bled brakes, feels really mushy

mistermog

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Just having got the car a couple weeks ago (04 PD TDI Jetta), i decided to bleed the brakes.

The old fluid that came out was opaque and black, so i bled it until it came out clear and green... (not sure why its green, my fluid was clear? stock fluid mighta been green?)

i bled 2 full big bottles through and still has a lot of mush in it.

I used the buddy on the brakes while i crack the bleeder over and over. Is there anything special about doing this car? I went RR, LR, RF, LF order.

I might go back and redo it with a check valve on the bleeder at some point if I can find one to fit.

Also, where the heck does all the fluid go pouring into the master? it just pours and pours and settles somewhere, hehe its a mystery! Maybe i have an air pocket somewhere?

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Did you do some research to make sure you used the right fluid? This is not your run of the mill Dot 3 brake fluid.

mistermog

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
5spd, I didn't touch the clutch. I'm wondering if I just sucked in a tad bit of air somewhere?

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If you let the reservoir get low when bleeding or some how else have let air into the abs system you may have a real problem getting it out. Best do a search on here for a "how to".

mistermog

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Right, I've bled at least 20 other cars without a problem. Not sure if there is something specific to this VW that isnt normal compared to the push and crack method. :)

Now that I'm thinking about it.. did anyone ever figure out the correct speed bleeders to get for the stock calipers?

Last edited:

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have heard of some people having problems with the master cyl after. It has been suggested to put a block of wood under the pedal to keep it from going all the way to the floor when bleeding.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed

mistermog

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I dont have a Vagcom yet... heh. Hmm, I didn't think about putting the pedal to the floor. It drives decent but its just a bit mushy. I might try bleeding it again with a little check valve bottle dealie that I have laying around somewhere this week, see if that helps it out.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Right, I've bled at least 20 other cars without a problem. Not sure if there is something specific to this VW that isnt normal compared to the push and crack method. :)

Now that I'm thinking about it.. did anyone ever figure out the correct speed bleeders to get for the stock calipers?
Sometimes the pedal stays soft. Mine is and has been for years. Others have reported this too. When the booster is active (engine running) I can work my pedal almost to the floor. There are no leaks in the system. I use a power bleeder, so do not get air in. It may be normal what you describe. If the car stops well, do not concern yourself with it.

If the previous owner ran the reservoir dry while bleeding (unlikely they ever messed with it, since the fluid was dirty), then there may be air trapped in the ABS unit. You could perform the automated VCDS (Scan tool) bleed of the ABS pump and see if that helps. I did and it did not help any.

As for the green color, I bet you got the brake fluid with blue dye to indicate when it gets to the bleeder bolts. Blue mixing with yellow (old fluid) makes green.

--Nate

mistermog

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
AH... yes, that sounds likely for the color... hahah I forgot all about that.

Yes previous owner didnt do anything to the brakes. I want to say before this that it wasnt like this but I really cant remember. Might just be the car? Ill try it again later with the one man bottle thingy.

I am nervous about doing the clutch because its plastic on mine.