Rear window brain teaser

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
My right rear window works with the switch on the RR door, but not from the driver's switch. And this stayed the same after putting in a new driver's all four switch! Also, the RR lock module isn't responding to anything.

Has anyone seen this before? Thanks for any ideas.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Have you already replaced the RR switch/module?

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I'd start with the brown 6-pin connector T8u at the right B-pillar. Terminals 5 (orange/green to the CCM, orange/purple to the door module), and 6 (orange/brown) are the bus high and low. The other two are power. Pretty sure it's not it, but you could also check fuses S238 and S37

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a parts car with all four doors intact minus the panels/switches. If you think you need a door module or harness let me know.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
I have 01336--CCM, and 01314-steering wheel. I used to have right rear codes before I took the door apart and tested the wires-no shorts there. Since the car has beeped at me when I think it shouldn't, I'm going to go Caddyshack and get under the carpet with the CCM and wires. I will also take apart the door lock module and spray lube the heck out of it.

The car is no longer my daily driver, so yeah, I have time. Maybe I'll end up buying a door lock module, but not before destroying the original part, you know?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have had good luck with ebay chinese replacement door lock modules @$22 shipped
Seem to be just as well made as originals
I have done all 4

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
All 4 have come from different vendors
I try to buy from vendors that ship from US distribution
I did receive 1 that was poorly packaged and suffered breakage, but i did get a refund
You can get a bundle of all 4 for 75
So far my Mexico reman axles @60ish from OReilley have been flawless as well
Another recent good deal was Pirelli P4 205 55 16 at Sams on free install day 232 OTD

Last edited:

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
An update:

VCDS codes are variable, I have had codes for CCM, steering wheel, radio, and RR door, but not the same every time after clearing.

After finding wetness under driver side, I have pulled the carpet back on each side after taking seats out, the kind of scut job that makes you ask if you're really doing this thing, why?

It's wet, but not puddle wet. The carpet padding is thick and stubborn-do they still make them like that? The CCM connectors look clean. I brought the green board in the house to stay dry for now. The trans control module is much more robust and connectors look good.

I will start checking grounds and harness wires as best I can, but does anyone know how to check if CCM board is good?

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
What a fun project! What I know so far is that a 35$ lock module seems to be working! Thanks Truman, for the global economy recommendation!

But like with an old human being, there is more than one thing wrong. There are two different splices about three inches from the comfort module, and the first one pulled apart way too easily. These look like ground wires. I've searched a little, but am still confused about what may be the best way to make a five into one splice with no more than 20 gauge wires. Can any of our dudes here suggest the best way?

Also, kudos to Buddy's U Pull in Springfield Missouri for having an awesome horde of cars! I now have a CCM from a 2004 Passat for 30$ that is a fine insurance policy. When this job is over, drop me a line....

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to normal again. There is a tremendous library here, a ton on lock modules and on the CCM, the wires and freaky fault codes. Thank you to all who posted before!

Water got in, most likely under the brake booster, but couldn't tell until carpet and padding taken out. CCM looked OK, but 5 into 1 splice fell apart. Repaired that.

Then the RR lock module was bad, I got a $35 unit that works! The only remaining electrical code is 00931, telling me I got a rest of world unit, and the computer knows it. Ha!

I bought a drivers door switch unit probably didn't need, and a new window carrier unit because plastic breaks.