OFFICIAL Ontario "Whats it worth thread"

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Whoa, kijiji prices are seriously whacked then.
Asking price and selling price are two totally diffetent things. You can ask whatever you want, and some idiots on Kijiji do.

daught

TDI
None
Asking price and selling price are two totally diffetent things. You can ask whatever you want, and some idiots on Kijiji do.
Yea... annoying. Not sure how it ends. Does someone come and pay near the asking price? Or after months of lowballs the seller just takes one.

Lol someone had a 05 passat with 450K listed for ~$6500. For kicks I offered half and I got an angry reply.

Quanger

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 ALH TDi
What is a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 5spd Fully-loaded with 360k worth? Provided it has had recent timing belt & brakes jobs completed. Also with very minimal rust at the rocker where it meets the fender.

Basketcase

TDI
none yet
2006 Jetta wagon

What's she worth:
Jetta wagon, 2006
Sliver, auto tranny, 275,000 kms
due for timing belt/water pump replacement
winter wheels/tires
sunroof, heated seats
I bought it with 42000 kms. so I'm the 2nd owner

DumpInfo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI
What is a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 5spd Fully-loaded with 360k worth? Provided it has had recent timing belt & brakes jobs completed. Also with very minimal rust at the rocker where it meets the fender.
Between $3K-$4K

What's she worth:
Jetta wagon, 2006
Sliver, auto tranny, 275,000 kms
due for timing belt/water pump replacement
winter wheels/tires
sunroof, heated seats
I bought it with 42000 kms. so I'm the 2nd owner
Between $6K-$7K

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Wondering what my 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI would be worth to you guys:

The story (and list of new parts)

I bought it at 249k with a bad auto trans - It got a 5 speed swap, new clutch, new timing belt/water pump and a new lift pump motor. The cam was inspected at that point, and it's fine. Since then, it's had new LCA's, right complete tie rod, left outer tie rod, 2 front driveshafts (due to leaking boots), right rear caliper carrier, AC compressor, belt tensioner, and front pads. I've repaired both the hood and trunk lock switches as they were giving trouble. I have 2 sets of wheels for it, both in great shape, that i'll include.

Cons:

The car has had body work. I see evidence that something happened with the trunk floor at some point, but i'm not sure what. Almost every panel has had paint. There is almost no rust, but the jacking points behind the front wheels are rusty. There is a slight vibration when braking - need to change the discs. There is something funky with the door locks - the alarm is working properly, so I haven't looked into the issue.

I don't see why it wouldn't pass a safety as it is

Given the body work on the car, I'm not sure what it's really worth. I wish the paint was nicer - it looks good from a distance, but when you get closer, you can see that it wasn't a great paint job.

Any ideas, guys?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I think it would be a hard sell, but you didnt mention if it was leather / sunroof or not, also cert and e-testing goes a long way, most people dont have a clue what they need to do.

daught

TDI
None
Looks like I need a temporary car for the winter since my audi 90 HG leaks pressure in my coolant. Unfortunately I can only go to Europe to import a car in the spring :(

I have a friend that offered me a 2004 A4 1.8T avant 6 speed 160 000KM for $6000. Is that a good deal? How much can I expect to sell it for in the spring if I put 20K on it? $8000 :p? Sorry for posting a non diesel but I am kinda clueless about kijiji prices.

Last edited:

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Not an automobile, but parts instead. Want to know what this stuff is worth.

