I drive the same route everyday 60 miles

I m very surprised why is this box not more popular here in the US

Edit / note. My car is a "fixed" new old stock 2015 Golf S

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I don't think they have a large dealer network this side of the pond, don't blame them as there is actual hardware that you'd have to sock/turnover/update, vs a computer file for a real tune.

There's a few threads on the piggy back systems in the Power Enhancement folder. Most people are elitist tune aficionados and scoff at things that trick the ECU in making new power.

Others say the cost benefit is worth it to them. The plug and play aspect of the piggy back is real nice.

Miata

TDI
Golf
Ahhh, I just found that post

I still think a piggy back box is still the best option for me, someone that wants to keep the 11 yr warranty

The car definitely felt better, placebo or not.
If changing the fuel rail pressure cause a problem I know I am covered under the warranty and I can take the car in fully covered ( after removing the box of course)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Each person has to weight the pros and cons for their situation.

You'd have to be pretty naive to possibly give up the golden warranty these rides have.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The tuning box people make some ridiculous claims about power and fuel economy gains. It's no coincidence that you never see any actual dyno numbers posted by tdiclub members that buy into the hype.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First, British dynos are absolutely notorious for being overly optimistic. Second, that dyno was posted up by a representative of the tuning box company- hardly impartial. I don't buy those numbers for a minute. It also sounds like that car had a real tune written for it as well. I'd like to see back to back dynos from someone not affiliated with the company. First completely stock, then with the box. I predict 10-15% gains, a far cry from the advertised 40%.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
A tuning box can be designed to briefly trick the throttle pedal, maf/map sensors, fuel/ambient temp sensors, and rail pressure sensor, but it cannot adjust for correction of the cylinder pressure sensors, and 02/nox,/egt (emission) sensors which will attenuate the outputs of overfueling, excess boost surge (smart actuator), etc. thus quickly reducing newly found power thru its own control sw adaptive behavior.

The oem tune will soon adapt to the non-linearities of the box's inputs. The mass air flow controlled motor will adjust itself back to the oem air tables, drivers-request, torque map, smoke/fuel maps, and torque limiters. If it is a dsg car the trans torque limiters also remain oem for each gear also attenuating excess torque/rpm measures.

The only way to get more power efficiently is the sw engineered approach to re-tuning all control parameters to match the respective duty cycles throughout the entire control loop.
Jeff

TDI
'15 GSW tdi
While I know nothing of this product, and don't begin to talk about it's actual performance gain, I can say one thing... The mk7 gti/golf r gasser's are seeing incredible numbers from the Burger Motorsports JB1/JB4 piggyback system. I mean numbers that in most cases are exceeding full ecu tunes from reputable companies like APR, Revo, Unitronics, etc.

I have some interest in this product because like Miata said, I really don't have much interest in losing my 11 yr/162k warranty.

I'll be paying attention to this thread.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While I know nothing of this product, and don't begin to talk about it's actual performance gain, I can say one thing... The mk7 gti/golf r gasser's are seeing incredible numbers from the Burger Motorsports JB1/JB4 piggyback system. I mean numbers that in most cases are exceeding full ecu tunes from reputable companies like APR, Revo, Unitronics, etc.

I have some interest in this product because like Miata said, I really don't have much interest in losing my 11 yr/162k warranty.

I'll be paying attention to this thread.
That sounds like a big steaming pile of bs to me. A stage 2 ecu tune from APR can yield over 100 hp in gains on the gen 3 ea888. The boogersport gimmick box only claims 45 hp over stock.

TDI
'15 GSW tdi
That sounds like a big steaming pile of bs to me. A stage 2 ecu tune from APR can yield over 100 hp in gains on the gen 3 ea888. The boogersport gimmick box only claims 45 hp over stock.
I don't know, I have no first hand experience. All I know, the guys on the mk7 gasser forums seems to love the JB1/JB4, and hate on APR.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JB4 can reach higher than 45HP and are close to the APR numbers with different maps, and data logging.

But I will agree a that full blown tune is better performance, but also zeros out your warranty unless you do that whole "APR Plus" from the dealer when buying the ride.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have no experience with the burgersport box. It does look more sophisticated than the typical tuning box, and their power gain claims sound plausible. But this is not a gti tuning forum.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
agreed, but still sounds like a big steaming pile of bs ;)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Red flags go up any time a newbie starts shilling a product- especially a tuning box. Pointless anyhow, as they have no tdi offerings.