Google Map Showing All TDI Relevant Locations in GTA

Uncas

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Google Map Showing All TDI Relevant Locations in Ontario

Hello All,

I thought it might be good to create a SHARED Google map and populate it with relevant TDI locations around GTA and rest of Ontario.

Here are some ideas what you can put into the map:

* TDI mechanics
* parts stores
* diesel gas stations
* dealerships
* proffesional cleaning shops
* etc...

I'm sure you can figure out other cool stuff to put into this map. I've just adde a single entry to the map, a Shell station selling diesel near my hosue. But, i've only had my TDI for 3 days so I expect you guys to add a LOT more stuff.

Below is the link to the map, and dont' be intimidated; its very easy to view and edit the map.

If YOU would like to edit the map, PM me and I will add you to the collaborators list. its that easy!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=118142269258065043731.00044c464c082bfb0e6b6&ll=43.901851,-79.52179&spn=1.377375,3.625488&z=9

Last edited:

Uncas

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Instructions on how to use the map:

1. Follow the above link

2. Once you can see the map, click on EDIT button located on middle-left on your screen (to the right of "collaborate" text)

3. After clicking EDIT, you shouls see 4 icons appar on TOP-LEFT corner of the MAP, not your browser sceen.
- use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out of the map. You can also click and drag the map with your mouse.
- you can either look at the blue placemarks people have already posted, or you can add your own placemark by selecting the PLACEMARK icon with your mouse.
- once you add a placemark, you can click on it to give it a title and description

Its very easy, though It can be a bit confuing if you've neve used Google Maps.

Redlinedave: hope that helps

Silver02TDI: great, thanks for getting the ball rolling

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Pretty klunky interface... perhaps on account of my using an ancient computer...

Since I was looking at Owasco (in anticipation of tomorrow's open house), I added the Princess Auto location nearby...

(also added Variety Tools on Jane Street...)

Yuri.

Last edited:

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
That's cool, but I have no "edit" feature thaat I can see. Do you need a gmail account to edit the map?

Frenzyk

TDI
'14 Golf Sportwagen
I added a few more Sunoco stations and one shell station. Great idea, now if I could add the Navi unit to my golf and somehow download all the info....

Uncas

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Toby said:
That's cool, but I have no "edit" feature thaat I can see. Do you need a gmail account to edit the map?
Hey Toby,

Are you sure there is no Edit on middle left of your screen? I though that you didn't need to have a Gmail account to edit the map, but come to think of it, you might have to. Anybody know for sure?

Good job everyone, keep 'em coming.

Tom|moTD'oh

TDI
2000 Golf TDI auto -- 255,000km
To see the EDIT button you have to be at the very very top of the list of locations on the left -- and if you've clicked on a location on the map then the list has moved there as well.

Just push the navigation slider to the top and the EDIT button is there (though I do have a Google account, too, so I can't confirm you don't need one.)

Neat feature -- good job.

Toby said:

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Tom|moTD'oh said:
To see the EDIT button you have to be at the very very top of the list of locations on the left -- and if you've clicked on a location on the map then the list has moved there as well.

Just push the navigation slider to the top and the EDIT button is there (though I do have a Google account, too, so I can't confirm you don't need one.)

Neat feature -- good job.
I too did not see a "edit" button until I signed in.

Added a few shell stations

Last edited:

Uncas

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Golfik said:
I added 3 stations in the mississauga area

I vote for Sticky:D
Golfik, thanks for Mississauga stations. Nice to know I have some diesel options close to my house.

Golfik

Veteran Member
TDI
Golfik
Uncas said:
Golfik, thanks for Mississauga stations. Nice to know I have some diesel options close to my house.
they are the closest to my house that i can think of right now,

where are you at?

Friar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5spd
You MUST have a Google Acct

I've discovered that you MUST have a Google Acc't for this to work.
In my attempts I've accidentally added two placemarks #55, #56 which I think I've deleted, if not would the originator please delete them for me?

Nonetheless, a GREAT idea... thanks for this

Alan

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Anyone know if there is a way to organize the content, and change the colours of the markers? Would be nice if there could be one colour for gas stations, one for dealerships, one for shops, one for mechanics, etc.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
It would be nice of the creater would set the default zoomed out and centralized a little hehe

I don't think you can colour code...

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
How come I am not able to click the pins on this map and see the relevant data? I have another shared map which does not have this problem.

That is, if I want to check what is close to myself, it is convenient to go to my area on the map and start clicking pins on the map itself in the local area to see what they are. But when I do that, I get no information on the pin. To get that, you have to click the pins/titles in the frame on the left which still means you don't know what you're gonna get on each click.

I was just wondering if anyone with some experience on these maps knew what was going on. What is different between this one and the other shared map I have been viewing?

EDIT: Seems now it is working for me. Perhaps my browser was just being stupid or something...

Last edited: