window wont go up.. now what

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
its always something with this car!! seems to have never ending window/door problems for me!

the driver side window has been weird lately... doesnt want to go up. sometimes it will, now it seems to be stuck down and winter is coming soon. I need to get this figured out, its not fun on long road trips!

I can hear a clicking come from the door when it tries to bring the window up. what does that indicate?

is there a quick/temp fix to force it up and then not lower it until its fixed?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Is it still the switch if I can hear the motor making a click to go up and down. It’s trying to do something.

Last edited:

atikovi

Veteran Member
OK too old to be controlled by a module. If you have a wiring diagram you could find which wires go to the motor from the switch and add power and ground.

atikovi

Veteran Member
If you have the motor exposed, remove the connector and put 12V to one pin and ground to the other. Might have to reverse them if the window goes in the wrong direction. If it still doesn't work, the gears in the motor may be damaged.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
https://youtu.be/6ekb8jXla2g

Ok apparently it’s the motor. I smacked it lightly with a hammer. Didn’t work. Smacked it harder with a hammer. Didn’t work. Took it out and rage smacked it against the ground (new one on the way from a wrecker) and it made it work!!! It burped and hiccuped and slowlt started to spin in the Up direction. Bolted it on and rolled the window up ASAP. Rain clouds are rolling in. Just in time. My aggressiveness fixed the door motor but all the tabs on my driver side door card are now broken. Oh well. At least I can highway drive now!!

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
How so? If by switch, you mean the buttons I press, then the switch is confirmed to be fine in the video I figured.

When I press “window down” on the switch, the motor will spin forever. UNTIL I hit “window up” (or down) on the switch. Which stops it instantly. BUT “window up” will NOT make it spin in the up direction, it only makes it click and stops it from spinning after I hit “window down” If that makes sense. I think that points towards the motor only wanting to spin one way for whatever reason

Either way, I unhooked the motor. Smacked it flat against the concrete real hard three times and it made it work. Sounds a bit funny and weak now, but at least it moves!! Window staying up till the new one arrives

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
the part number on my window motor is:
1J1959801C

almost looks like someones been in there before... makes sense as my car driver side was t boned before I bought it. so this probably isnt the oem window motor in there eh? part number says its from an 99-01?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My driver's side front window would only go up with the auto function of the switch; not the manual. I used to take apart the switch and clean and reinstall. This would work for a year or so. I finally broke down and replaced the switch assembly.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
This could truly be a two part problem . . . The switch may be failing, and not passing enough current to run the motor in "Up" (more than in "Down", since gravity helps the window go down) and a gunked up motor needing more power than normal to move, and hence the "shock therapy" helping . . . Myself, I'd check both . . .

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
The contact on my switch makes it go down every time. I have to try several times for it to go up. When flicking it up the switch itself pivots exessively upward, but will the roll window up. Bad switch contacts make the motor behave strangely.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
CHECK the accordion on the door for broken wires.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I checked the accordion as much as I could. Seemed fine. Opening and closing the door didn’t help. Smacking the door didn’t help. Removing the motor and smacking it real hard on the ground is what fixed it. Still works fine. Motor sounds rough and struggling, but it’s been a few days and windows went up and down 10-15 times now. I try not to use it much in fear it won’t go back up.

Got a used motor from a local guy for $20 and $10 shipping. It’ll be here tomorrow.

A new switch is on the short list of it acts up again.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Maybe the tracks are gummed up - try spraying silicone lube into the tracks the window runs in, maybe it'll take a little load off the motor and buy you a little more time.

I had a sticky spot in a track causing the pinch-protect to trip recently.