OFFICIAL Ontario "Whats it worth thread"

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
An almost 12 year old car with 253k....id say windex was right with his estimate, but if you got offers of 5k plus that's great, GLWS
I just sold my 2000 golf with 295k for 5500 - mind you that car looked like it had 95k, and had a fresh timing belt, intake cleaning, turbo cleaning, and almost new all seasons and winters (both sets on factory alloys)

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I just sold my 2000 golf with 295k for 5500 - mind you that car looked like it had 95k, and had a fresh timing belt, intake cleaning, turbo cleaning, and almost new all seasons and winters (both sets on factory alloys)
If you were able to get that then that's great... My car with 260k is probably worth 4k if that, but I would list it for a lot more and hope to get around the same as you

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
as-is will always get you a lot lower, most people have no clue how to put a car on the road, they are lost at the DMV so you limit your target audience quite a bit just in that. Also the higher you go you narrow it even more, people don't have the cash to drop on a car while they sell theirs, they need the trade in values or financing.....

ss04, personally if I read your ad it would raise a lot of flags, you've owned the car very little, have no story, needs timing belt (or no history). It really just sounds like you're trying to flip it for a profit. "curb sider" comes to mind instantly. To a non-mechanic the car needs $2500 in maintenance items to get it up to par (tires/timing belt/reg maintenence)

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
as-is will always get you a lot lower, most people have no clue how to put a car on the road, they are lost at the DMV so you limit your target audience quite a bit just in that. Also the higher you go you narrow it even more, people don't have the cash to drop on a car while they sell theirs, they need the trade in values or financing.....

ss04, personally if I read your ad it would raise a lot of flags, you've owned the car very little, have no story, needs timing belt (or no history). It really just sounds like you're trying to flip it for a profit. "curb sider" comes to mind instantly. To a non-mechanic the car needs $2500 in maintenance items to get it up to par (tires/timing belt/reg maintenence)
This is a what's it worth thread not a for sale ad. Also, the car is registered in my name, which means I paid taxes on it (I bought it from a dealer so I paid the full pop, not like when you buy it from a private seller, and numbers get fudged to reduce taxes the new owner will pay). IF my 09 JSW doesn't sell, then I might have to consider selling the 03.

Darkside

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 2-Door - "Smurf Blood"
2000 Golf TDI - sell whole or part out?

I have a 2000 Golf TDI that I'm debating selling whole or parting out. Let me know if this sounds unreasonable.

2dr, 5spd, 375,000km
The Good:
KermaTDI 150+hp kit installed last year (approx. 35,000km) ($2200 incl gauges)
Dieselgeek 5 spd short shifter ($125)
Whiteline front sway bar with adjustable endlinks ($200)
Southbend Turbo and EGT gauges in steering column pod
Standard R1 12-way adjustable coilovers ($500)
New rear ATE brakes and pads
aftermarket 17" wheels ($400)
New Radiator
Frostheater ($100)
New windshield
Glass headlight covers ($150)

The Bad:
Needs a wheel bearing
Timing belt needs to be done within the next 25000km
needs ebrake cable

$4500?

I've put in brackets what I would part it out for.
I also have the following that are currently not on the car.
NIB Southbend Stage 2 SMF/Clutch ($500)
17" BBS RS 3 piece wheels w/stretched. Decent condition, a bit of rash on one wheel and 2 tires need to be replaced. ($1000)
NIB .658 5th gear - reduces RPM's by 11% ($300)

I also think that I could ask $900 for the longblock - minus turbo
It is in good running condition, leaks a bit around the EGR Valve.

Let me know if my pricing sounds reasonable.
Thanks

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Mods don't add value, maybe some, but not a whole lot... As the car sits i'd say around 3000... it's a 15 year old car with 375k. You're better off parting out the parts you've put into it and then sell the car, could probably make more money that way

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
Opinion Please: I have a 2001 Golf, 2 door, ALH with 274,000 kms on it. Is in great shape as far as:
- new rear shocks
- new rear pads & rotors & brake cable
- new windshield
- new glow plug harness
- rad replaced two years ago
- runs great with mods, chip, suspension, 20th AE springs, etc.
- BUT needs a new head gasket or potentially new head as loosing coolant rapidly

I have decided to move on.
Should I try to sell, or part out?
If I part out in my garage or driveway, and lets assume i get rid of wheels, shocks, springs, brakes, callipers, etc, etc, how would I ever get the car out of my driveway, can a tow truck hoist it to get it to The Source yard?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
A flatbed can drag it up with a cable & winch. But in all honesty, there are so many of these cars being recycled now, that it is not worth your time to part it out. Sell complete as is for $1200-1500.

You can also sell the ECU seperately to get a few extra $$$. Ask for $200 + the buyers old ECU. Its a 5 min procedure to swap & recode to your car with VCDS (2000-2001 only).

Last edited:

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Going to post the 2004 Jetta very soon. Bought an Odyssey for the growing family, baby #3 on the way. What would a fair price be?

-Stock 2004 TDi with 348k km
- VR6 brakes
- GLI suspension with all new bushings and tie rods, done 4 yrs ago.
- timing belt done at 320k km
- new clutch 20k km ago
- new steering rack 2 years ago
- winter wheels
- fully loaded with all options and ESP

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
A flatbed can drag it up with a cable & winch. But in all honesty, there are so many of these cars being recycled now, that it is not worth your time to part it out. Sell complete as is for $1200-1500.

You can also sell the ECU seperately to get a few extra $$$. Ask for $200 + the buyers old ECU. Its a 5 min procedure to swap & recode to your car with VCDS (2000-2001 only).
Thanks Nigel. Yeah I've got a potential buyer, and have some rims, Alpine BT radio and like you say swap ECU potentially. Get a few hundred here and there.

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
I am probably going to be selling my '01 allroad with 220K kms in the not too distant future. A fair number of issues mean it is probably best sold as a donor for parts (6spd manual + drive-line + 2.7T engine) or scrapped. Engine and transmission are okay. Minor oil leaks from the usual places, TB due soon, front doors and rear hatch are rusting, 1 cat done, O2 sensors failing, EGT sensor failing, rear caliper seized, front-end play, suspension recently started leaking at levels below 3, interior worn from use/kids. A nice car, but it would cost too much to pay someone to fix her up. With a young family, I haven't the time these days.

I don't have the space or time to part it myself. Any suggestions for pricing it?

Last edited:

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I am probably going to be selling my '01 allroad with 220K kms in the not too distant future. A fair number of issues mean it is probably best sold as a donor for parts (6spd manual + drive-line + 2.7T engine) or scrapped. Engine and transmission are okay. Minor oil leaks from the usual places, TB due soon, front doors and rear hatch are rusting, 1 cat done, O2 sensors failing, EGT sensor failing, rear caliper seized, front-end play, suspension recently started leaking at levels below 3, interior worn from use/kids. A nice car, but it would cost too much to pay someone to fix her up. With a young family, I haven't the time these days.

I don't have the space or time to part it myself. Any suggestions for pricing it?
What is the price on the sellers package?

Andrew

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Looking for an idea on the value of my mum's 2010 GSW Highline DSG. She's thinking about getting into a new Golf.

2010 Golf Wagen Highline with a DSG
- All maint done on time at the dealer with invoices (including the DSG flush at 60k. The car has always had 507.00 - i can personally confirm that)
- Car is dark blue on black leather
- 81,000 kms
- 1 owner - she bought the car brand new in Nov of 2010
- the only option it doesn't have is bluetooth (was an option back in 2010)
- the car had a fender bender - the left front fender was replaced with an original part from the dealer - I paid out of my pocket as the total repair was under the deductible (also called in a favor at a local bodyshop). There was no other damage. I can probably find a picture of the accident if a potential buyer would like to see it
- The car has a 3m covering on the front, but is missing the little corner on the left front fender that never got redone. Also has a trunk mat and monster mats (they say Jetta, not Golf). We can negotiate about the winter tires - they're 4 year old Nokian Hakka 5s - maybe 20k on them - she doesn't tend to go out when the snow starts.
- Under warranty, it had an exhaust flap (recently), sunroof frame, 1 front wheel bearing (don't recall which side), and will be getting a new left front top plate and coil spring this week. We paid for a new battery last week as the original 1 was weak. There might be another few things - I'd have to get her to dig out the bills.

There are no warning lights on in the dash, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't pass a safety inspection. I am willing to check the DPF level for any interested buyer but given that the car has spent the last 3 years on the highway or secondary roads, i would be very surprised if there was any kind of issue (they live just outside Montreal)

The transaction would have to pass through the local VW dealer, so they might be able to offer financing or a warranty or something - I haven't spoken to them to confirm this, but they've been great with us in the past, so I'm not expecting any problems.

