“Service now” every start up

chachacha

TDI
not yet
I couldn’t find anything in the manual. My 2012 JSW 6mt says “service now” every time I start it up. When I go into the menu all is says is Service since 1300 miles or 17 days. Which was my last oil change. They said they reset the message.
Is this just one one the start up things or something to get looked at?

virtualpj

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
1. Turn the ignition on.
2. Press and hold TRIP button on the wipers stalk (right side of the steering wheel).
3. Use the TRIP buttons to navigate and OK/Reset button to confirm. Go to SETUP → Service interval → Reset and confirm the reset procedure.
4. Turn the ignition off.

In cars without MFD/MFA you can try this procedure:

1. Press and hold 0.0/SET button (right side of the instrument cluster).
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Release the 0.0/SET button.
4. Press menu button (left side of the instrument cluster).
5. Turn the ignition off.

chachacha

TDI
not yet
I did that. ”service now” came back two days later. This has happened twice. When I go to view a message I. The info screen it says Service since 200 miles it 2 days.

What does this mean. Is it telling me there is a problem or not?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Not familiar with the '12 model year, but the '14 has a service reminder in addition to the oil change reminder. Procedure to reset is:

turn on hazard flashers, push and hold the trip reset, turn on the ignition, let go of the trip reset. A message will appear in the MFD asking if you want to reset the service reminder.
Hope this helps

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
I tried the reset with the 0.0/Set button.

Now it doesn't say "Inspection and Oil Change Now!" but says "Change Oil Now!"

Guess I'll have to get out the ol' laptop and VCDS.

Too bad my JSW can't be as easy as my Golf.

Last edited:

chachacha

TDI
not yet
Not familiar with the '12 model year, but the '14 has a service reminder in addition to the oil change reminder. Procedure to reset is:

turn on hazard flashers, push and hold the trip reset, turn on the ignition, let go of the trip reset. A message will appear in the MFD asking if you want to reset the service reminder.
Hope this helps

I can reset it, but it keeps coming back. I’m trying to figure out if it’s telling me something else is wrong. Does it only mean an oil change is needed?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
"Service Now" you can reset Via the way mentioned above. "Oil Change Now" only by VCDS.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
"Service Now" you can reset Via the way mentioned above. "Oil Change Now" only by VCDS.
I have always been able to reset the oil change using the method I mentioned above minus turning on the hazard lights first.