Ceika brakes are trash

SmoothAv8or

TDI
2013 MK6 Jetta Sedan TDI Premium w/NAV
After several years now of headaches of trying to get these brakes to work and the nightmare of dealing with Ceika, I have finally given in on issuing a warning to anyone that may come across these brake as a viable option for their vehicle.

I installed a set of small 4POT calipers with their cross drilled & slotted rotors on the rear of my vehicle in the fall of 2016. At 20 months (June 2018) the brakes were in such bad shape that the drivers side rear completely seized while driving, resulting in a blown rear tire and destroyed wheel. After ordering new wheels & tires to replace the rear, I had the calipers torn down, cleaned, and pistons & O-rings replaced. Ultimately what seemed to be the issue in this instance was their proprietary parking brake system which was hanging up and causing the calipers to drag and ultimately seize. At this point I had credit with Ceika for writing an initial review of their brakes when I had them installed in the fall of 2016, so these parts were comped. Unfortunately for me, this happened while 18 hours away from home for work, and had to have this work done by the local VW dealer in that city.

Then later in 2018, I was back in my home town at this point, I had my shop look at the brakes to fix the parking system which had just been disconnected by the VW dealer, to find that the calipers needed to be fully rebuilt. I once again reached out to Ceika to get parts for this repair. They did comp a new parking brake setup, but then charged me for the rest of the parts to fully rebuild the calipers.

Here we are in the present, 13 months after the rebuild in October of 2018, and once again I am away from home for work. As I am pulling into the parking lot of the airport, the drivers side rear caliper again completely seized. I was able to get the vehicle into a parking spot, but not without wearing a significant bald spot in the tire. I will now need a new set of rear tires, before even tackling this repair once again. $1200 tow truck to get the vehicle home, I’m approximating $700 in rental car fees, $700 in parts from Ceika, and I’m approximating $400 in labor to year these brakes down once again and rebuild.

Through this entire process with Ceika, they have issued multiple excuses as to what could be the cause of the problem, none of which is accepting blame.
•Install error
•driving conditions
•dirty brakes
They then request pictures of the brakes, which I have sent several, and every time their response is that they are unable to identify any issues with the brakes from the pictures, of course they can’t.

It’s embarrassing that I ever did business with this company. I am fed up with their customer service representative I have had the misfortune of dealing with and the poor quality of these brakes. However, with the money I spent up front to purchase this BBK I keep hoping the problem will get resolved, which is foolish, I know.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
What is all of this noise? Have never had a problem with 80 dollar powerslots or whatever they are from amazon. Sorry you wasted so much money on trying to make your car stop.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
What is all of this noise? Have never had a problem with 80 dollar powerslots or whatever they are from amazon. Sorry you wasted so much money on trying to make your car stop.

SmoothAv8or

TDI
2013 MK6 Jetta Sedan TDI Premium w/NAV

Lol! Yes, I know. It’s my own fault for trying to make this car seem cool. Just wanted something to match the front BBK visually. They look nice, until they don’t, and never work right to begin with.

I was going in circles with one of their CSR’s that lives to keep selling me more parts, and blaming the malfunction on installation. It wasn’t until I posted a video of what had happened to my brakes after driving a little over a mile with these brakes that their director of marketing reached out to me, only to tell me there are no issues with their brakes and that I needed to stop spamming them. Great customer service, right?

This picture shows how hot the rotors got before I could safely pull over. Melted the center cap right out of the wheel.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah people trying to make these cars into race cars when a stock Lexus can beat them. They are commuters, I race my real race car at the track. Hope you get it worked out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Yet another case of when bigger isn't better, eh?

With that much heat, I'd wager you probably shortened the wheel bearings' life a little bit too.

Go back to the quality OEM+ stuff and have peace of mind. Good luck.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow yeah probably cooked the grease too and seals on the bearings. Just put back to oem and chill out lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk