OFFICIAL Ontario "Whats it worth thread"

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
From experience, they won't cover that hatch...they'll blame it on a leaky washer pump. Tried 2 different dealers to get this covered

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Way too much... even if it was stock.... Almost 10k? And it's not a wagon? I'd day $6500-$7500 at the most.

:EDIT: Missed the rebuilt title, you won't get close to what I thought..

Last edited:

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Think of the risk a buyer is assuming. You may know and be fully confident in the quality of that car, but a 'rebuilt' title makes a buyer extremely wary since they have no reason to be as certain about the vehicle as you are. You need to lower your price to entice somebody to overlook that risk.

I was in the same position last year when I was buying. There was a sweet looking BEW 5sp wagon at a good price, but it was rebuilt and I just didn't want to deal with the risk. A more savvy buyer might have done more due diligence and decided it was a good car, but again the price had to be low enough to make it worth somebody's time/effort to go through all that.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Does it actually say rebuilt on the ownership? cloth interor, steel wheels, timing belt needs to be done? Ya maybe $3500

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Don't forget the low mileage. Lots of high mileage cars available at the $3-4k mark. Even though it doesn't have a lot of options, a clean low mileage car is still worth at least $5k IMHO. Put in on Kijiji and ask $5900 and see what type of a response you get.

Oh, and make sure to tell the buyer to do the timing belt ASAP. An 11 year old belt, regardless of mileage, is a ticking time bomb.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Check the top of the ownership and report back. Most people walk away from a branded car. If you have pictures to show what the damage was, that would help during the sale. Also, did the car had to go through structural inspection before the safety?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
It will say Brand - rebuilt on the ownership if its been tagged. Ill tell you this, its definitely worth checking. If it does not have that you don't have to advertise it as rebuilt, you can simply disclose it had a small fender bender. Spend the $20 on the uvip and see what it says as well. If the ownership is not tagged, Id say you could probably get upwards of $7500..to the right buyer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k68opjb63z9bawr/brand.jpg?dl=0

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We bought a civic from Dominion too. Had a slight side swipe and ended up beeing written off but it didn't have a sapvage title and didn't need a structural inspection. However, all factory warranty was void. As I said before, check the owhership and did it need a structural inspection by MTO before it was allowed to be safetied? If you think a branded car stored for 20 years with lowish Kms will woth a lot, I would say, you should have stayed in school longer.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Not worthless. Just not worth as much to somebody else as it is to you (because you know you can trust it but nobody else does).

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Even at 5-6k I would keep it instead. It still has lots of life left.

I think the next car will be a mk7. mk6 is not that much cheaper and a brand new car is always nice. I will store the mk4 until spring and do the timing belt then. My rwd BRZ just wont cut it for the winter
I wouldn't wait till the spring to do the timing belt, as mentioned they only last so long. I think in the manual it usually says 5 or 7 years life. Its been over 10.. way too long.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you have little intention to drive the car, sell it. It served its purpose, just taking up room.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
If it's going to sit anyway why not start getting the timing tools and begin the teardown? Waiting on a timing belt is a bad idea. I've done that gamble once (my first car, Mk3 gasser), and lost. Never again. Lesson learned. That's why this belt got changed at 6 yrs of age despite being below mileage and not having the cash to do it. It's a repair that's worth pulling out the plastic.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
My dad's 2003 Jetta TDI.

~350k, been parked 1 year. Needs front rack/power steering pump/rear rack.

pics: http://s42.photobucket.com/user/peytron_/library/?view=recent

Maintenance records available.

Any initial thoughts? Thanks in advance!
looks like a base type model (no leather, sun roof etc), but the body looks in great shape. Its a shame its sat for a year, totally screws over the brakes and potentially tires, probably needs new battery. Is it manual or auto? $1500 range probably as long as it runs and moves is my guess, give or take $500 depending the in person condition

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
looks like a base type model (no leather, sun roof etc), but the body looks in great shape. Its a shame its sat for a year, totally screws over the brakes and potentially tires, probably needs new battery. Is it manual or auto? $1500 range probably as long as it runs and moves is my guess, give or take $500 depending the in person condition
It is manual, but has the sun roof with cloth seats. New battery would be good, had to jump it to read the odometer. Ran no problem, only parked because of the steering problem. It was a highway 400 car if that helps.

Thanks!

edit: alternator was replaced in February

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
It is manual, but has the sun roof with cloth seats. New battery would be good, had to jump it to read the odometer. Ran no problem, only parked because of the steering problem. It was a highway 400 car if that helps.

Thanks!

edit: alternator was replaced in February
Let me know if you decide to sell it, am looking for a better body.
Haven't had a chance to see the pics yet, but will soon.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Let me know if you decide to sell it, am looking for a better body.
Haven't had a chance to see the pics yet, but will soon.
Hood and fender were recently replaced (car was in an accident before he got it and they had been replaced with aftermarket that rusted away, now they're VW). He has put 200k on it since he got it. I can post a couple more pics of the paint blemishes that do exist, and there is some rust on the driver's fender.

Going to ask $2k OBO. Will post this in the for sale section soon.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 5 spd, black leather interior, Multi function steering wheel, no sunroof, 253k, no service records (so assume timing belt needs to be done), car runs and drives great, not safetied or etested. No rust on hatch or fenders, except for a tiny bit of surface rust right where the fender liner touches the fender. I washed the sand/dirt from the typical collection point at the bottom of the fender liner and that area is clean/original looking as well. Doesn't appear to have had any paint work, but carproof mentions a front center collision in late 2013. Hood is definitely original, and fenders appear to be as well (similar paint condition to hood). It's possible front bumper was replaced. Everything else seems fine. I went to a dealership to look at another 2003 wagon, but ended up picking this one up before it was listed as the other one had already had all the rust warranty work done, and they didn't do a great job. Just wondering what it's worth - I'd be willing to sell for the right offer as my 09 JSW doesn't seem to be selling at the moment.

EDIT: The car also has a brand new set of snow tires on a set of factory AVUS rims, but does not have any all season rims/tires.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
As is, given the rarity of the wagon, I'd say $4-5k. With the timing belt done and safetied, about a grand higher... to the right buyer.

What colour and how is the interior? any other issues? LCAs, rear beam bushings, shocks, struts, AC, etc?

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Car is dark blue, interior is a solid 9.5/10. The slightest of wear on the drivers seat bolster and a few tiny marks in the headliner from getting things in and out of the car. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the car as far as the way it drives. It'll be up on a hoist this weekend to get a full once over. I've already had two offers on the car of 5k+ so I think you might have been a bit on the low end. These 03 wagons truly are unicorns and it seems 90% of guys on this forum are "the right buyer".

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Car is dark blue, interior is a solid 9.5/10. The slightest of wear on the drivers seat bolster and a few tiny marks in the headliner from getting things in and out of the car. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the car as far as the way it drives. It'll be up on a hoist this weekend to get a full once over. I've already had two offers on the car of 5k+ so I think you might have been a bit on the low end. These 03 wagons truly are unicorns and it seems 90% of guys on this forum are "the right buyer".
An almost 12 year old car with 253k....id say windex was right with his estimate, but if you got offers of 5k plus that's great, GLWS

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The market will pay what the market will pay - or so my economics prof used to say.

The price of any TDI is always in flux - new models, rarity, required maintenance ,Fuel prices etc.

A work colleague has an 05 PD Golf in decent shape, ~175k. In the summer she had offers of 5k as it sat due to fuel prices. As the price of fuel dropped, so did the offers. :D