MN Chat Thread

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Indigo,

Just buy a new one, cut off the old one, and run the cable from the firewall connection thru the compartment and to the plugs, 15 minute job.

Sam

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
gah, blinking glow plug light... I don't have time for this. From what I've read it may be related to brake lights? or the switch? or is that wishful thinking. When I start the car - the gpl cycles (although quickly - thanks Terry!) and after idle for 15+/- sec. it starts blinking.
My 02' Golf did this a few years ago and it was due to both brake lights being out. Try replacing these first but as jfettig recommends it would be a good idea to scan for the codes as well.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Scan away, but it still sounds like the harness to me, otherwise how would it know your brake lights were out until you pressed them. 15 sec's is what I remember with my harness issues. You can also try to clean the connections at the glow plugs.

Last edited:

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I called the dealer in Rochester and started to explain the problem and brought up the brake lights - he said "no way it could be that - they are on completely different fuses" I hung up. I've also read about the switch being recalled - is that true?

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I believe they had a recall, but you can do a quick check by jamming a stick down on the pedal, and seeing if they actually work. (I think they only work with the ignition on) It's the top bulbs on both sides.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Flashing GP light has nothing to do with the glow plugs.
Borrowed from another member:

Causes of flashing glow plug light
Because this is a frequently asked question, I (MOGolf) went digging through info for '01 ALH and made the following list of known reasons for the glow plug light to flash. They are listed with the VW code and generic reader P code.
00741 Brake pedal monitoring - implausible signal
01044 Control unit incorrectly coded
16705/P0321 Engine speed sensor - implausible signal
16706/P0322 Engine speed sensor - no signal
16955/P0571 Brake light switch (F) - implausible signal
17653/P1245 Needle lift sender (G80) - short to earth
17654/P1246 Needle lift sender (G80) - Implausible signal
17655/P1247 Needle lift sender (G80) - Open circuit/short to positive
17762/P1354 Modulating piston movement sender (G149) - electrical fault in current circuit
17969/P1561 Metering adjuster (N146) - control difference
17978/P1570 Engine control unit blocked
18020/P1612 Control unit incorrectly coded
18026/P1618 Glow plug relay (J52) - short to positive
18027/P1619 Glow plug relay (J52) - open circuit/short to earth
18040/P1632 Accelerator position sender - voltage supply
17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached
P1562 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
It also flashes when an interface tool has put the ECM in 'basic settings' mode.
There may be more; these are the ones I found documented.
The brake light monitoring includes the clutch switch (manual transmission cars). It also includes a possibility of blown brake light bulbs.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Scan away, but it still sounds like the harness to me, otherwise how would it know your brake lights were out until you pressed them. 15 sec's is what I remember with my harness issues. You can also try to clean the connections at the glow plugs.
When mine had GP issues the GP light came on solid, not flashing.

So I gutted the relay like a caveman and then gutted the programming. :p

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Yep, sounds like I'm blinking wrong, mine was on solid too. : )

Last edited:

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
took her out today and no GPFL and after a trip to the recycling station (~3 miles) - shut her down - got back in and the light started flashing again. After driving about 10 miles it stopped. seems like a problem with an intermittent electrical connection -yes?

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Still getting used to the winter tire game.

Anybody still waiting for worse weather to put winter tires on their car?

Anybody have a set of 16" VW aluminum rims appropriate for winter tires they want to sell me for a reasonable price? I suspect it's time to put winter tires on the '15 Golf . . . KIS tells me to just get a new set of steel wheels when I get the tires, but what the heck, might as well check and see if anybody local has anything interesting collecting dust . . .

alha

TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon 5 spd & '05 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
greengeeker, do you know if the 2nd one you listed would fit on to an 04 Jetta wagon? I'm debating getting a set of steels, or doing what I did on my LS400, and use the current factory 15" aluminums for the snows, and get a set of 16/17"s for the summer tires. Of course, I have no idea as to what would actually fit under this car, but I'm sure there are many people here who have traveled this road before me. Any suggestions?

Simple_Man

TDI
Golf, 2002
Anyone out there with 1 or maybe 2 5x100 x 15" steel wheels they want to sell?
My wife and I both found a chuck of broken road this morning. I need one rim for her car for sure.

Thanks

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Dang, just sold my spare to someone on here...

Closest junk yard I know of that sells wheels is St. Francis.
Abco might, but I try and stay away from them, they're killing off smaller friendlier places like Sam's auto wrecking and Jellison's.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
05 Paint Job

I ended up taking the 05 to a detailer to get it polished after my paint job. They took it from a 20' paint job to about a 5' paint job. I think it looks OK for a college kids car!

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 16" steel wheel sitting around... 5x112 i think (i'll have to measure it to make sure), if anyone needs one...

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Not bad, do mine next ;)
I think my car painting days are OVER! :p
My shoulders won't take the sanding and polishing anymore...
I will recommend Mint Condition Car Detailing in Eden Prairie if anyone is looking to get their car detailed.
Those guys did a great job on it!
d

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
I have to give props to Metric Auto in St. Paul. Adam warrantied out an axle that I bought from them in April of last year. I found the boot slit on it the other day. I called Metric, where I had bought it from, and found out that the warranty is only for 12 months. Adam exchanged it for a new one for me today. Great customer service.

Ram Man 02

TDI
02 Dodge CTD
Hello everyone. first post here. My name is Jeremiah. ive been thinking about getting Diesel VW for a commuter car. I currently own an 02 dodge diesel that i bought new so im not completely unfamiliar with diesels and have a ford focus for every day. needless to say the focus lacks in the mileage department.
I joined this forum so i can research more about the various tdi's. i havent spent a lot of time on here but i just wanted to say HI for starters.
Friend told me that i should look for an ALH car so thats what im here to research.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hello everyone. first post here. My name is Jeremiah. ive been thinking about getting Diesel VW for a commuter car. I currently own an 02 dodge diesel that i bought new so im not completely unfamiliar with diesels and have a ford focus for every day. needless to say the focus lacks in the mileage department.
I joined this forum so i can research more about the various tdi's. i havent spent a lot of time on here but i just wanted to say HI for starters.
Friend told me that i should look for an ALH car so thats what im here to research.
Welcome! Take a look at this list of TDI's available stateside: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324509

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Welcome aboard!

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Does anyone have any experience changing a rear wheel bearing/hub on a B5.5? I think I have my rogue noise figured out.
NAPA has hub assemblies from ~$80.00 to ~$230.00. Two say no ABS, the third doesn't say. Of course the third is the $230.00 one.
I have not torn into it yet. I wanted to have the parts on hand before I did.
Any Idea on the rear ABS setup? Is the tone ring or whatever in the hub assembly, or a piece that bolts in?)
I swapped out the rear hub Saturday. The ABS tone ring is built into the back of the hub. The ABS sensor is held in with an o-ring and clip. Pretty simple to swap out.

If someone knows how to upload a video you can hear the sound... Or I can e-mail it if you are interested. It's like a kazoo in the hub!
d

Ram Man 02

TDI
02 Dodge CTD
what is everyone opinion about the kelly blue book values for tdi's? most are asking significantly more (30-50%) then book value. ive seen some around book but need work and lower milage manuals are close to double book.
for example i was looking at manual jettas in the 96-03 range.
Thanks much!!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
KBB isn't going to be a good pricing guide for TDI's. For the car you describe expect to pay in the $4000-5500 range depending on miles, condition, etc. Beware of the cheap TDI - you'll end up putting a lot into super cheap TDI right away in repairs.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
what is everyone opinion about the kelly blue book values for tdi's? most are asking significantly more (30-50%) then book value. ive seen some around book but need work and lower milage manuals are close to double book.
for example i was looking at manual jettas in the 96-03 range.
Thanks much!!
This is the time of year to buy a TDI, because of the seasonal pattern to fuel prices. Sellers of VW TDIs are getting desperate, because cheap gasoline makes petrol-powered cars more desirable.

So you have probable the next two months to find the best TDI you can find, with low miles and complete service records. After that gasoline prices will start creeping upward relative to diesel.