Adjusting headlights

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
does anyone know how to adjust the headlights? ie, to angle them up or down, or side to side (not sure about the potential adjustments).

right now, the headlight beam is not pointed in the optimum direction, so I'd like to adjust it if possible.....

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
parking on level ground with tires properly inflated ,shine the lights on the side of a building to look at the pattern ,but I don't rememebr how high off the deck they should be

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
3800rpmDiesel said:
well I think I can figure out how to see where they are pointing, but how do I ADJUST them?
If your vehicle is like mine, there are screws atop each headlamp unit which angle them up and down.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
3800rpmDiesel said:
In relation to the photo above, where is this 'inner screw' that does left/right?
I'm pretty sure it's underneath the cover that has the headlamp signal on it. Just pull out those two screws and remove the cover.

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
So I finally tried adjusting it last night:rolleyes: , and i turned it in the 'up' direction (counter clockwise) about 4 full turns, and could not really tell if it moved up any (i wasn't parked in the best spot for 'shining lights' - i'll find a better place next time). I'm hoping it's not stripped:confused:

does anyone know how much adjustment there is? - ie, how many turns in either direction is available?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can go quite a few turns. Try tapping the light assembly as you turn the adjusters. Sometimes they get a lill sticky.

-Jason

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I just got done realigning mine and I HATE IT! I found that the outer screw is the one to adjust for up and down. After adjusting them to far once i had to take the headlight out(After removing half the bumper) And set the screw back into the socket it came out of. Don't over adjust. My Bentley says it is the outside screw for horizontal.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
3800rpmDiesel said:
So I finally tried adjusting it last night:rolleyes: , and i turned it in the 'up' direction (counter clockwise) about 4 full turns, and could not really tell if it moved up any (i wasn't parked in the best spot for 'shining lights' - i'll find a better place next time). I'm hoping it's not stripped:confused:

does anyone know how much adjustment there is? - ie, how many turns in either direction is available?

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html