Problems with VCDS Anybody?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
To my surprise, I've had problems with my KII Rosstech cable and the latest
version of VCDS, 19.6.2. 2 of my laptops with Win10 , when logging in to adaptation, "drop the session".

Leaving me unable to tweak my IQ, check the timing graph, etc.

My 3rd computer with IIRC, an 18.9 version, has no problem.
Same cable, same car, clearly a software glitch of some sort.
Anybody else? Or a possible fix?
TIA!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Not certain the versions (but prior to yours) but I have also noted that the laptop I have dedicated to VCDS has gotten more and more 'twichy' as release numbers have grown. All else works the same, hut as you have seen, VCDS has been having increased trounle holding a connection and overall stability as revs have increased.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My 3rd computer with IIRC, an 18.9 version, has no problem.
Same cable, same car, clearly a software glitch of some sort.
Anybody else? Or a possible fix?
TIA!

Same cable, same car but a different computer. Your problem could be the computer itself.
Assuming that you are the registered owner of the KII, I would suggest posting of the VCDS forum: https://forums.ross-tech.com/forum.php
You will get the fastest and most accurate answers there. I have personally had no issues the the latest version, but anything is possible.

Have Fun!

Don

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Do you have to register your computer with them. I know my program works specifically with my laptop. I inquired once about being able to use the program from someone else’s computer, and Ross tech did not allow that. I never asked about multiple computers of my own because I only have the laptop .

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Same cable, same car but a different computer. Your problem could be the computer itself.
Assuming that you are the registered owner of the KII, I would suggest posting of the VCDS forum: https://forums.ross-tech.com/forum.php
You will get the fastest and most accurate answers there. I have personally had no issues the the latest version, but anything is possible.

Have Fun!

Don
Don,

My laptops are old Dells, which I keep updated as best I can. My take is
software is increasingly complicated, and less and less reliable. The monetizing of the Internet has unleashed waves of tracking, spying, collection of data, yada yada yada. We are now hooked on our screens,
at the cost of reliability. The hardware itself has been cheapened to the
point where sometimes the only solution is to buy the "latest and greatest". Only to have that fail in a couple years.
Sign me Dissapointed with it all.

Thanks for the input gents, I'll get in touch with Rosstech, my cable is registered.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have to register your computer with them. I know my program works specifically with my laptop. I inquired once about being able to use the program from someone else’s computer, and Ross tech did not allow that. I never asked about multiple computers of my own because I only have the laptop .

Apparently you are using VCDS-Lite for generic ODBII cables. VCDS-Lite is registered to one and only one computer. The OPs KII interface runs full VCDS and it will work with any computer because the VCDS license is in the cable, not in the computer.

Have Fun!

Don

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Being that you have an old cable that can't be used on anything newer than a Mk4, I would keep in mind that most of what VCDS updates are are for increasing compatibility of their newer generation interfaces with newer cars.

With that in mind, I think the best solution in your case is to simply revert back to the last version that didn't give you issues. And it might be easiest to simply copy the program you have on your other computer (the 18.9 version) and hopefully that resolves it. If it does, I would simply not update VCDS anymore after that.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Matt,
I'll simply turnoff the wifi on my elderly computer, and update NOTHING.
Thanks for the insight on "new & improved" VCDS. The newer cars are so
overloaded with software and sensors that it becomes unmanageable, at least for me.

When my 2010 got totalled, I'm very glad I made the decision to "downgrade" to the MkIV.
Cheers!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Apparently you are using VCDS-Lite for generic ODBII cables. VCDS-Lite is registered to one and only one computer. The OPs KII interface runs full VCDS and it will work with any computer because the VCDS license is in the cable, not in the computer.

Have Fun!

Don
Cable came from Ross Tech, it does not say VCDS Lite anywhere on the program, how would I tell and what's the difference? When I purchased it they claimed it would read any current vehicle, but that it was registered it to my computors address only.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cable came from Ross Tech, it does not say VCDS Lite anywhere on the program, how would I tell and what's the difference? When I purchased it they claimed it would read any current vehicle, but that it was registered it to my computors address only.

