Won't start after fuel filter change

bubba

TDI
2005 Passat
I screwed up. :eek: I changed the fuel filter and forgot to fill it with fuel or additive. Car started and ran for a bit. I have changed the fuel filter several times in the past, filled with fuel etc. no problems, not sure why I spaced it out this time. Please help. I have cycled the key many times in hopes that the tank pump would prime but to no avail. I appreciate your advice. Merry Christmas!

WeLikeBlue

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Passat
I screwed up. :eek: I changed the fuel filter and forgot to fill it with fuel or additive. Car started and ran for a bit. I have changed the fuel filter several times in the past, filled with fuel etc. no problems, not sure why I spaced it out this time. Please help. I have cycled the key many times in hopes that the tank pump would prime but to no avail. I appreciate your advice. Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too, sir!:)

Did you try filling the filter with fuel after your initial attempts? That's what I would do first. Pull the thermo tee off the filter and use your wife's turkey baster (you got her a new one for tomorrow, right?:D) to fill the filter with diesel or Power Service, etc. And oh yeah, check that the thermo tee has its O-ring still attached where the tee plugs into the filter.

Put the thermo tee back on and make certain your other lines are securely attached to the filter. Now get in and fasten the driver's seatbelt (if you haven't disabled the annoying seatbelt chime), turn the key ON and listen for the telltale "whoosh" noise from the fuel tank area. Turn the key off. Turn it on again and wait for the "whoosh" to stop. If successful you may have to do this sequence fifteen times or more to purge the air. If you're not hearing the in-tank fuel pump making the "whoosh", it might not be priming the fuel system and you're gonna have to get it working first.

Finally, try to start the car. If it won't start after 5 or 6 seconds, stop and try cycling the fuel pump again as I described. Good luck!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Possible needs a lift pump. Pull the line and jumper the relay to see if you get any flow. I've seen quite a few weak pumps that surface during a filter change. That's why I'm waiting till AFTER the holidays to change mine....I figure its due, been 100k since the last one.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Did you get hoses mixed up? Fuel coming from the tank uses the white striped hose and are attached to the metal tubes on the filter. Fuel,returning to the tank is in the blue striped hoses and are attached to the fuel tee. If you reverse them, there is enough fuel to start and briefly run the car. Then it will not start no matter how many times you crank it. Let's just say I know this from experience :eek::rolleyes:

bubba

TDI
2005 Passat
Good to Go!

Thanks folks! The key was cycling the key about 20 times and making sure the filter was topped off. :D

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Thanks folks! The key was cycling the key about 20 times and making sure the filter was topped off. :D
That has to be the scariest part (to me) of changing the fuel filter, even if you know you did it right and that you have to keep cranking. After the first couple of cranks, doubt begins to set in. Then when the "STOP" message shows up it's like "oh sh*t. Maybe I really did f*ck it up." ;)

lardope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV
So true... crank that key!

That has to be the scariest part (to me) of changing the fuel filter, even if you know you did it right and that you have to keep cranking. After the first couple of cranks, doubt begins to set in. Then when the "STOP" message shows up it's like "oh sh*t. Maybe I really did f*ck it up." ;)
This is so true. I replaced my fuel filter today and instead of filling it up with diesel, decided to do the cycle the key on and off technique. I first cycled it 10 times, then cranked and nothing. Then cycled 15, 20, 25, and 30 times, cranked and nothing. I even removed the hose from the filter to the engine to check it only for the built up pressure to spray diesel all over me and the engine compartment. Finally, I did it again, but this time, instead of cranking for 3-4 seconds, I cranked for like 6 seconds, and it started!

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I've done the fuel filter change procedure 4 times now, and each time I completely filled the new filter canister to the tippy top with clean fuel to get all the air out. Put it back in, make sure the "mickey mouse" clip is securing the T properly and turn key - engine starts immediately. I see no reason to ever vary from this procedure.
2005 Passat TDI
83,400 miles
stock

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
... I completely filled the new filter canister to the tippy top with clean fuel to get all the air out. Put it back in, make sure the "mickey mouse" clip is securing the T properly and turn key - engine starts immediately. I see no reason to ever vary from this procedure.
I agree.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Just needs the injector feed unions loosened when cranking till fuel squirts out...

Loosen the unions and after a few turns of the engine, it will have filled the filter and bled the fuel lines, tighten the unions one by one whilst still cranking...

Once you've tightened all four, turn the key and it will then start...

Stand back and admire your newly learned skill!!

Last edited:

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I just changed on both Passats. I left the return union off and cycled the key till the filter was full. then started immediately.

vdub

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I changed the fuel filter on 2015 Gof TDI, filled filter with fuel, started and let it idle while I checked for leaks. None. Shut car off to change oil. Drained and refilled oil. Frustrated-Left old filter-no tool to get filter housing off. Tried to start, wouldn't. Attempted the key on procedure for about 10-15x.

Still won't start. Acts like it wants to run, fires a couple of times then stops.

Do I continue the key on procedure more? I've thought about the VCDS, but tripping over the cost as I only do filter changes and minor things, is that my best option at this point? Thanks for any help as you've helped me in the past when I started with diesels in 2000.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I think you are getting air in the fuel system. Remove the top of the fuel filter, see if it is still completely full. It should be.

Look for any signs of fuel leaking from the system between the filter and the engine. Review the fuel filter change procedure for the '015 Golf one more time on U-Tube and see if you failed to follow all the steps. Make sure the gasket is in the proper place and the top is secured completely and evenly all around the perimeter and all the hose clamps and connections are leak free and are tight.

If there is considerable air head space in the filter when you take the lid off, that would indicate that you may be getting air in the filter around the lid of the filter.

If the filter is completely full, and there are no air leaks, it should start immediately every time, assuming everything else is in order.

I can't see how your issue could be related to the oil change unless you accidentally dislodged something messing with the oil filter housing.

Last edited: