why i might dump my TDI for a jeep compass

Scooby Doo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta gls
july 24th marked a special day, Chrysler was bought out but a private firm, because frankly Chrysler's are junk and the company has gone to heck. the first move was to re-vamp the image ..... DONE..... they are now offering a lifetime guarantee on the power train. thats a solid guarantee, it covers the entire drive system, even timing belts. wo weeks ago, i would have sat here and swore up and down i would never touch a Chrysler, but now i am strongly considering a purchase. what do you think of a lifetime of free repairs to a jeep?

biodemon1956

TDI
none...yet
I second what DrewD said. Also, you might want to wait several years to see if the build quality is equal to that hotshot guarantee. Chrysler may honor their warranty to the letter, but what good is it if the car is in the service bay so often? I stopped trusting any Chrysler products after the early 70s. In fact, that lack of trust pretty much applies to most anything that came out of Detroit after the early 70s.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
Capital investment firm buys majot stake in a given asset - cuts fat, re-organizes and streamlines said asset making it more "profitable" and attractive - capital investment firm sells their stake in said asset for a real profit (never having intentions of keeping it in the first place).[SIZE=-1] Cerberus doesn't give a rats ass about producing better cars or the people that might buy them, they're in it for the potential payoff down the road.[/SIZE]

With a lifetime warranty I suspect you'll be using it for the lifetime of the vehicle, being a Chrysler...

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Scooby Doo It's your choice. I'd never sell my Golf for any chrysler product. Long ago I have had 2 chryslers, never again, even with the Lifetime power train warrnty. The Golf TDI just drives so much better than any other car that I've owned. Just my 0.02 worth. At the end of the day Scooby it's your call.

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
Scooby Doo said:
what do you think of a lifetime of free repairs to a jeep?
I think you'll be using the warranty often. Everyone I've ever known with a Jeep it started falling apart after four years.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The Compass isn't even a real Jeep. That model is one of the many derivatives based on the Dodge Caliber.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
Compass is based on my beloved caliber. I happen to love mine. My family has owned countless Chrysler products through the years, my most memorable being a 92 Dodge Dynasty with a V6. Ugliest car I've ever seen, but IT WAS RELIABLE. Never had a problem out of it, and my parents were horrible about maintenance for it. We got rid of it in 2000 with over 170000 miles on it and NEVER had a problem with it. Use your own judgement. Never had a problem with my '98 Wrangler OR my Caliber R/T (and better not!) either. Oh yeah, and BTW, a friend of mine's TDI has been in the shop at least a month total since this time last year. Problems? I dunno. Dont expect all the plush leather and soft touches in your Compass though, they are non existant.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I chuckle at a life time warranty. The chyrsler automatic transmission is practically biodegradable, in the front drive mini vans it was not unusual to change them every 40-50 kilometers. In the full size trucks ball joints fail every 2-3 years.

Good luck.

This warranty will bankrupt them.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
My first chrysler product, a 1981 Plymouth Reliant was reliable. Drove the pants off it it. Had 75k trouble free miles on it when I traded it for a new 1984 Chrylser Laser turbo (aka money pit). The laser's moter never ever gave me a stitch of trouble sans a leaky valve cover. I replaced one timing belt on it and traded it in with 120000 miles on it with the original turbo charger (garrett). But don't ask me about the sensors, speedo cluster, clutch cable, rear brakes, intermediate transaxle shaft, etc etc. I bought a ford taurus after that and it was a gem compared to the laser. We got rid of the ford after 132000 when the AC puked.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
bluesmoker said:
I chuckle at a life time warranty. The chyrsler automatic transmission is practically biodegradable, in the front drive mini vans it was not unusual to change them every 40-50 kilometers. In the full size trucks ball joints fail every 2-3 years.

Good luck.

This warranty will bankrupt them.
Actually, the old Chrysler Torque Flite is no longer used. The one used today is a mercedes designed transmission. So, whose transmission is it now? Chrysler has a dual clutch gearbox in the plans right now.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
OsirisTDI said:
The real Jeeps are gone. There is no more running gear like this...http://www.wjjeeps.com/drivetrain_01.jpg
There is in the Wrangler :)

But yes, everything else with the Jeep name has absolutely nothing in common with that setup. Even the Cherokee has gone with an independent front suspension now (nothing really wrong with that, but the old solid front and rear axles are very strong and take abuse in off-road situations quite well).

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
i'd never buy one.that lifetime warranty does NOT apply to diesels.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Lifetime ( Power train only ) warranty means the engine and trans can be in working order long after the car or truck has fallen to dust . Mainly it is just a ploy that sounds good but is the last desperate effort/gasp of a dieing company .

Their number crunchers got together and figured which would be cheaper mark the current models down to almost being free loosing money on them all or say they have some lifetime warranty gimmick . If you noticed the first few commercials failed to mention that the lifetime warranty only covers the drive train not the car or truck it is in .

Now they are say " Lifetime Drive train " in all the commercials I've seen the last couple of days .

Just speaking for myself I have no trouble living a lifetime with a 40-50 mpg Diesel VW . But I have to take issue with living with a 10 or lower -20 mpg Chrysler for a life time . Don't think I could live with that one for the long term .

