2005 Passat Wagon GLS TDI

YNotTiguanTDI

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Gray with gray leather and cold weather package (heated seats) - 104K - Original owner - all highway/rural driving. Tires new this spring and have the original 17" Alloy wheels as well as a set of winter Michelin X-Ice. Asking $12,500

Selling this to buy hay for the winter for my horses - otherwise I'd keep it until I can get a Tiguan TDI or I give up on VW bringing them to the US. Plus we have 3 drivers and 4 vehicles which is a bit much at this point in time. Need the trucks so the TDI has to go.

All routine and recommended service has been performed - including but not limited to oil/filter change - with Castrol 5W40S Sythetic, air filters and tires etc... (I have the receipts). Haven't done the timing belt nor do I think there is any balance shaft module noise - have Dodge diesels and diesel tractors - the TDI just sounds like a quiet version of those.

I'm a total newbie at this so any suggestions are appreciated - thanks for the tips however some of you are definitely ruthless (of course I did routine maintenance) and somethings I'm clueless about (had to find a youtube video with the balance shaft module noise)

Still hoping for that Tiguan TDI - I'm located in SW Colorado which isn't the meca for TDIs - truckers still try to stop me from filling up with diesel.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
timing belt is overdue. any balance shaft module noise?

what version of Castrol- Syntec or TXT?

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Welcome YnotTiguanTDI!!!
Pictures would be nice too!!

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Only thing I've ever done was replace the air conditioning relay and change the oil - Castrol 5W40 Synthetic (I have the receipts)

Are you saying you have never changed the air filter or the trans fluid?

Michael Slade

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Variant, 01 Golf TDI 4-dr
My dad grew up in Red Mesa...I know the area well! I am in the market for another Passat, but I am looking at a V6 4Motion. I have a demented dream of doing a motor swap on the two cars...but that would be a nightmare.

I am in the middle of the TB/BS job and your price point seems a little high w/out that work being done.

If the horses need hay and you need to move the car quick, I might second guess the price. Not bagging on you at all, just a head's up that that's what a potential buyer who knows the inherent problems will be thinking.

Good luck!

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
May I respectfully ask why you have let the timing belt assembly go 23K+ miles over? Being the original owner and all I think VOA sent letters to all owner's specifying 80K mile recommendation over what was specified in the owner's manual. Later!

snoking1

TDI
1999 Jetta
I do have some interest in your car; however, I find it somewhat curious that you answered my question but did not respond to the others who also asked you some questions.

I too, as well as anyone else who might be interested, would like to know the answers to those questions...hope you understand.

Thanks

YNotTiguanTDI

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
May I respectfully ask why you have let the timing belt assembly go 23K+ miles over? Being the original owner and all I think VOA sent letters to all owner's specifying 80K mile recommendation over what was specified in the owner's manual. Later!
Well I have had it checked at 80K but mechanic thought it was fine - definitely 3K over according to my manual seems like everyone has a different opinion - never received VOA letter so had to go with manual

Last edited:

YNotTiguanTDI

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
what VW oil spec did this Castrol have?
Guess I'll have to look up specs for Castrol 5W40s Synthetic - I'm confused however because I couldn't find a Castrol 5W40S TXT as asked in your first thread - did you mean GTX? Either way I have no idea which was used... but mechanic knows to use diesel synthetic so who knows - I'll ask next time I'm in...

Sorry - Newbie confusion...

Last edited:

YNotTiguanTDI

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
however, I find it somewhat curious that you answered my question but did not respond to the others who also asked you some questions.
Got the e-mail from you but not from TDITom - Harvieux - newbie or some thing blocked from them but not you - I have no idea.

Nothing subversive just not hanging out on TDIForum...

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Well I have had it checked at 80K but mechanic thought it was fine - definitely 3K over according to my manual seems like everyone has a different opinion - never received VOA letter so had to go with manual
Yup, I actually agree that most of the many belts I'm exposed to could go to 100K on BEWs, BRMs, and BHWs. It's just that with me being a TDI specific dealer and full service TDI facility, I have to go with what VW recommends because all it would take is one snafu and I would be the scum of the earth to the owner who's belt went until I told them I would eat the damage which is what I would do but, fortunately will never happen on my watch.;) Later!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
... I'm confused however because I couldn't find a Castrol 5W40S TXT as asked in your first thread - did you mean GTX? Either way I have no idea which was used... but mechanic knows to use diesel synthetic so who knows - I'll ask next time I'm in...

Sorry - Newbie confusion...
i'll make it really easy- just fill in the x:

"The Castrol 5W40 used in my car was called xxxxxxx and approved for VW spec 505.0x".