- 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI factory springs (70km)
- 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI Factory Shocks/struts (70km, no leaks, great shape)
- 2009 Jetta GLI spings (Can post paint codes if required)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like I need a temporary car for the winter since my audi 90 HG leaks pressure in my coolant. Unfortunately I can only go to Europe to import a car in the spring :(

I have a friend that offered me a 2004 A4 1.8T avant 6 speed 160 000KM for $6000. Is that a good deal? How much can I expect to sell it for in the spring if I put 20K on it? $8000 :p? Sorry for posting a non diesel but I am kinda clueless about kijiji prices.
Just buy a cheap 2001-up Civic and drive it until spring. Then sell it.

daught

TDI
None
Just buy a cheap 2001-up Civic and drive it until spring. Then sell it.
Tried that when my 90's fuel lines rusted. Worst experience of my life... and that says a lot considering my first car was a firebird. Everything broke on that damn civic.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I think it would be a hard sell, but you didnt mention if it was leather / sunroof or not, also cert and e-testing goes a long way, most people dont have a clue what they need to do.
It has a roof, no mags/leather. I honestly think that it doesn't need anything for safety - i've stayed on top of anything that's come up. It will pass an e-test - only glow plug faults (due to the trans swap)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tried that when my 90's fuel lines rusted. Worst experience of my life... and that says a lot considering my first car was a firebird. Everything broke on that damn civic.

The previous owner must have beat that car to hell. Civics are very robust cars. I had some that lasted into the 600K km with very little up keep.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
The previous owner must have beat that car to hell. Civics are very robust cars. I had some that lasted into the 600K km with very little up keep.
In the early 2000's they had some transmissions issues though. both the auto's and 5 speeds. I'd still buy one now though, I tell people to just go buy a civic if they need a cheap car, hard to go wrong.

VaughanTDI

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hey guys, I'm thinking of selling my 2000 Jetta TDI, since I now have a dedicated work van the Jetta has just sat in the driveway for the last 4 months and I figure it's time it got a more deserving home. I'm not sure what to list it at and Iw anted to know what it's worth.

2000 Jetta TDI
167,000km
5Spd
Silver, minor driverside fender rust starting, otherwise body is clear of rust, has a few dents and scratches, I'd say nothing uncommon for almost 15years of use.
Timing belt was done at 143,000km
New Battery
5 all seasons (4 + 1 full size spare)
5 new winter tires (4 + 1 full size spare)
Full interior dynamat
Pioneer headunit
2 JL audio amps + sub + speakers
Also willing to certified and e-test, the cars needs nothing.

I set up the car as the ultimate Dailey driver. I'm happy to take the stereo out and use it in the next vehicle but I'm to sure what the car is really worth.

Last edited:

Robski92

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
For a 14 year old car? LOL!
Fairly low mileage with some nice upgrades and seems to have maintenance taken care of. Post that on kijiji for 7k and his phone would be ringing fast.

I paid 5000 for mine with similar mileage but no tbelt done.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Fairly low mileage with some nice upgrades and seems to have maintenance taken care of. Post that on kijiji for 7k and his phone would be ringing fast.

I paid 5000 for mine with similar mileage but no tbelt done.
If it were 3 years newer maybe, no one is going to pay 7k for a 14 (almost 15 year old TDI) that's not a wagon. That's just insane.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
If it were 3 years newer maybe, no one is going to pay 7k for a 14 (almost 15 year old TDI) that's not a wagon. That's just insane.
Exactly. With it being a 2000, the rust will come soon then it will not be as pretty.

Wagon's keep their value, I could see that if it was a wagon but a sedan, no way jose!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A timing belt job only makes the car sell faster and doesn't increase its value.

daught

TDI
None
05 Passat, minimal paint bubbling, 240K, timing belt done at 160K, full VW service record... what's it worth?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BSM done or not? That will make a big difference.
It only makes a difference to a gearhead. The average buyer don't know or cares about it, and that's 99% of the driver's out there.

Take care of the paint bubbling under the warranty and the car should worth about $5-5500, if safetied and eTested.

daught

TDI
None
No BSM.

It has a bit more rust than bubbles. The VW rust warranty is a bit discouraging in this forum thread

imp000 is right on. I had a car for sale with a detailed ad that highlighted a lot of preventive maintenance, including a rebuilt transmission that is a known issue to gear heads. It had very little interest. I sold it within a day after I changed the ad to the typical "mint condition, no issues".