got a renewal for satellite from Sirius/Ford, they are offering 6 months for $30, plus waiving the $20 activation fee, $80 in savings.

Says quote promo code (SAVE) when ordering.

Let it expire if you can't get a good deal, they will contact you with an offer soon after.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all for the good advice.
I'll wait it out and see what happens.

BTW, is the BlueTooth phone built into the Radio?
It's working fine with my BlackBerry.

My Pioneer in dash GPS also has a BT phone but it's BT sync takes 90 secs to hook up which is not as good as the VW's BT.
But the indash GPS has a 7" screen and it works great.

If possible I would keep the VW BT and just use the Pioneer GPS and disable it's BT.

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline
Here you go DC-IT - Canadian promo going I signed up for a week ago:

Offer from Sirius radio that gives 5 months for $4 each. No minimum time, so you can cancel any renewal before the 5th month is over.

Quote 'EXCELLENT' when calling.

Just watch to ensure the price they quote you is the same as what you get charged.

My bluetooth is annoying me, people complain about static and noise whenever I call from my car.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
Here you go DC-IT - Canadian promo going I signed up for a week ago:

Offer from Sirius radio that gives 5 months for $4 each. No minimum time, so you can cancel any renewal before the 5th month is over.

Quote 'EXCELLENT' when calling.

Just watch to ensure the price they quote you is the same as what you get charged.

My bluetooth is annoying me, people complain about static and noise whenever I call from my car.
Thanks Hellfire.
I'll surely renew if I can get that rate.

BTW, what cell phone are you using?
My BlackBerry seems to work fine and I do not have any complaints.
I do make a lot of calls in my cars and loved the voice commands for make out-bound calls. It's most convenient and safe.

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline
Shouldn't be an issue, just quote the promo code and tell em you got it in the mail or something. If it doesn't work - hang up and call back lol.

I have the BB Storm2 9550 with Telus. I've also had the same noise/static issue with a Motorola Milestone

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a BB8330 (2 years old on a 3 year contract with Telus).
It works great with both the TDI and my 335d and the reception is very loud and clear.

In fact in the TDI somehow I've set the volume too high so incoming calls are a bit too loud but that suits me fine as I am mostly on the highways and I have a hearing issue with my left ear!

I was thinking of upgrading my BB next May when the contract is up.
Maybe I should either keep it or change to an iPhone4?

Oh these past couple of days I'm having an issue with my radio.
When I start the car the radio comes on and the volume is very loud and stays that way till I set the car in gear and starts off then the volume instantly turns down to my preset level!:confused:

I'll see if it happens again tomorrow.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm.. sound like you have the speed dependent volume control option enabled like I do.
I do have that activated but the other issue with the radio blasting at almost full volume when I first start the engine is weird.
During start up since the car is stationary one would expect the radio to be at normal preset volume.

Squarehead

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
You can get a "lifetime" subscription for about $514~.
I had to call them to get it but that was back in 2008.
I'm not sure if they have it anymore but you must call them to get it.
It costs $75 to transfer from one device to another.

Red Sox Nation

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 manual Jetta Sedan
I do have that activated but the other issue with the radio blasting at almost full volume when I first start the engine is weird.
During start up since the car is stationary one would expect the radio to be at normal preset volume.

There is a "start up" volume setting too. I set mine really low.

*edit...disregard. just saw you had this preset.

Last edited:

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
My salesperson said that she just pays $60/year as well. She told me that when she sold me the car. She said to just keep acting uninterested until they get the price down to where you want it.

enki

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
It's been almost a month from when I bought my car and I still have service. Haven't had to sign up for the three month trial yet. I wonder how much longer I will get :).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It's been almost a month from when I bought my car and I still have service. Haven't had to sign up for the three month trial yet. I wonder how much longer I will get :).
I think that the dealer signs you up for the trial period. My guess is that you are one month into your 3 month trial. In 2009 we got a 6 month trial subscription (not 3 months), but I didn't have to do anything except pay to renew when the trial period was over. You will probably start getting letters (and then calls) from Sirius within a month or so.

Have Fun!

Don

trojancast

TDI
Jetta
Jeez you guys, I'd hate to go for breakfast with you. You just dropped 20K on a new car and you're squeezing nickels out of your Satrad. Maybe you should have bought a Hyundai!

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
Jeez you guys, I'd hate to go for breakfast with you. You just dropped 20K on a new car and you're squeezing nickels out of your Satrad. Maybe you should have bought a Hyundai!
Almost did buy a 2011 Hyundai Elantra for $29,000.00 + taxes!
But having driven a Diesel couldn't bring myself to buy another gasser for the same price more or less!

The point is if Sirius is offering deals like $5/month why would any fool pay >$160/year?:p

You may have $$$$ to throw away buy I make my $$ the hard way and I pay cash for my vehicles so I do not have any monthly payments and can drive the hell out of them and fully enjoy them without worrying how many KMs I put on them.:D:D:D

I haven't renew my SAT (still one more month to go for my trial) 'cos in Toronto there is always loss of signal issues when you drive under Hwy passes/exits or Gardener Express or going up Yonge Street when I have to switch over to FM!:mad:

But my main reason is I have a Pioneer in-dash Stereo/GPS which I may install in my TDI. I haven't done so 'cos the Pioneer BT takes too long to activate when I start the car while the VW's BT activates almost instantly which works better for me.
I have to find out if the VW BT is built into the head unit then I will have to live with the Pioneer slow connection.
If I can still use the VW BT and disable the Pioneer BT that would be the perfect solution.

But BC of the electrical recall I will wait till the recall is applied before I decide whether to install my Pioneer or live with the VW radio.

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG

Since when is being prudent with your money a bad thing? Yes I just dropped 18 on a car (after trade-in), but as another poster said, why pay $160/year when you can pay $60/year? That will buy a lot of breakfast!

ltheriau

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Trial subscription....

ended today, and I was ready for a telephone confrontation with Sirius.

It initially did start that way with the "first line" rep. All that changed as soon as I asked to speak to his supervisor.....

First, here's a bit of info. I've had a lifetime subscription since June 2009. These are no longer offered in Canada. All I wanted to do was transfer my subscription from my portable unit (this was in my old car) to the factory VW unit.

Well.....after getting interupted quite a few times by the first guy, I finally got the notion that he wasn't going to move off the $75 "transfer fee"!!!! Not to mention that I knew ahead of time that the "normal" transfer fee for monthly subscribers is $40. (which I was ready to pay)

Being as I couldn't get him to budge, I asked to speak to his supervisor......and what a relief this was. After explaining my plight, he came back to me and made the transfer......for NOTHING.

COOL!!!!! So after a bit of chit chat with the guy, I come to find out that the Call Center is located.......in Cairo, Egypt. Now THAT's interesting!!!!

Anyhow, I got my transfer for free. I guess it pays to complain.

Just my 2 cents....

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I pay $6.00 per month for my other Sirius equipped vehicle.

Wouldn't pay any more for the JSW than $6.00 per month.

I may even Cancel....my Blackberry streams Pandora to the JSW radio just fine.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
I pay $6.00 per month for my other Sirius equipped vehicle.

Wouldn't pay any more for the JSW than $6.00 per month.

I may even Cancel....my Blackberry streams Pandora to the JSW radio just fine.
Pandora = Sirius killer