Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Just about everywhere in KS that caters to Autos, it has been the 15/16th's nozzle on the pumps. Only see the big high flow nozzles at the (big) truck pumps.

However - YOU should be prepared by carrying an adapter. I do in my Golf, but there is no need in my Beetle. That said, even in the Beetle I prefer the autodiesel pumps.
Where can I find a pump adapter? Any useful links you can share? I tried to look today but the query came up with so many non relevant results ...

Reactions: Ton

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Thank you for that; you made it super easy. In my search query I never did use Tdi ...
Order placed.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Where can I find a pump adapter? Any useful links you can share? I tried to look today but the query came up with so many non relevant results ...
I bought mine from the local BMW dealer since their price for the SAME EXACT kit was cheaper than the VW dealer's.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I bought mine from the local BMW dealer since their price for the SAME EXACT kit was cheaper than the VW dealer's.
My 2017 Ram came with the adapter under the passenger seat. So you may want to check out your local Dodge dealer too.

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
I'll put in my 2 cents, went to a truck stop expecting to get cheaper DEF, worst refueling experience in my life. The pump won't except anything but corporate cards, neither nozel fit, pumps ran to fast. EVERYTHING went wrong, don't do it....

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Its not bad if you are one of the few vehicles w/external DEF filling ports next to the fuel like mine, the nozzle fit perfectly and didnt have any trouble filling it.. thankfully, because when towing it burned through alot of DEF.. I did have to go inside and pre-pay w/personal CC to get em to unlock the pump but thats NBD.

DieterLange

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI (BKD)
At the petrol station I use they have high-flow and regular diesel at the same pump, there's a lever you press down that enables high-flow. I have never had an issue with nozzles being too big I think it's because Australia has a standard diesel nozzle size or because a lot of petrol stations have combined high-flow and regular diesel pumps. I wouldn't recommend high-flow either, I used it once and when they say high-flow the mean it, fills up a 55L tank in no time.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
The reason for the high-flow pumps is because the fuel tanks on semis are 100 - 150 US gallons (378.5 - 567.75 liters) each.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
yeah some trucks can take 1200L (317 gallons)
Drive a truck for a few years...
We had a 2 inch nozzle with a high flow pump at our company's yard.... would fill up a 150 gallon tank in just a couple minutes. Was awesome on a cold Windy Wisconsin Winter day!!
Typical I avoid the truck islands because the fuel is typically priced differently.... seriously. Many truck stops do such heavy discounting for corporate customers, they average prices are higher than most gas station around the corner.
So I will use their Def pumps...
But get Diesel up the road ...

Warning....many independent truck stops will have VERY attractive pricing, especially cash, but I have had nothing but problems with fuel quality at them.

peteyfalz

TDI
2002 mk4 jetta alh
NJ and Oregon laws are basically the same, diesel is allowed to be pumped by the customer for some liability laws or something.

I’ve had multiple occasions where people have given me that same confused look or someone in a big ol truck giving me a death stare for taking up a diesel pump, always fun to smile and wave. My favorite is when gas attendants tell me to pull into an open pump beside the diesel one when its taken up and their reaction, usually say that aint gonna work out too well there buddy.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
I used to fill up my truck at a cash only indy, I also would not trust that in my vw. Or any modern diesel car.

As far the strange looks go, never had that. Diesel cars are so common these days. I'm surprised that is still something that can happen. What ticks me off is this.. When there is only one open diesel/gas combo pump open and plenty of gas only pumps open.. and a guy in front of me takes the only diesel/gas pump. But hey they don't know any better so its not really their fault.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Exactly! Or at sheets when they block the only diesel pump while ordering and eating a meal. (No sheets fuel in my personal diesels)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I used to fill up my truck at a cash only indy, I also would not trust that in my vw. Or any modern diesel car.

As far the strange looks go, never had that. Diesel cars are so common these days. I'm surprised that is still something that can happen. What ticks me off is this.. When there is only one open diesel/gas combo pump open and plenty of gas only pumps open.. and a guy in front of me takes the only diesel/gas pump. But hey they don't know any better so its not really their fault.

My daughter had a recent experience with this while fueling her beetle. The station she fuels at has 6 islands and 12 pumps. One island has diesel. She came to fuel one day and that island was being used on both sides, a diesel pickup and a gasser. Because of the beetle fuel door being on the right side she would have to back in when the gasser finished. As soon as he was done she started to back in and a lady pulls into the slot with her gasser my daughter got out of her car and politely told her she drove a diesel and this was the only pump where that was available and would she mind moving to one of the several open gas only spots?

The lady was apologetic and very cooperative surprised that her car took diesel. She moved without incident and they joked about the whole thing. Most people have no idea cars can be diesel.

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I had my first experience the other day. Was at a Loves station and standing there filling up minding my own business when a gal pulls up on the other side and races out of her vehicle to very vocally tell me I'm putting diesel in my wagon. I thank her and let her know that in fact this wagon is diesel. She then went on asking more questions aboot it and we had a good exchange.

She's now my wife........................................................................................................................Just kidding but a gal that knowledgeable might have been a keeper

t1n0m3n

TDI
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
So, gas shortages... Pipeline hack... I am looking forward to my favorite topic to heat up. Stories from the gas station where gassers are lined up, but the Diesel pumps are free... What you got?

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
I was thinking about trying something similar back when crude prices crashed..

1. Garage full of trashcans filled with crude
2. Prices rise back up to normal
3. Profit

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You'd end like the tp hoarders. Garage full of TP that no one needs anymore.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I filled my Passat today, and had the pleasure of pulling into the local Shell station, which was out of gasoline, and then watching as others lined up behind me thinking that I was at the only working gas pump. I avoided another station in the area that still had gas, but long lines. People are crazy!

I happened to also fill up the morning the pipeline shutdown made the news, and I'm really happy that there's diesel available at every station in my area, though more than half are out of gas. Worry less, drive more!

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
You'd end like the tp hoarders. Garage full of TP that no one needs anymore.
Well, I was joking but iirc for a minute they were giving the stuff away for nothing.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a few coworkers that bought tdi Passats last year, they have enjoyed filling up at the diesel pump this week in nc. One has a guy pull up in a camry who said i thought this station was out of gas, my coworker said they are, mine is diesel.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My sil used my truck over the weekend. He pulled into the station to fill it and was stopped before getting to the pumps by the attendent telling him they were out of gas. He said, "that's ok, I need diesel." Then use pump 3.

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
Filled up at a station that only PUG and diesel. There was a line for the PUG. Attendants directing traffic. Told the attendant I needed diesel and they directed me to an open combo pump. I heard others complain because they were waiting and I didn't have to wait. Attendant told them I needed diesel. Good to have diesel.

Also diesel was $0.40 /gal less than PUG and $0.20/gal less than I have seen listed at other stations even if they were out.

Apparently this combo pump was out of PUG. As I used the same pump several hours earlier to put PUG is another vehicle.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Happy 19th anniversary to this thread! Keep those gas station fillup stories coming! :D

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I had to get diesel in my passat last Saturday, the pumps are behind the building and not too obvious from the road. They were out of gas, i start filling up the passat, a lady in a nissan stops and ask if would hurt my car to put diesel in it, no ma’am, my car is a diesel. I sent her to the shell station that had gas down the street. Then laughed as 3 nissan suvs went by.