The million dollar question - what is this car worth? We're hoping for around $20k giving that it's a highline and the low mileage, but is that realistic?

Last edited:

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
What is the price on the sellers package?
Not yet decided... Tough to find a manual on kijiji with so much deferred maintenance ;)

Prices on kijiji for autos range from $1500-$6000. The lower priced one needs a new transmission or rebuild. Parts for a manual swap typically sell for $2000 but that is after disassembly & 1st/2nd synchro & deburring of the collar. Mine isn't supper smooth to get into 1st/2nd but it isn't too bad either. Engine is worth ~ $700 or so. I figure I'd be lucky to get $2500 given its condition but I can't see putting too much to much to keep it on the road. Not firm on selling just yet but it will probably be soon.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Looking for an idea on the value of my mum's 2010 GSW Highline DSG. She's thinking about getting into a new Golf.

2010 Golf Wagen Highline with a DSG
- All maint done on time at the dealer with invoices (including the DSG flush at 60k. The car has always had 507.00 - i can personally confirm that)
- Car is dark blue on black leather
- 81,000 kms
- 1 owner - she bought the car brand new in Nov of 2010
- the only option it doesn't have is bluetooth (was an option back in 2010)
- the car had a fender bender - the left front fender was replaced with an original part from the dealer - I paid out of my pocket as the total repair was under the deductible (also called in a favor at a local bodyshop). There was no other damage. I can probably find a picture of the accident if a potential buyer would like to see it
- The car has a 3m covering on the front, but is missing the little corner on the left front fender that never got redone. Also has a trunk mat and monster mats (they say Jetta, not Golf). We can negotiate about the winter tires - they're 4 year old Nokian Hakka 5s - maybe 20k on them - she doesn't tend to go out when the snow starts.
- Under warranty, it had an exhaust flap (recently), sunroof frame, 1 front wheel bearing (don't recall which side), and will be getting a new left front top plate and coil spring this week. We paid for a new battery last week as the original 1 was weak. There might be another few things - I'd have to get her to dig out the bills.

There are no warning lights on in the dash, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't pass a safety inspection. I am willing to check the DPF level for any interested buyer but given that the car has spent the last 3 years on the highway or secondary roads, i would be very surprised if there was any kind of issue (they live just outside Montreal)

The transaction would have to pass through the local VW dealer, so they might be able to offer financing or a warranty or something - I haven't spoken to them to confirm this, but they've been great with us in the past, so I'm not expecting any problems.

The million dollar question - what is this car worth? We're hoping for around $20k giving that it's a highline and the low mileage, but is that realistic?
no one?

-cj-

TDI
2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg
I'll soon be parting with this lovely beast:

2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, 6 speed
31,000 km
White exterior, black cloth interior
I'll be selling it in stock form with brand new OEM tires.
No accidents. Mint condition.

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
gone: 97 b4v, 01, 00 mk4 now: 06 mk4v
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
2013 Golf Wolfsburg TDI w/ 31k, bone stock. whats the value on the open market?

"Check Auto Trader and Kijiji."

-cj-

TDI
2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg
Responded via PM, but for anyone interested: I haven't had a chance to conduct any real research on pricing yet, but it'll be based on Autotrader.ca pricing for a 2013 TDI Wolfsburg with similar mileage. Anyone who's interested, feel free to PM me offers. If I can avoid the whole Autotrader/tire kickers ordeal in favour of a quicker, no hassle deal...

atse

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
Need some opinions:

2013 Golf Wagon TDI DSG
43,000km
cloth interior
MMI Package
No Pano

OEM GTI non-LED Xenons with working high beams
OEM GLI flat bottom steering wheel with working buttons and paddles
MK6 Golf R suspension (dampers and springs, ~ 1inch drop from stock)
VW roof rack
Will come with 16 inch winters.

How much should I ask?
Should I find someone to swap lights and steering wheel prior to sale?

wiartonwillie

TDI
2002 jetta
Customer/Friend brought his 2005 Jetta TDI in on a wrecker today. It was lent to his nephew for the night. I don't know the whole story but, it was driven until it stalled, coasted to the side of the road. Would not turn over. Bring it to my shop today and it has a hole thru the oil pan. Looks like it hit something on the road.
What is the value of this car?
Is it worth fixing?
It will turn over and start now. We filled it with oil and only ran it for 5 seconds and then we shut it off.
2005 Jetta, AUTO, 320,000KM body is average.
Let me know what you guys think.
Bill