Ontario FAQ

sundancekid

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
For those looking for VW 505.00, 505.01, 502.00, 504.00, 507.00 Synthetic Oil I found a brand which is VW approved. You can buy manufacturer direct from Total.

Total Quartz Ineo 5W30MC3 - Minimum purchase quantities of either 3, 5 Litre jugs or 18, 1 Litre bottles. Pricing is about $8.21/L. This works out to be $147.48 (+ tax) for the 1L bottles or $123.15 (+tax) for the three 5L jugs.

As noted in the document below, this oil is approved by VW for TDI engines.
http://www.fruitlands.net/tdi/vw_oil_dec_2007.pdf - VW Service Bulletin (Circular) VWA-07-27

For those in Toronto or Greater Toronto Area use this contact info to buy the oil.

Total Lubricants
1750 Plummer St. Unit 16
Pickering, ON.
L1W 3L7

Phone:
647-239-9569

(1st south of 401 off Brock Bd.)

If you are not in the Toronto area you can call the Canadian office located in Quebec, their staff seem to be friendly and they will tell you the closest location to buy the oil and help you select the grade appropriate for your vehicle. Phone: Total Canada 1-800-463-3955 or visit the USA website here: Total Canada - http://www.total-lubrifiants.ca Total USA - http://www.total-us.com

Candian Office

Address: 220, LaFleur
Lasalle, QC,
H8R 4C9
Phone: 514-595-7579
Fax: 514-367-5767

I hope this helps other TDI owners I know I had a hell'uva time locating a 505 spec oil due to limited availability of some USA only brands.

By sdk2008 at 2009-06-05

trooper

TDI
1998 jetta tdi , 1998 rover disco
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI said:
Anyone heard of Amin @ Salims Auto repair?
They seem to work on TDI's and sell some too in downtown Toronto.
I'm new to the forum, and may not know much about TDI's yet, but I was just there the other day ( Queen st. location( father ), not the Eastern ave ( son) location),and the old guy insisted that my black smoke issue was the injection pump. Everyone else on this forum is telling me that it's a tune-up issue.
He told me that rebuilding the pump was $600 and a brand new Bosch was $800. plus $200 install. I was thinking that the price was a bit too good, as the quotes I was getting were over $700 for a rebuilt, and a new one not even available.
Again, I'm a newbie, so I may be completely wrong, but when the answers come without even opening the hood, and the prices seen too good to be true...well, you decide.
BTW seems to be a tune-up issue.

trooper

TDI
trooper said:
I'm new to the forum, and may not know much about TDI's yet, but I was just there the other day ( Queen st. location( father ), not the Eastern ave ( son) location),and the old guy insisted that my black smoke issue was the injection pump. Everyone else on this forum is telling me that it's a tune-up issue.
He told me that rebuilding the pump was $600 and a brand new Bosch was $800. plus $200 install. I was thinking that the price was a bit too good, as the quotes I was getting were over $700 for a rebuilt, and a new one not even available.
Again, I'm a newbie, so I may be completely wrong, but when the answers come without even opening the hood, and the prices seen too good to be true...well, you decide.
BTW seems to be a tune-up issue.
Just went to see Amin on Eastern, and he was much better that his father. I'd go see him again.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
Amin is a good guy, really knows these cars in & out. We actually bought a gas 2 litre jetta from him. Gave us a 2 year power train warranty and a 30 bumper to bumper warranty and so far, the car is impeccable !

Zozep

TDI
2000 01M
Please keep in mind this is my personal opinion.

Peter Lang
RAM auto
240 Brock St
Peterborough, ON K9H 2P7
(705) 748-5291

I've been living in Ptbo for several years and dealt with the few VW shops around, definately steer clear of Schnell's...the guy is a hack.
As for Ram...these guys take the work that other shops don't want. They know their imports and get the job done right the first time.

Last edited:

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
Mississauga-Dude said:
The Audi VW Shop and Parts (1160 Crestlawn Drive, Unit 8, 905.624.9007, mississauga --near eglinton/dixie). One-mechanic/owner, $70/hour. Fair diagnostics, knows repair very well, explains and doesn't mind showing procedure, only recommends what's necessary.
Great work, they own about 4 mk3 td's at the moment :D, 1 passat td (for sale), 1 audi 5000 5cyl td, one mk4 tdi for parts.

Very good service.
:eek:

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
VDUB TECH said:
anyone need repairs give me a shout i work at vdub dealer in toronto cheap rates fix it the first time........
This is Brandon, and he's now got his own shop in the 400/Finch area. I'm surprised no one has listed him on here yet. Very highly regarded in this forum, and my (limited) dealings with him have been great. He did a pre-purchase inspection on my Golf, and its first "catch-up" maintenance for a very reasonable rate and with every item explained and all questions (no matter how noobish) answered. Plus, he gives you a loaner.

Here's his info:

DCB Auto Repairs-Volkswagen-Audi
141 Oakdale Rd
North York, ON M3N 1W2
(416) 747-0400

waguy01

TDI
Golf
Found Brandon at DCB on this site. Had my TB done by him yesterday. Very satisfied with his work and how knowledgeable he is. I'll be back...

Last edited:

woofster

TDI
TDI
Great thread! I was just thinking about service shops that know not only how to work on diesel engines, but ones that are familiar with VWs as well.

It'd be great if more GTA TDI'ers can chime in, mention which shop they bring their TDI to and any more comments that they can share. It would be a great service to all of us new to the TDI world!

:cool:

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
Repair garage suggestion near downtown Toronto

Our '02 TDI is starting to develop a bit of a wobble felt through the steering wheel and the seat on hard acceleration. I'm thinking that at close to 160k kms we're probably getting close to having CV joint replacement in our future.

We've always had the car serviced at Don Valley VW, but think maybe it's a good time given the age of the car to go elsewhere.

I've read the reviews and suggestions posted here, but not sure if they are still current.

Would the concensus be to avoid Peter's VW?

Any other good garages that could be trusted for this type of repair?

Thanks!

momin

TDI
thinking of getting a 2000
how to find a tdi

Hi, this is my first post, been visiting the forum for sometime. Thinking of buying a tdi but after reading the posts, my understanding is, cars without maintenance history can be dangerous! and to get them check by someone like Brandon.
Any advices on how to find the right tdi for the right price will be appreciated.

trooper

TDI
Misc.

Still highly recommend Amin@salim's auto repair on Eastern ave. I've been taking my jetta tdi and Benz e300 turbo diesel to him for a while now, and the only issue is that he is usually really busy... But that unto itself is a good thing.
As for the obd2 code reader, try Princess Auto. You can usually get one for under a hundred bucks and 50 bones when on sale.
As for what to look for in a car, take it to someone that knows a thing or two about the car you're interested in... Especially a tdi.
The blocks seem bulletproof , but turbo's, IP's, suspension and driveline issues can cost a lot.
And lift the cars and check the rockers and floor for rot.
A.J.

Kibbs

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL
Found Brandon at DCB on this site. Had my TB done by him yesterday. Very satisfied with his work and how knowledgeable he is. I'll be back...

Can you tell me the cost for a TB change either with DCB or others? Just bought a 2000 with 311K and I cannot determine the last change but know it was > 50K

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Timing belt change is usually in the $600-900 range, depending on what parts you replace. On your car, I would spend a little extra up front to install the "long life" kit. The later years of your model had a longer life rated timing belt (more km between changes) and costs like $50 extra. Always be sure that whoever does the job changes the water pump. In their infinite wisdom, VW decided to design the engine so that if the water pump seizes, it can wreak havoc on the timing belt, potentially creating a large paper-weight from your engine.

Kibbs

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL
Thanks will look through the suggested technicians here and see if I can find one close.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Hey all, I have a quick question about pricing, I'm new to this whole TDI business and I want to know the general price range that used TDI's go for. I know they are more expensive then regular gas cars and that the engines can go up to 500,000+km, but that doesn't mean the suspension and such can go the same, I would assume the car is built the same minus the engine and a few other components. Anyhow, I was wondering what I should be looking at for a jetta/golf, lowest trim, 5 speed, 2000-2003, and at around 120,000 to 180,000km. Thanks for the advice.

golfmyster

TDI
2010 Golf 4dr 6spd Black
Here is a very experienced garage in the ottawa valley. The owner has worked on vw's for over 30yrs.

Woody's Motor Vehicle Repair
Hwy 17W, Haley Station, ON
K0J 1Y0
613 432 9268

Some mbrs on here from this region have probably heard of him already.

Chris_C

+1 for Total Mechanical Services. Johnny is a good honest guy who actually cares. It's worth the drive to Orangeville.

Tyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI PD BEW
Hello, found this site, thought you all might be interested.
I priced out a intercooler here in Ptbo, around $400-450, with no sensor. Same intercooler from this site, from the USA to Canada including shipping was $88.

http://www.hanscarparts.com

Anybody deal with site? Pros/Cons ?

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hello, found this site, thought you all might be interested.
I priced out a intercooler here in Ptbo, around $400-450, with no sensor. Same intercooler from this site, from the USA to Canada including shipping was $88.

http://www.hanscarparts.com

Anybody deal with site? Pros/Cons ?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=310624

His name is Prothe, goes by many others as well. He sells cheap Chinese knockoff parts trying to
pass them off as OE or OEM. Legendary on the TDI club.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
just an FYI, i've order parts from autopartsway.ca for the jetta. Mainly filters. But there we're all MANN filters. Price was decent too.

Won't help me now with the truck.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'm biased as hell cause its my local parts store, but SALE auto in Stouffville is the best parts store I have ever been to. I work on my family cars and thus don't give them too much business, but because I go to them for my business over places like C tire and NAPA they respond by treating me better than chains would. The owner has stayed late to ensure someone was there to get me my parts, his guys have dropped off parts at my house, hell one time his guy did my cabin filter, they use auto-camping so OEM products isn't a problem, and if you like after market goods, they can get a wide variety of brands. Highly recommend these guys, local shops will always have my money over online retailers and big box stores.

SALE Automotive
100 Ringwood Dr #4
Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON
L4A 1A9

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I have not needed a shop Yet for any major work on my 2012 TDI Yes its been that reliable.! but its great to see all the listed shops near me though. as far as buying Oil & Filter i buy it at A&A discount auto parts in hamilton 5 liter jug of Synthetic Liqui Moly 5w30 top tec 507.00 Spec Oil, & a Mann Oil filter both made in Germany for $78.00 taxes in. not a bad deal. i dont bother with Napa there prices around my area are too high cost wise.