Southern Ontario Mechanic Reviews Thread

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I've recently heard of a very poor experience a member here had at a shop called AutoLinks (located in Vaughan)

http://www.autolinksvaughan.ca/dealership/about.htm

The shop installed components incorrectly resulting in additional damage to the car. The memeber had the car towed to this shop to only have the shop not stand by their work and deny it was their fault.

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
Here's a plug for Jason at Foreign Automotive in Kitchener - he's always given me prompt service at a reasonable price - which is important when you drive a 10 year old car w/420K KM on the dial!

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've recently heard of a very poor experience a member here had at a shop called AutoLinks (located in Vaughan)

http://www.autolinksvaughan.ca/dealership/about.htm

The shop installed components incorrectly resulting in additional damage to the car. The memeber had the car towed to this shop to only have the shop not stand by their work and deny it was their fault.
Just curious - who was the member and what were the components in question?

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
**** STAY AWAY FROM THESE GUYS ****

Autolinks Audi VW Service
112 Maplecrete Rd, Concord ON
416 740 4273
Owner: Jason
Mechanics: Mike and Dennis

if you need the reason I'm more then willing to do it over PM
Aspire, please PM me details.
---
EDIT: Aspire, I think you should POST your experience publicly. State the facts; I do not see any problem with that.

Jay you need to fix this situation.

Rahul

Last edited:

hussainm

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Yuri, you're just being grumpy.
I'm concerned about the 10 minute test drive being able to gauge the overall condition of Hussain's car.
When was the timing belt last done?
What parts were replaced?
What condition is the transmission fluid?
How free are the e-brake pivots on the rear calipers?
When was the intake last cleaned?
Did he give the answers to these on the all-encompassing *everything's A-OK* test drive?
Windex, I did not ask him those questions and was a little disappointed later on with his service. I don't know if I'll go back there for anything major.

This comes after I asked how hard is it to change a fuel filter (I knew how to do it I was just thinking to quiz him about it). He immediately said don't do it I need a vacuum pump. I thought that was kind of lame since you don't really need a vacuum pump.

He also didn't address my hard braking problem (I didn't know my vacuum line was shot back then, I was a huge noob then and now I'm a little less of a noob) and said he replaced the rear brakes to fix the problem. I could have done that on my own. Instead I had to pay him after he had already done it and it didn't solve the problem.

I do like the guy but I just don't trust him with my TDI (Phil at almost racing). He does love Audi's though. Maybe if I had an Audi.

biohazardtj

TDI
2000,jetta/2005,wagon
If you're in the SW-Ontario area Tri-Star Automotive outside Palmerston is worth mentioning, small shop but a very good owner who will look after your car proper. www.tristarauto.ca

Joe managed to get my TB and a whole lot of other stuff done with very little warning from me that I would be needing his help! Very friendly and knowledgeable. Flexible hours and that silly white Beetle loaner car are a plus!!! It was 10:50pm on a Friday night when I left his shop with a grin on my face.

It helps that Tri-Star is a dealer for: Colt Cams, Malone Tuning, South Bend clutches, BuzzKen exhausts, and insists on top-line OE replacement parts and has the dedication to Euro diesel cars.

Couple weeks later and couple 1000km later, I have no complaints and would go back there without hesitation!

It's an hour-ish cruise from London, Woodstock, or Tri-Cities K/W/C area. When I was living in Georgetown I would go to H2Sport (they are parts-only now, no service), and now that I'm in Woodstock I have been to Jason at ForeignAutomotive, and am happy to add Tri-Star to my very short list of shops I trust.
is there any updated contact info for theses guys? i cant seem to get through by phone. They still around? my antiquated IE5 at work doesnt let me have much info from their site. if not i guess Erin is my next best bet for distance?
thanx

loosecannon

TDI
2003 Golf
Wroth European Automotive
25 Erinville Dr, Unit 6
Erin, ON, N0B 1T0 1-519-833-5000
www.wroth.ca
wrothauto@hotmail.com
We have 6 TDI's in my family and have been taking them to Hendrick for the past 4 years, Hendrick and his team of very knowledgeable mechanics have alway been able to get the job done fast and affordable. Wroth is for sure my choice for southern ontario volkswagen guru's. they also provide a courtesy car if needed, added bonus its a TDI!!
+1 from me here. Only good things to say about these guys

george_o25

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Silver
Brandon of DCB automotive on Oakdale.
His diagnostics of my 2003 tdi wagon were simply amazing. He found the problems and solutions confidently. I spent a fair bit of money 2$K but now I have a newly chip tuned and the turbo and the auto trans and the egr and on and on all run perfectly.

biohazardtj

TDI
2000,jetta/2005,wagon
Wally at WT Automotive
1215 Wellington St., Unit 2
Port Elgin Ontario, Canada
N0H 2C0
Phone: 519-832-2880

Fantastic guy to deal with, knows his Vdubs, Bemers,and Mercs, and his shop rate is probably the cheepest in town!

stayed well after closing, vacuumed and charged my a/c to trouble shoot, found the comp was the issue, never even charged me for the time or the 124a. hes just that guy who puts his customers way above the proffit margin!!

ASPIRES3

TDI
Jetta
****UPDATE****

Autolinks fixed the car!!! :)
The car drives better than before

Jason & Mike thank you so much for fixing the car i really appreciate it

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
****UPDATE****

Autolinks fixed the car!!! :)
The car drives better than before

Jason & Mike thank you so much for fixing the car i really appreciate it

Maybe they resolved the issue, but anybody in the future should NOT go to them at all to avoid any hassle and complications.

ASPIRES3

TDI
Jetta
^^ Good to hear that Jay manned up and took responsibility. What was the final diagnosis/solution?
Needed a new transmission i think it was the Dif that was causing the duck and thumping noise.

Glad its all over with Jay and mike fixed it and the car is better than before, a lot smoother ride

Thanks Autolinks

Last edited:

3rdgenVWTech

TDI
1998 TDI Sold 2000 1.8T
Maybe they resolved the issue, but anybody in the future should NOT go to them at all to avoid any hassle and complications.
if they paid the repairs why not, not very often a garage is going to eat the cost of a transmission. after all even robots make mistakes

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
if they paid the repairs why not, not very often a garage is going to eat the cost of a transmission. after all even robots make mistakes
My opinion, it's the internet. I'm sure people will still go there and I'm sure other's wont. Hey I didn't do anything to cause his engine/transmission to fall out.

BTW we aren't talking about robots...this was a shop owned by humans :cool:

jetmech54

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4, 1.9L, BEW, 393000 Km
I've seen a lot of posts about shops in the GTA area and even east of the GTA and the KW area but are there any shops in the Burlington Hamilton area other then Bittners. I use Bittners for my timing belt changes decent price but did not have good results when they changed out my clutch after about a year it started rattling and making odd noises. in fact I'm looking for a good transmission shop does anyone have any suggestions for the Burlington Hamilton or even the Grimsby way.

Thanks.

James.

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
That's exactly it. Everyone messes up once in a while... how the issue is handled and ultimately resolved makes a big difference with respect to building trust.

This is not a recommendation for or against the shop, just a general statement.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I've seen a lot of posts about shops in the GTA area and even east of the GTA and the KW area but are there any shops in the Burlington Hamilton area other then Bittners. I use Bittners for my timing belt changes decent price but did not have good results when they changed out my clutch after about a year it started rattling and making odd noises. in fact I'm looking for a good transmission shop does anyone have any suggestions for the Burlington Hamilton or even the Grimsby way.

Thanks.

James.

Reto is a standup guy at http://www.lorneparkauto.com/

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Another great experience at Ottostadt in Gatineau. David was able to quickly fix my overboost problem and do a few other small items that needed attention. Extremely knowledgeable, professional and honest.

Anybody in the Ottawa/Gatineau/eastern Ontario region should be checking out Ottostadt for their VW needs.

Thanks again, David!

EVulNation

TDI
golf TDI 2004
if in Hamilton area, I use Felix Auto on hwy 6 south. Compared to Bittners they were $200 cheaper for complete timing belt kit. Just be firm on a scheduled date to fix.

Last edited:

sidshock

Veteran Member
TDI
alh jetta

Thanks.

James.
the Bug shop seems decent.
Been there 4 + times. Not the cheapest. But really good work every time.
On Kenilworth ave near main st.

innocentiturbo

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, 2003 Golf TDI with 59,000km!!!
If your in the Keswick, Georgina, or surrounding area, it would have to be Dan from Woodys VW.

He knows his stuff, can answer a question right off the hop and knows his way around a car, he is also very fair at telling you what you need and what you can get away with not changing, and no pressure, you decide what you want to do it and when you want to do it.

Woodys VW‎
1 Church st (they just moved abit north, to Woodbine and Boyers sdrd)
Keswick, ON L4P 3E9
(905) 989-2718