It comes down to the fact that 40-50 mpgs has been at the pinnacle of what could be done in a passenger car as far as how far can you go on a gallon of fuel for most of the last 30 years .

The current Chrysler's along with the rest this years big 3s lineup achieves mpgs that weren't acceptable to me 30 years ago . So one week behind the wheel of one of these is too long for me much less a lifetime .

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
biodemon1956 said:
I second what DrewD said. Also, you might want to wait several years to see if the build quality is equal to that hotshot guarantee. Chrysler may honor their warranty to the letter, but what good is it if the car is in the service bay so often? I stopped trusting any Chrysler products after the early 70s. In fact, that lack of trust pretty much applies to most anything that came out of Detroit after the early 70s.
I took the Passat into VW for an emission workshop light and what I believed was the related limp mode.

1 day spent diagnosing and replaced N75 valve.
1 day spent re-diagnosing when it went into limp mode again (no EW light)-new turbo ordered
2 days not getting worked on
1 day to replace the turbo

Somehow I wound up at the bottom of the Q for work and they were slugged. But even with good service that’s what can happen. So, for a chronic vehicle, you would need a second one.

rauldejalapeno

TDI
2006 Golf GLS 5-door
Scooby Doo said:
july 24th marked a special day, Chrysler was bought out but a private firm, because frankly Chrysler's are junk and the company has gone to heck. the first move was to re-vamp the image ..... DONE..... they are now offering a lifetime guarantee on the power train. thats a solid guarantee, it covers the entire drive system, even timing belts. wo weeks ago, i would have sat here and swore up and down i would never touch a Chrysler, but now i am strongly considering a purchase. what do you think of a lifetime of free repairs to a jeep?
Scooby, I'm not trying to be an ass or anything when I ask a few questions here. You asked us what we thought, so I figure fair play gives us a few questions to you. Now of course, your post shows that $ spent for major repairs is important (I'm assuming you're aware that maintenance is not covered). Makes sense. We're all sensitive to that. I find it interesting that you'd be willing to off a TDI just for a better warranty. If you drove a Silverado, Explorer, Durango, etc., I could understand your intent in a second. But a TDI? It takes a bit to think of two vehicles that perform on such different levels. Other than 4 wheels & an engine, they have nothing in common. So here's my question: Is a warranty (that you may never use if you maintain the vehicle [or lose if you forget to do the mandatory inspection every 5 years]) SO important that you would give up the driving pleasure, mileage & sharpness of a TDI? You own one & belong to this club. You only mentioned the warranty as your rationale. You didn't say "I don't care what I drive as long as it's cheap or under warranty" or "I'm tired of the small car thing & I want to go 4 wheelin'). So I'm curious. No judgements, just curious.

cage

Top Post Dawg
Oh please don't even start about Chryslers being junk. They are all I had until I bought my Beetle. My Chrysler experience was never ever having to put money into them other than scheduled maintenance. My VW on the other hand has cost 1,000 times more in all respects than any of my Chryslers!
My brothers wife has a PT Cruiser.... Loves it. No problems AT ALL!

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
cage said:
Oh please don't even start about Chryslers being junk. They are all I had until I bought my Beetle. My Chrysler experience was never ever having to put money into them other than scheduled maintenance. My VW on the other hand has cost 1,000 times more in all respects than any of my Chryslers!
My brothers wife has a PT Cruiser.... Loves it. No problems AT ALL!
uh, marry me please??? My caliber has been in the shop much less than my car pool buddy's TDI...

cage

Top Post Dawg
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my TDI Beetle but it is not the most reliable car. I don't mean breaking down. Mine has never done that, but little gremlins here and there especially when new were far more frequent than any of my Chryslers.
I just think people on this site love to jump on everything as being junk and thats just not the case.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
You are right, his are always little gremlins, his worst was glow plugs I do believe. (Not terrible, but took the morons 3 shop visits and 2 dealerships to fix.) To be fair, I too want a TDI, but the VW PD 2.0L 16V that's in Euro Calibers and the MKs! :D

jon_7248

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They could even pay me to own a Chrysler produect and offer the lifetime drivetrain warrenty, i would still refuse. Think of it like this, would you like to have a warrenty on something for life but have to take it in regularlly and drive a rental half the time, or pay a little extra and never have to worry about the dowtime. If you can stand that downtime ( i wouldnt be able to) then fine.

Look at it this way, so they offer a "lifetime warrenty" on certain parts. How long do the majority of the people hold on to vehicles, not very. I bet they already have the statistics stating how many vehicles would be brought in after that 3 year mark. How many of those vehicles are just leased is also another factor.

That and on the Dodge truck and jeep side of things, the warrenty would get voided quick in some states. Most people (here in texas that is) love to lift their new Dodge or Jeep. Thats all well and good, but making changes to the "DRIVETRAIN" are done with a lift. Driveshafts are angled more, more leverage, and more wear and tear probably, but as soon as you bring in your (not you, people in general) jeep lifted they will not file that under warrenty cause they can directly prove (most of the time) that you altered the original design and voided your warrenty.

Personally I would also get an older jeep, but thats just me. Im the guy who would throw a 4" lift on it with nice tires and what not :D

forgive the grammer and spelling, it's been 24 hours since I have seen my house or a bed for that matter.