OFFICIAL Ontario "Whats it worth thread"

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Also date & odo reading of when it was fixed, so that we know how much warranty is left on it.
They are rare so you might be able to get good coin for it if you're not too greedy.

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf
Hi Everyone,
Contemplating on selling my car as I won't be using it much and don't have much need for it anymore. Trying to gauge what it's worth on here. It's a white 2015 VW Golf TDI with around 56,000km (bought new in 2017 due to the diesel stop sell). The trim is comfortline and everything is stock with a set of winter tires. It's accident free and regular maintenance were done at the dealership. What do you think it's worth? TIA!
Ah yes, more information would certainly be helpful, thank you! It's an automatic. I bought it "new" in 2017 after they applied the fix so the 12 year emission related warranty would start from around May 2017. Attaching a couple of pics -one from end of Summer so not much has changed, another of the odomoter reading. Regarding the price, I'm not sure and that's what I'm trying to gauge on here.

Pic 1
Pic 2

Frenzyk

TDI
'14 Golf Sportwagen
Thinking of selling my '14 wagon. Been a great car,, but I'm just not driving much any more.

- just under 140k
- automatic
- Wolfsburg edition with a Sony XAV-210 (carplay/android auto) and weathertech mats
- bought if from VW in March '19 with 85k on it, so lots of emissions warranty left.
- generally in pretty good nick. Everything works, except the hood release is a little stiff
- have basically new conti's and fairly wall used Michelin x-ice winters
- brake pads are in good shape, rears redone 2020, one rear caliper replaces Feb'22 (stuck handbrake mech)
- maintenance is up to date, just had an oil change (full syn)

The bad part, has a dent in the passenger side rocker panel from going over a snowbank that was more iceberg than snowbank. Makes the passenger door a little hard to close and causes some wind noise. Wasn't planning to fix if I kept it as it doesn't bother me and doesn't really affect use of the car, but wondering what effect it'll have on resale. There's also a small ding in the hatch. Otherwise, no accidents and typical wear & tear.

Pics Here: Pics

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not going to mention any specifics in order to avoid hurting feelings, but some sellers are out of touch with reality just because of the perceived high demand for TDI unicorns. In order for you to have a unicorn, it must be mint. You also don't have a unicorn if you are trying to sell a used 7+ year old specimen with "low milage" for more than it cost when it was new back then.

The only potential buyers of your unicorns will most likely be fellow enthusiasts who know quite a bit about them...

And also keep in mind that today's diesel prices have severely impacted just how special your perceived unicorns are compared to cheaper and more readily available comparable gassers, etc.

This is only IMO, but throwing it out there.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Google that MSRP when it was new in 2015
Then Google how much damages payment the owner got to fix it. Then, draw your own conclusion.

Since it's a dealer, they probably just sold it back to VW and the dealer got it cheap as a result.

If you drive a lot and can rack up the ~90k worth of balance in the next 3 years, it could be worth it..... But not many people drive that much these days, and even if you do, with diesel being a good 30 cents or more per L, there's little ROI to be had on something that isn't a bargain.

raggdoll

TDI
2015 2L
2015 Golf, worth this price ? (18,900)

I passed on this Golf as it wasn't in that nice of shape, was smoked in heavily, all 4 rims curb rashed badly, was hit on the passenger door, had paint overspray in the drivers rear wheel well...

Now very close to buying a 14 SportWagen, was VW corporate car from new to 8,000km then sold to a private individual. Only has 76km on it, fully loaded, absolutely mint. Black on black. Its no bargain price wise, but a car like this with known history, service and maintenance is worth the extra money to me.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
I passed on this Golf as it wasn't in that nice of shape, was smoked in heavily, all 4 rims curb rashed badly, was hit on the passenger door, had paint overspray in the drivers rear wheel well...

Now very close to buying a 14 SportWagen, was VW corporate car from new to 8,000km then sold to a private individual. Only has 76km on it, fully loaded, absolutely mint. Black on black. Its no bargain price wise, but a car like this with known history, service and maintenance is worth the extra money to me.
Manual or auto? Curious what the price is nowadays for a low mileage mk6 tdi wagon... There aren't many mk6 wagons around to begin with, and the ones I've seen, asking price is stupid

raggdoll

TDI
2015 2L
Manual or auto? Curious what the price is nowadays for a low mileage mk6 tdi wagon... There aren't many mk6 wagons around to begin with, and the ones I've seen, asking price is stupid
It was an auto I think, the guy bailed on me said now his wife wants to keep it!

I call BS and that he likely got a better price than he and I agreed upon, which was already high at 18.9!!!

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
It was an auto I think, the guy bailed on me said now his wife wants to keep it!

