Key fob dead sometimes, unlock with key, fob works again

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
For about two weeks, about one time in seven (?), key fob is dead. Don't hear any "click" in the door at all. But, after unlocking door with key, fob works again. Until its dead again. Turn key, works again.

Note: the door lock cylinder has been "busted" for six months. Have to hold key in unlock position to open door. Or, as soon as let go of key, and it starts to return to the vertical position, the door relocks. Had shop take a look three weeks ago, cylinder pieces falling off, new cylinder on order.

But the key fob problem just started. So, I guess it could be the cylinder. Would a bad cylinder make the fob not work?

Thanks!

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
fix your door switch and report back
Steve, can you briefly explain why opening door with key would "reset" the door switch? I want to provide same to mechanic.

I've read the postings about door locking on this site, but many are too detailed for me.

Thx.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
It's the door lock itself that is the problem. There is nothing wrong with your Key FOB. Using the key physically makes the door open and close. Mine is doing exactly the same thing. Sometimes, the door lock doesn't lock at all even after it is "armed".

I have a replacement on hand but just need time to install it.

So the problem is your door lock, which the malfunctioning microswitch is a part. But the lock itself is also not opening and closing properly.

Obviously, if the cylinder is bad you need a new one. But the Cylinder and door lock are two different issues and are not related.

Last edited:

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey tongsli! Long time....thanks for response. I think I got it....

One more question? Assume after the cylinder is replaced, the key opens the door just fine, all the time.

If I don't fix the door lock (that makes the fob appear to fail once in a while), can I expect the key/cylinder to keep allowing the door to open/close and unlock/lock?

In other words, if I want to be sure not to be locked out of car (when using key) do I still need to address the issue that door lock doesn't always respond to fob?

Just trying not to put too much $$ in an 15 yr old car.

Thanks!

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
My door latch/switch works once in a while, so to use the fob generally I have to lock the door manually. Interestingly, it always unlocks it, but I have to put the key in the ignition, or open the passenger door to keep it from re-locking/rearming the alarm.

I just tested it and the key will always lock/unlock the door, but may or may not arm or disarm the alarm, depending on it's mood.

I need a new latch/switch.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The problems with your key fob operating properly are because of a fading door lock module, or microswitch. My wagon has done this for years, where it very occasionally will not unlock with the remote. But if I unlock it with the key it works fine, for months. A few weeks ago it was arming itself on its own. I could hear it in the garage. I disarmed it using the key, and it hasn't done it since. My son's Golf used to occasionally set off the alarm when the car was unlocked, and, you guessed it, using the key in the door would fix it, although not for long. We replaced his door lock module and it worked fine. I'll do the same in my wagon at some point. I also don't always hear the door open chime operate.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One more question? Assume after the cylinder is replaced, the key opens the door just fine, all the time.
If I don't fix the door lock (that makes the fob appear to fail once in a while), can I expect the key/cylinder to keep allowing the door to open/close and unlock/lock?
In other words, if I want to be sure not to be locked out of car (when using key) do I still need to address the issue that door lock doesn't always respond to fob?
Thanks!
Call these guys

http://www.vorwerkauto.com go to contact us, the phone number still works.

I got a door lock for a buddy for $25

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks!

It's not going to get any better but worse. My interior lights are only coming on 1/2 the time because of the micro switch. And, it'll start messing up your alarm and potentially affect your battery if the car doesn't arm/sleep properly, etc, etc, etc.

You can also get a new OEM lock from VW for $129

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES3332/?gc...pXQQuhnthrPyK1eCoYxXbJHBKuIGUluGVUBoC_Cjw_wcB

Should probably make sure you can keep the car secure even if you plan to sell it soon or even get rid of it.

My car is just as old!

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
All,

Much appreciation for your responses. My lock cylinder was replaced. Since then (10 days) no issues with fob not working. Tech mentioned something about a "tab" on the old cylinder screwed up.

Anyhow, will monitor, and as problem "was" intermittent, from your info, won't be surprised if issue crops up again.

Tongsli...you car may be as old as mine, and more mileage, but it is way cooler with all sorts of upgrades, and the driver is number one! :)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All,
Much appreciation for your responses. My lock cylinder was replaced. Since then (10 days) no issues with fob not working. Tech mentioned something about a "tab" on the old cylinder screwed up.
Anyhow, will monitor, and as problem "was" intermittent, from your info, won't be surprised if issue crops up again.
Tongsli...you car may be as old as mine, and more mileage, but it is way cooler with all sorts of upgrades, and the driver is number one! :)
LOL, Good news! Glad to hear you've got it sorted.

I just replaced my door lock yesterday on my end. All is good now.

The old lock has rust and Im not thinking of installing new door window seals.

Lito