In that case, you would have to talk to Ross-Tech. Does the cable have any brand name or other writing on it? A long time ago R-T did sell some cables for VCDS-Lite with the Ross-Tech name on them. Does your cable have a label like any of the one pictured on this page? https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/

Have Fun!

Don

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In that case, you would have to talk to Ross-Tech. Does the cable have any brand name or other writing on it? A long time ago R-T did sell some cables for VCDS-Lite with the Ross-Tech name on them. Does your cable have a label like any of the one pictured on this page? https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/

Have Fun!

Don
Just in case of any misunderstanding, I am not the OP and mine works fine. I purchased mine new from Ross Tech, Hex+Can cable. It is registered to the I P address of my laptop and will not function on another, at least that is what I was told by Ross Tech. I am not sure if it is VCDS Lite, but it does not say so on my program

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
And the confusion begins. Which cable for which car? Various versions
support different "levels", some of the newer ones are limited to 3 VINS,
or limited to one computer.

The pros pay more, and nowadays is an essential tool for working on a wide
variety of platforms and years. My understanding is my KII works on VWs
up to 2010. I had that cable in my 2010, but neglected to pull it out after my car was totalled. Been kicking myself over that error ever since.

My current cable came from IDParts as a closeout 3 years ago. I've used it on another MkIV with no problem. As Matt pointed out, my problem is most likely a software glitch with the latest version of VCDS.

Staying on top of the plethora of options, and increasingly proprietal attempts to protect their software and sales, makes the codes increasingly
obtuse and difficult. Out technology has improved and gotten faster, but sadly performance in the real world is losing ground, and getting less reliable and usable.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Russells KII-usb has license and full functionality built into the cable. I suspect Windows, especially if you're using a serial to USB adapter. Get with Ross, they should be able to help.
I would guess ID sold you a fully functional authorized device.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And the confusion begins. Which cable for which car? Various versions
support different "levels", some of the newer ones are limited to 3 VINS,
or limited to one computer.

The pros pay more, and nowadays is an essential tool for working on a wide
variety of platforms and years. My understanding is my KII works on VWs
up to 2010.

A KII interface only supports K-Line communications (the 2 is for dual K-lines in some cars). Therefore, it probably only was able to communicate with some modules in your 2010. Generally speaking VW switched most controllers to CAN bus communications in about 2005.5, although my 2009 could still talk to the ECU via K-Line but not much else.

If you have any intention of working on Mk5 or newer VWs a more modern interface is recommended. A used HEX+CAN will work fine for VWs up until about 2016 model year. I now have a 2018 and I had to upgrade my interface to a newer one.

The new (current) interfaces will work with ALL VWs and for an owner who does not work on other peoples cars, 3 VINs is often enough. Remember that you do not use up a VIN just for scanning and clearing fault codes and you can work on an unlimited number of 2004 and before because they do not report their VIN to VCDS.

Just in case of any misunderstanding, I am not the OP and mine works fine. I purchased mine new from Ross Tech, Hex+Can cable. It is registered to the I P address of my laptop and will not function on another, at least that is what I was told by Ross Tech. I am not sure if it is VCDS Lite, but it does not say so on my program

There is apparently something here that I do not understand. I was under the impression that a HEX+CAN would work on any computer (mine did).
Perhaps Jef (from Ross-Tech) will see this thread and add some knowledge.

Have Fun!

Don

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With mine I could not download the program and use it on another computer, meaning my software could not be downloaded and activated on more than one computer, at least not at the same time. Ross Tech had my I P address when I downloaded the software. Prohibits people from sharing the program. The cable itself could be used by multiple programs or people.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have MicroCAN w/USB,and the software is a public download from Ross Tech. I've run it on numerous computers - nothing cares since, as others have noted, the cable *IS* the license . . .

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to all who've contributed to the discussion.
Educational and illuminating, I'll simply stick with my lowest rung
'puter, and leave well enough alone. It works! At least for the minor
tweaks I'm doing, just adjusted my gas gauge, lol, though I did have to
refer to the forums here to find out where the adaptation lurked.
Cheers all!