Good front end alignment shop needed in London

TheBigE

TDI
2006 Jetta wagon automatic Previously: 2002 Jetta Automatic
Hello folks. I am in the process of replacing both my front wheel bearings on my 2006 jetta wagon. The steering knuckles are out and at carquest to have the bearings replaced after 260k Kms.

What's the best london area alignment place for after I get the knuckles back on? I would just put the knuckles back in the same spot but I was pulling to the right and now is a good alignment time. I also found a bad left lower ball joint so I am replacing both.

It's amazing how all the parts places have the 2006 jetta sedans and wagons as having the same lower end parts and oil filter for a tdi. I have to always ask,for parts for my old 2002 sedan. Then I get the right brake pads, bearings, oil filter and ball joints.

Thanks for any help.

TheBigE

TDI
I decided to pull them when I couldn't get a bearing puller tool on loan. And the videos I saw showed a lot of effort required to pull off the hub. I have never done one and haven't needed to until now.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
There's a shop in Kitchener I could recommend. They come highly recommended by the mechanic I go to for safeties and the one car they did for me drove right after they were done.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
There is nothing special about aligning your car. Just go to the nearest one that can get you in.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Not necessarily. There are certain specifications the steering geometry have to be in. There are allowable specs, and optimum specs. Most places will throw the vehicle on the machine and if everything is within spec, just leave it, or make a minor adjustment it till it is just within spec. Then out the door for the next one.

Better places take the time to make multiple adjustments until it is not just within spec, but at the best possible setting for good handling. Multiple adjustments are often required because as you adjust camber, for example, it alters the toe. If you have ever gotten a printout of your car after an alignment, you will see that the camber, caster and toe can be off from one wheel to another, but as long as it shows green on the screen, its within spec and for some places, its good enough and won't fine tune it.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Not necessarily. There are certain specifications the steering geometry have to be in. There are allowable specs, and optimum specs. Most places will throw the vehicle on the machine and if everything is within spec, just leave it, or make a minor adjustment it till it is just within spec. Then out the door for the next one.

Better places take the time to make multiple adjustments until it is not just within spec, but at the best possible setting for good handling. Multiple adjustments are often required because as you adjust camber, for example, it alters the toe. If you have ever gotten a printout of your car after an alignment, you will see that the camber, caster and toe can be off from one wheel to another, but as long as it shows green on the screen, its within spec and for some places, its good enough and won't fine tune it.
Then just request them to put the alignment to the optimal specs. Alignment shops will do this if you pay for the extra time.

TheBigE

TDI
Thanks for all the info. I didn't realize how alignments could be done differently and still be in spec technically