Goodbye GTI hello Q5 TDI

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
TDI Friends... my first post on the forum in a few years...
After years of loving my 2016 GTI I finally had to move on and get back to TDIs
... So it's Goodbye GTI Hello Q5 TDI ... Just picked up a 2016 Q5 TDI Premium Plus.. with a little over 6,000 miles... 20" wheels and a few other bells and whistles...from Niello Audi in Sacramento. She was first sold in October 2018 so a number of years of original warranty left + one extra year of Certified Audi per-owned (unlimited miles) at the end of original warranty...
I will not be modding this one .. has plenty of power for now.. Just enjoying the drive and power.. except maybe drag racing Matt's Touareg V10 on the 1/4 mile at Sears point
I totally LOVE it!! Most comfortable car I ever owned.... First ever automatic & AWD car I owned ... First ever luxury car... old guys need this ... Still in the honeymoon phase :)
Anyways thought I would introduce her to my old friends here on TDIClub
Goodbye GTI

Hello Q5 TDI

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
And don't forget the DSG tune. Great standalone upgrade and a must with the TDI tune.
Not a DSG in the Q5. It's a torque converter automatic, 8 speed made by ZF (where the Touareg/Q7/Cayenne 8 speeds are Aisin built).

Congrats on the fancy new whip! I think the additional 1400 lbs my Touareg carries might be the deciding factor if we were to line up. That Q5 might legitimately whoop the V10.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Not a DSG in the Q5. It's a torque converter automatic, 8 speed made by ZF (where the Touareg/Q7/Cayenne 8 speeds are Aisin built).
Congrats on the fancy new whip! I think the additional 1400 lbs my Touareg carries might be the deciding factor if we were to line up. That Q5 might legitimately whoop the V10.
Let's put them to the test and bring someone to video it :D

Do they still have Wednesday night drag races at sears point?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Let's put them to the test and bring someone to video it :D
Do they still have Wednesday night drag races at sears point?
haha

I found a schedule for 2019 for bracket drags. Nothing for 2020 yet, but yeah, looks like they still do it. $25 fee. Last date on the 2019 schedule was December 1st...

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
That is really nice. I've never driven a Q5, but I bet that I'd like it a lot better than our Toureg which is just too massive too me. Maybe we'll consider one for a Touareg replacement when the time comes, but they do seem fairly rare to me. I appreciate the Touareg for being the beast that it is, but I'll take my JSW any day in terms of driving enjoyment and I don't need the fancy bits that are on the Touareg. But blasting around in the snow with our Treg on snow tires is pretty fun and it feels pretty unstoppable.