***ENGINE SWAP, AHU into B5***

theodore

TDI
2) 1996 b4 Passat
I have harness, ECU, VAG-COM.
I have two engines just sitting around 1Z, AHU and my sister just gave me 99 passat w/ 2.0 gasser
Plz advise, someone has done this or i may be the first omg
Thank you
Theo

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Theo

First there's no 2.0L engine for the 99 B5, it would have to be 1.8T or 2.8V6.

Either the 1Z or the AHU are close to what would have been installed but there are some differences AND there's no factory gearbox in the US for the diesel install in the B5. You will have to order that from Europe.

The AFN that was installed in the B5 cars originally has a slightly different water pump configuration because it uses a viscous clutch fan mounted directly to the engine, but otherwise it's pretty close to the AHU.

IIRC the AFN is just the AHU with the vvt turbo tech that came to the US on the ALH engines.

Back in 98 when these were supposed to come to the US VW delivered four of them to the states to use as demo cars and then promptly decided not to import them to the US, which was a big mistake IMO.

Steve

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
My sister has a B5 with an AFN (Europe), which is practically the same has a 1Z or a AHU.

You'll probably need the bracket that holds the alternator, water pump, fan, etc from an AFN.

Do you guys in US have there a 1Z or AHU installed on a longitudinal position?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My sister has a B5 with an AFN (Europe), which is practically the same has a 1Z or a AHU.

You'll probably need the bracket that holds the alternator, water pump, fan, etc from an AFN.

Do you guys in US have there a 1Z or AHU installed on a longitudinal position?
Nope, that's why I said you won't find a transmission in the US, we never got a car here with longitudinal mounted 4 cyl tdi until the B5.5 and even then it was AT only.

Steve

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Nope, that's why I said you won't find a transmission in the US, we never got a car here with longitudinal mounted 4 cyl tdi until the B5.5 and even then it was AT only.

Steve
Not even in Audi A6?

We have 5 speed and 6 speed longitudinal, TDI VP 110/90 and TDI PD 130/115, on A4, A6 and Passat

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Not even in Audi A6?

We have 5 speed and 6 speed longitudinal, TDI VP 110/90 and TDI PD 130/115, on A4, A6 and Passat

Nope, none of it. Only TDI cars we got were transverse mounted up until the 04/05 B5.5 Passat with BHW PD engine.

Steve