I call BS and that he likely got a better price than he and I agreed upon, which was already high at 18.9!!!
Normally i'd say 18.9 is a lot for a mk6 wagon, but with only 78k, and the crazy market, that seems like a normal price these days, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got north offered north of 20. Keep looking, far and few left out there from what i've been seeing and hearing from dealers lately

TDI2005MW

TDI
2005 TDI Passat
I have a grey 2005 Passat TDI GLS sedan with automatic transmission. Power sunroof, black leather seats - I’m the original owner. Approaching 225km and car is in excellent condition. All maintenance done by VW Toronto and I have all service logs and fuel milage tracked.

A couple of small rust spots starting to appear. Both rear door locks are sticky when trying to open up with key fob.

Both keys, owners manual, original and rubber floor mats. Also have winter tires on rims (a few years old) and a couple of extra hub caps. It’s a tank of a car and could keep going forever. What’s it worth?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have a grey 2005 Passat TDI GLS sedan with automatic transmission. Power sunroof, black leather seats - I’m the original owner. Approaching 225km and car is in excellent condition. All maintenance done by VW Toronto and I have all service logs and fuel milage tracked.

A couple of small rust spots starting to appear. Both rear door locks are sticky when trying to open up with key fob.

Both keys, owners manual, original and rubber floor mats. Also have winter tires on rims (a few years old) and a couple of extra hub caps. It’s a tank of a car and could keep going forever. What’s it worth?
Best answer is "to whom"?

If the answer is "to someone on this site", I would ask (know these cars well) has the balance shaft module been dealt with? Has the camshaft ever been replaced? If no cam replacement, how often has the old been changed and with what oil? How many times has the transmission. Fluid been changed? When was the last time the timing belt system was replaced?

Value would depend on answers to the above.

TDI2005MW

TDI
2005 TDI Passat
Best answer is "to whom"?

If the answer is "to someone on this site", I would ask (know these cars well) has the balance shaft module been dealt with? Has the camshaft ever been replaced? If no cam replacement, how often has the old been changed and with what oil? How many times has the transmission. Fluid been changed? When was the last time the timing belt system was replaced?

Value would depend on answers to the above.
Appreciate the questions and context. Camshaft hasn’t been replaced. Oil changed every 6-12 months (minimal driving the past 5 years) with SAE 5W-30. Timing belt pre 2018, other repairs in 2021/2022 include brakes and rotors, front control arm replaced, CV boots, intake flap motor… small maintenance repairs. Does that help to get to a ballpark value?

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Appreciate the questions and context. Camshaft hasn’t been replaced. Oil changed every 6-12 months (minimal driving the past 5 years) with SAE 5W-30. Timing belt pre 2018, other repairs in 2021/2022 include brakes and rotors, front control arm replaced, CV boots, intake flap motor… small maintenance repairs. Does that help to get to a ballpark value?
Knowing that does help and within this community, I would say $3-4K is a reasonable offer only because it doesn't have balance shaft delete or geared, using 5w-30 instead of 5w-40 isn't helping the camshaft, depending who did the front end work maybe more needs to be replaced, its an automatic and there is some body rust and issues with rear doors. This is my opinion, don't take it to heart, others and potential buyers might look at it differently.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
As above, 5w30 is the wrong oil for this car, and not great when it comes to one of these cars weak points - the camshaft.

With the Cam an unknown quantity, I would be thinking about the other two common issues on these cars - the Balance shaft module, which if unaddressed has the potential to grenade the engine, and the transmission itself.

The trans if properly serviced and driven gently can last a long time. Driven agressively and/or with minimal/no fluid changes is a very expensive problem waiting to happen.

To me with the three issues unaddressed, this is a $1k-$2k car, as I would bank on a BSM delete, a Cam and timing belt replacement, and a transmission replacement in the next 100k (might be better/different if you provide feedback on if the transmission fluid has ever been changed).

That's not to say you couldn't get more from someone on Kijiji...

TDI2005MW

TDI
2005 TDI Passat
Thank for the insight! I like the idea of it going to someone who knows TDIs - it’s been such a good car I want it to go to a good home and won’t chase price aggressively. Appreciate all of the input.

curtis75

TDI
none, yet
Looking at selling my 2002 Ford Ranger with ALH. It is an FX4 In good shape. Odometer says 265000. Manual transmission. It will be safetied. VNT 17, injectors and stage 4 tune. I've done a little debugging but haven't put many miles on it yet.

ParkerCollicutt

TDI
2002 alh jetta stage 3, 2004 wagon tdi, 1992 jetta getting alh swap
Looking at selling my 2002 Ford Ranger with ALH. It is an FX4 In good shape. Odometer says 265000. Manual transmission. It will be safetied. VNT 17, injectors and stage 4 tune. I've done a little debugging but haven't put many miles on it yet.
I’m interested and would like to see more of it. I sent you a message on here but is there a easier way to reach you?