Lug Stud instead of Bolts?

robm2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Has anyone replaced the bolts with studs, to make it easier to install tires? Even a single stud per wheel would help.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I would not convert to permanent studs. I've done it before on audis because of big brakes, and different wheels, but the bolts are so much better.

I have never hard a bolt seize or break off in a hub, but I have had studs snap. The bolt seals its threads from the wheel side. Plus, the factory bolts are really strong.

I usually put a 17mm deep well socket on the bolt and hold one in place on the top of the wheel while I install it. This way you can use that bolt to locate the wheel as you put it up to the hub. Once that one bolt is started, its cake from there.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
M14 x 1.5 is the thread and pitch. You can get a bolt at almost any hardware store for a whole lot less than $10+shipping. Just cut the head of the bolt off

Sent using Tapatalk

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
M14 x 1.5 is the thread and pitch. You can get a bolt at almost any hardware store for a whole lot less than $10+shipping. Just cut the head of the bolt off

Sent using Tapatalk
Agreed the hardware store bolt will cost less than $10.00 maybe a buck but I guess you need a hack saw and a vise. If you don't own one you should.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD

Sent using Tapatalk
I got a pair thru HomeDepot. With spacers on my hubs, it makes rotating or changing a tire a piece of cake. I got the 120mm
long ones, M14-1.5 x 120mm crown bolt. I keep 'em in the spare
wheel well.

Cheers,
R*2

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
there are stud kits on ebay

last I looked they're like $40
not worth it to me

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I had to drill a couple bolts the tire store over torqued as the longest bar I could find only make the wheel turn with the bolts vs studs I have snapped off in the past.

Bolts are stronger hands down.

A hack saw is only cheaper if you don't have another tool already.
A hacksaw is cheaper

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I had to drill a couple bolts the tire store over torqued as the longest bar I could find only make the wheel turn with the bolts vs studs I have snapped off in the past.
Bolts are stronger hands down.
uh
you're comparing M14 to M14, right? M12 is easy to snap off with a 24" breaker bar, but I've gotta use a pipe on my breaker bar to snap off m14 lug studs (a common operation on GM trucks and old ford vans (9/16", but that's close enough to 14mm))

ETA: the hollow head on the lug bolts collapses when they sieze real tight, so that's a point against the bolts

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
uh
you're comparing M14 to M14, right? M12 is easy to snap off with a 24" breaker bar, but I've gotta use a pipe on my breaker bar to snap off m14 lug studs (a common operation on GM trucks and old ford vans (9/16", but that's close enough to 14mm))

ETA: the hollow head on the lug bolts collapses when they sieze real tight, so that's a point against the bolts
6 foot cheater pipe turned the wheel.
Hollow head allowed me to drill it out unlike the solid heads I have now beings I needed conical seats for aftermarket wheels.

After drilling the heads off I was able to unscrew the rest very easily.

Yes, i snapped the studs on my 1999 Dodge Ram.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
A torch will likely anneal the bolt you're wanting to remove the heads from.
careful with the torch around tires
once the wheel gets too hot it'll start to burn the rubber which is force fed pressurized air, once that fire starts the pressure in the tire spikes to a thousand psi or so and it lets go with quite the bang

even 12.9 bolts drill easily enough with normal HSS drills if you use the right (read: slow) surface speeds I'd bet on lug studs being 10.9/grade8

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
6 foot cheater pipe turned the wheel.
Hollow head allowed me to drill it out unlike the solid heads I have now beings I needed conical seats for aftermarket wheels.

After drilling the heads off I was able to unscrew the rest very easily.

Yes, i snapped the studs on my 1999 Dodge Ram.
sounds like you needed someone mashing the brakes inside the car
gotta do that even with heavily loaded vans on clean concrete

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
careful with the torch around tires
once the wheel gets too hot it'll start to burn the rubber which is force fed pressurized air, once that fire starts the pressure in the tire spikes to a thousand psi or so and it lets go with quite the bang

even 12.9 bolts drill easily enough with normal HSS drills if you use the right (read: slow) surface speeds I'd bet on lug studs being 10.9/grade8
I was responding to what I thought was someone's suggestion to use a torch to remove the heads of bolts to make studs.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I was responding to what I thought was someone's suggestion to use a torch to remove the heads of bolts to make studs.
whoops thought it was about annealing ones you were drilling out as they had siezed or whatever
heh