CV shield, manual gearbox

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
So, I recently finished a manual conversion of a 2005 B5.5 Passat Wagon. EEN gearbox from Frans (thanks Frans.) Binary bits from Malone, (thanks Mark, Owain.)

No real issues. Car's a joy to drive. But, there's always one persnickety little thing that resists resolution, isn't there?

Just what is the part number for the passengers side CV shield? the one that bolts above the axle flange and protects the inner boot from the CAT's heat.

Is it 4D0407720? That would fit a 1999 A4 manual FWD with a 1.8T. I can't seem to find confirmation that that would fit a manual A4 with a 1.9TDI

Many thanks

Michael

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I never installed one when I did the manual conversion and the car has been like this for 4.5 years and 120K Kms. The inner CV boot still looks normal, contrary to predictions, the exhaust didn't cook it. So I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have a spare, but agree with imo000 not needed on TDI. Just doesn't get hot enough.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I used the one that came our of a 98 v6 passat 5 speed.

Looks identical to the one that came out of an 03 passat v6 5 speed.

I only reused it as i had the entire car at my disposal.

mozark

TDI
Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Still curious if that is the correct part number though, as a sense of completion will have me looking for one at auction.

MM

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Don't know the part # for the 5 speed shield, but I would find one or make one.

I converted mine to a 6 speed, and after 5 years and 250,000 km the right side inner boot was showing rubber deterioration due to heat - the left side (new at the same time) was fine.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Id go to a local scrap yard, find any 5 speed b5 or b5.5 ans take it off. What will they charge you? 5 bucks?

mozark

TDI
Heat hates rubber, that's a fact. If I had access to a TIG I'd alter the one off the auto-box. Aluminum seems right for this part, but I may wind up making one out of steel. Sadly no u-pick yards around here.

List price for the part is about $140, lol. Most dealers will sell it for about $100. B5 MT parts seem scarce on this side of the pond, but one will turn up on ebay or CL at some point. There's also a little stamped heatshield that protects the passenger's side engine mount that would be nice to find.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
You're not in WV? I can probably find you 5 sub 700 dollar 98 to 05 passats between Atlanta and Charlotte.