New car: BMW 335D!

shinghi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG - 2000 Jetta TDI GLS (SOLD)
Hey folks,

Well decided to get ahead of the curve and pick up a new (ish) car and decided on a 2011 BMW 335D. At $17k, I couldn't find anything better!

Anyone else thinking about switching to a 335d?

arneeche

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (former), 2012 Jetta TDI (Former), 2014 JSW TDI
I have been seriously considering a 335d, how is the transmission in them? I've also heard the DPF and SCR system can have troubles.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Intake clogging is a big deal. Get the EGR turned down ASAP to save yourself some huge $$ on intake cleaning.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I was scared away from them after reading the same issue w TDI, HPFP and $$$$ repairs, no more German cars for me.

shinghi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG - 2000 Jetta TDI GLS (SOLD)
I have been seriously considering a 335d, how is the transmission in them? I've also heard the DPF and SCR system can have troubles.
Transmission is pretty good. Not a smooth as our DSG but clean smooth shifts.

I did a lot of research before buying the car and went with one that was under warranty until August this year.

Carbon build up is an issue but the cost of the procedure has gone way down. $500-$800. My car had it done at the dealer at 45k. So I've got a little time before I have to worry about it. There is no timing belt on these engines so you save a little there...

Overall nothing can compare to the $17-20k price range. The car is leaps and bounds more luxurious than my Jetta. Its torque and handling are insanely good. It will be more expensive to maintain, but I think it is the kind of thing that you trade off for the "ultimate driving machine."

I would say if you are thinking about getting one, look for a solid maintenance history, good tires, previous CBU clean, and you should be good.

Get one.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
If you want that thing to haul the mail check with Andrew at aarodriguez....he can hook you up

His 335d ran a low 13 sec quarter this past weekend

Last edited:

TdiSandiego

TDI
2009 sportwagen, 2012 jetta tdi
I bought a 2011 about 5 months ago. Way better car then the TDI. The SCR tank was replaced after only 47,000 miles thou. At 58,000 now. Wife loves it!!

DieselOG

TDI
11' 335d Msport-----R.I.P. 12' Jetta TDI Stage 2
I love my 335d! Even stock it destroys my stage 2 Jetta, I got a scr tank code as well but I just got my money in yesterday from VW so I don't plan on needing those systems much longer :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
They have the main stream options for DPF deletes on the BMWs?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Not sure what is meant by mainstream, but yes there are dpf delete downpipes available for the 335D.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
I bought a 2010 335d about 90 days ago. It's a shame you live in Cali - otherwise you could use a little of the VW $$ to unleash that beast:D

theprimer

TDI
VW Golf 2.0L Diesel
Gahh, my brother has had a few issues with 335d transmissions, but think it's sorted now. Hope yours is okay!

DieselOG

TDI
11' 335d Msport-----R.I.P. 12' Jetta TDI Stage 2
I got my first check engine light 2 weeks in, scr tank temp sensor 2k+ to replace... I'm just ignoring it, not planning on needing the tank for much longer, unless it's filled with methanol

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
If you want that thing to haul the mail check with Andrew at aarodriguez....he can hook you up

His 335d ran a low 13 sec quarter this past weekend
My 335D hit a pothole, lost some parts and I bought some replacement parts from him. Amazing how much better the car is now vs. stock and a great vendor/person to deal with. My stg 2 jetta feels like a tin can compared to 335D. I just put my snow tires on and the darn traction control light comes on at 70mph when making a healthy pass on the hwy. ;)

As far as the tranny is concerned, while not as smooth as a DSG, it handles many examples including mine with 500+ ft/lb just fine. Change the filter and fluid every 50 miles and you should be set.

Last edited:

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
Welcome to the club - the 335d is a fantastic vehicle.

Intake clogging is a big deal. Get the EGR turned down ASAP to save yourself some huge $$ on intake cleaning.
Source? Is this just done via coding?

tdiesling

TDI
2014 Audi A7 Tdi, 2016 Mercedes Sprinter (CDI) 2500 4x4 (DBA as a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile), (Sold: 2000 Golf Tdi, 1985 Quantum Td, 1980 Rabbit Diesel (totaled)) 2012 Golf Tdi (Emissions purgatory)
Had one and replaced it with the A7. The A7 a lot more refined and better MPG, but the 335d was a hoot to drive! Had the sport suspension. The 6 speed was smooth and quick shifting, never used the paddles. The check engine light was a regular nuisance, but never left me stranded. Great car, enjoy!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I got me a 335D about 4 months ago but I kept my VW golf and Jetta, I just love diesel cars, I guess you can consider me as a diesel head.

Love this 335d, it sure feels like driving my 99.5 German golf, solid to the ground like a tank, my Mexican Jetta is completely the opposite but it is my daily driver it takes me everyday to work and back very reliable.

as of now I would like to do a quick sprint with the 335D stock to see before/after how much faster I can get it once I put my hands on it,

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
I got me a 335D about 4 months ago but I kept my VW golf and Jetta, I just love diesel cars, I guess you can consider me as a diesel head.

Love this 335d, it sure feels like driving my 99.5 German golf, solid to the ground like a tank, my Mexican Jetta is completely the opposite but it is my daily driver it takes me everyday to work and back very reliable.

as of now I would like to do a quick sprint with the 335D stock to see before/after how much faster I can get it once I put my hands on it,

335d is heavier, but 3.0+sequential turbos probably make it an easy DD. After building up that power house back in 2010, would you take the 335d over your black mk4 (before it had the timing belt catastrophe)?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
335d is heavier, but 3.0+sequential turbos probably make it an easy DD. After building up that power house back in 2010, would you take the 335d over your black mk4 (before it had the timing belt catastrophe)?

I never had a catastophe TB in my black golf??? When or where did that happen?

Golf is faster than my 335D, from a dead stop 335D will kill my golf, but on a roll Golf will kill my 335D easily and my 335D is already RC tuned.

Last edited: