Southern Ontario Mechanic Reviews Thread

last vw

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
If you're in the Barrie or surrounding area, there is a TDI mechanic on Innisfil Beach Rd. just east of HWY 400. VDUBBS; Mike is the owner. Been taking our 2002 TDI Jetta there for about 2 years and we're more than satisfied with his service and prices. Was put onto him by someone on this website, but can't find the thread/forum. 705 431 8382

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Like some, I do my own wrenching - except when the job calls for tools I don't have.

Last week was such an occurance - My cobbled-together exhaust finally bugged me enough to do something about it. I took it to Zorro Muffler on Centenial parkway in Hamilton, got a quote for Turbo back 2 1/4" @$800 :rolleyes:

Went a little close to work: Budget Exhaust on Harvester in Burlington, same Job, Stainless 304 turbo back - $500, all welded, no clamps. He did exactly what I wanted, and guaranteed the piping for 7 years.

Two thumbs up for Rob (owner) at Budget Exhaust in Burlington - great general repair / Muffler shop.

Now to do my Timing belt this weekend - Le sigh...

Jonny Zero

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P ~ 2001 MK4 GOLF TDI ~ R.I.P
Perjad at Precision Tuning is an honest guy that does excellent work. I've taken my car there for bigger jobs throughout the years. His prices are indeed reasonable.

Stay away from "Kack's Garage" in Burlington. Even though he's a decent, knowledgeable guy and extremely cheap, he's far from thorough and cuts corners. He should calll himself "Hack." I recently had to take my car elsewhere to fix his big mistakes. It almost cost me my motor. He gave me a refund, but I still had to go out of my way to pay MORE to fix the damage/redo the initial work he did.

Last edited:

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just some feedback re: Speedee Gonzalez auto glass... I installed my CF hatch last night and had the assembly together around 7:45pm. By 8pm his crew was at my friend's shop pulling the glass out and prepping the work.

I have done CF hatches before, and usually glass alignment is tough. The guys got it right, first shot, and dead on as far as alignment goes. Believe me, I am seriously picky about these things.

20 minutes in and out, done perfectly.

I definitely recommend Speedee Gonzalez auto glass! Props to Phil Douglas for allowing use of his shop and air / cutting tools.

:)

Last edited:

jhs

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Precision Tuning

+1 for Precision Tuning.
Recent work - timing belt service. Excellently done.
Perjad is nice and honest.
Customers and their cars are in good hands there.
Pricing is reasonable.
If job calls for more time you can conveniently loan a "car" for $40 at the Enterprise located at the same plaza.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Why don't people put in the location with an address when they recommend someone.
An example Redlinedave = G-Tech scarb ???????????
RD3440 = Phil Douglas ????????????

I am searching for someone in the east end of Toronto.
Tried Googling G-tech, nothing found.

I need my brakes lines bled, have an unusual sound when on the highway and some exhaust noise advice. Exhaust noise could be related to the unusual sound.

Last edited:

MateoCicoria

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MkIV Jetta
This thread is awesome. I might have to go see Gerry in London if I can't figure out all the little quirks in the TDI I just bought.

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
Or you can give Foreign Automotive a call and take a shorter drive to Kitchener. I've been going there for about a year after using a dealer for many years, and I wish I'd changed mechanics sooner. His prices are reasonable, the service is quick - they even managed to fix a busted rad the same day!

http://www.foreignautomotive.ca

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Or you can give Foreign Automotive a call and take a shorter drive to Kitchener. I've been going there for about a year after using a dealer for many years, and I wish I'd changed mechanics sooner. His prices are reasonable, the service is quick - they even managed to fix a busted rad the same day!

I've been going here for abouth 3 years... if there's something I can't fix, or I need a part quick. They're the guys to call in the KW area.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI

Unfortunately, their web site is broken:

"Warning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/foreigna/public_html/index.php on line 23

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ')' in /home/foreigna/public_html/index.php on line 23"

oh well....

MrVermin

DumpInfo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI
Abraham's Garage (VW Mechanic) - Shop Review

Abraham's Garage
156 Bullock Dr Unit 52
Markham, ON
By McCowan & Hwy 7

Got an oil change done and serpentine belt replaced on my other golf. Work itself was alright one small incident which won't occur again. They ran out of windshield sticky tags (for next oil visit) so the fella decided to write on a personal document (without my consent) I had in my car only to realize it on my way home. Very disappointed as the document was for work and extremely unprofessional on there end. Called Abraham (owner) the following day and complained about it and mention he would speak to co-worker.

End result, work was completed = satisfactory
Shop is extremely disorganized and as a result on small incident out of owner's control I will not be returning...

CalibreTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 2012 Passat
DCB Automotive
Finch and 400, Toronto

I have 2 cars, 2006 Jetta and my wife drives 2012 Passat.
Been going to Brandon for quite a few years now, timing belt, clutch (dmf), turbo, some break work etc. When time allows I do the small stuff myself.
Work always performed on time, loaner car every time for these major jobs, recommends the best solution and discusses it before proceeding with work, way cheaper then the dealer, seems to care, stands behind his work, just an ordinary, knowledgeable guy fixing cars - good.
My wife will probably have a hard time making there with her passat due to distance and schedule but I don't mind driving there the distance of the 407 every time I need stuff done. Time and money well spent.

DumpInfo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI
DCB Auto (Brandon)
Oakdale

Called Brandon about a week ago regarding an issue I had with my red mk4 golf about rolling back on hills mentioned to bring it in after work and when I arrived he inspected my car on the hoist. As a result my transmission fluid was low and topped it off. No longer occurred again :thumbsup: Also mentioned both of my tie rods were shot so decided to bring it in the following week Thursday. Dropped it off and provided me with a loaner. Returned yesterday as work was completed along with alignment. Thanks for bringing it up to speed!

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
+1 for brandon @ DCB.

if you are going to wait for your repair, check out capri bakery(3min walk)down the road on oakdale toward sheppard. great lunch hot pasta and amazing sicilian cannoli for dessert.

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Adding some additional props out to Pedro @ Speedee Gonzalez auto glass Phone: (416)908-8526.

Pedro took care of a PERFECT glass install in my CF hatch on my Golf a few months ago. I recently picked up a beater MKIV Jetta and called Pedro today to swap out the windshield. Done in around 20 minutes, another perfect job, done on-site, and ahead of time, and UNDER BUDGET! :) (Sekurit glass)

Thanks Pedro and thanks again to Phil Douglas for making that beater look and drive like it is a BRAND NEW CAR for next to nothing $-wise! Two people I can count on and most importantly, TRUST. You guys rock.

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
Top notch service this morning at Woodbridge Alignment

There are 8am and out at 9am ... Great price Great Service !!!!
Take cash and drop the TDIClub name .. "Just sayin"

Highly recommended ..

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
Three guys pop into my mind....

Atilla at vintest...416 638 9558 finch and steeles..
I have owed him money and he still took care of me..a great guy... does custom stuff without gouging you, has alot of knowledge and is always willing to share it with you... just a bit busy at times so, book in advance... busy with 4 lifts and 4 mechanics must tell you something... :)

Perjad at precision is always a great guy.. good prices, honest, and no BS... a bit far for me since he moved north..but great none the less...

If you need any cool custom air cooled work, Pete and I go to Lanner Engineering.. This guy has all the tools, for custom metal work, and specializes in air cooled volkswagens.. he rebuilt the suspension on my custom aircooled 29' ford.. 9053023087 - he is in mississauga... book way in advance.. he is a man in demand..

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
Thanks to David@Ottostadt! www.osmw.ca

Have had my 01 Golf and 05 Wagon in to him a couple of times. Minor work that most of you guys probably handle yourself, but David is polite, professional, and does not push for extra work to be done. A great example was him recommending I go back to my wagon's previous owner's garage to ask about warranty work on the brakes. Saved me lots of cash when David could simply have changed them out and charged me.

Always lays out the options before proceeding, tells me what to watch for, what can wait, and what needs doing now. Very much appreciated.

A bit of a drive for me, but totally worth it.

Andrew

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT, 1991 Turbo Diesel Jetta 5MT
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rob Weston in Markham. He specializes in Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche and does good, honest work. He's been running his shop for 28 years.

Rob Weston
Autobahn Motors
180 Bullock Drive #6,
Markham, Ontario
905 472-5971

website

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rob Weston in Markham. He specializes in Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche and does good, honest work. He's been running his shop for 28 years.

Rob Weston
Autobahn Motors
180 Bullock Drive #6,
Markham, Ontario
905 472-5971

website
+1 for Rob. He is a great and honest guy. My father used to take the '86 Jetta TD to him all the time.

VillageIdiott

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI; 1999.5 Jetta GL TDI
Hey everyone.

Does anyone have any experience with any good mechanics in the Belleville/Kingston/Trenton area?

I would rather avoid dealerships if possible. I need my timing belt etc. replaced.

Thanks

VillageIdiott

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI; 1999.5 Jetta GL TDI
Thanks Yuri and Zapkat. I was in talking to the guys at Competition Motors today. They are certainly knowledgeable... gave me a price of 699+ tax for timing belt assembly replacement.

Is that good? Never had one replaced before.

Also, they use "micro" tuning... anyone ever heard of it. Out of Quebec somewhere I think he said. (ie. for CPU tuning)

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Thanks Yuri and Zapkat. I was in talking to the guys at Competition Motors today. They are certainly knowledgeable... gave me a price of 699+ tax for timing belt assembly replacement.

Is that good? Never had one replaced before.

Also, they use "micro" tuning... anyone ever heard of it. Out of Quebec somewhere I think he said. (ie. for CPU tuning)
I think that is a standard market price at the moment. Just double check what parts they are going to replace with that price. However, there are other shops or people that would do it for less with the same or better quality work. Shop around if you want.