Car Died while driving

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
Wife was driving 2000 Jetta TDI this evening. Engine shut off while she was driving. Engine will not start. However it will crank over.

When I tried to start it, I noticed that the GLOW PLUG LIGHT WOULD NOT COME ON. Any ideas on what might be the potential culprit? Thanks

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Relay 109 failure. $20 relay from dealer. Easy replace yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
Thanks N1das. I appreciate your valuable input.

Is there anything in particular that makes you think it is the 109 relay? Where exactly is the 109 relay located? Do you have a photo pf where it is located?

If, by chance, this isn't the problem, got any other ideas what might cause this scenario? Thanks bud.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Thanks N1das. I appreciate your valuable input.

Is there anything in particular that makes you think it is the 109 relay? Where exactly is the 109 relay located? Do you have a photo pf where it is located?

If, by chance, this isn't the problem, got any other ideas what might cause this scenario? Thanks bud.
The indication of no glow plug means the ECM is not powering up, this is typically relay 109, if you change the 109 and still not working you have a power issue related to powering up some electronics (like the ECM) needed to run the car. chances are relay 109 will fix it, they were high failure rate in early mkivs

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
AND be sure to followup on this thread with the outcome, thanks

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
Changed 109 relay....problem solved!! 2000 Jetta back on the road!!!

Unfortunately, now I have another issue.

The relay I used to fix the Jetta came out of my 2001 Golf. After I pulled the BAD relay from the Jetta, I put the bad relay in my Golf to see if I might get lucky.

The golf did NOT CRANK OVER!!! It was completely DEAD!!

So, I then put the GOOD relay back in the Golf. Still DEAD!!! The Golf will NOT CRANK OVER at all!!! ....even with the good relay in it. The golf is now COMPLETELY DEAD IN THE WATER!!! What the &*$#?????? Anyone have any thoughts???? I am very confused and frustrated!!!

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Did you knock off the clutch signal or something while down there? Shouldnt have caused an issue like that, are you getting dash lights, but no crank?

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
Thanks Steve,

the car has automatic tranny.

All the dash lights come on. Will not crank over.

I will take a look and see if something appears to be knocked off.