So, it finally happened to me

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Long drive from Manitoulin through Sudbury to Sprucedale and home to Grand Valley. Stopped in North Bay on the reservation for cheap fuel, and I was surprised when I got out of the car there was an attendant ready to fuel up the old bomb. I was only topping up the tank, had about 375km on it, so was under 20L I believe, but I think he put regular gas in my tank. I got a burger at McDonald's in North Bay, and suddenly my engine temp was redlined. It has never done that before at idle. I poured half a 2L bottle of diesel clean in the tank, as soon as I started driving again, the temp went down. Going to top it up again on the way home in Gravenhurst, should I think about putting some dino oil in the tank a la 10w30?
Also, how do I approach the offending gas station? I have 2 video cameras recording front and back of the car, they also record audio, will have to protect the times I was there just in case.
Edit, made it home ok, had no choice really as I had $350 worth of fresh blueberries in the car that wouldn't have lasted the night before spoiling. Topped up again in Barrie.
One thing that I did notice was the engine had a ton more power, which would make sense as it has more energy than diesel.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well all I can tell you is that you're lucky in as far as "Only topping off".

I was down to about 1/4 tank somewhere in the wilds of Arkansas and I wasn't watching what the attendant put in. Drove about 30 km and the engine just quit on me. Just would not run or start anymore. That was in my former Jetta. I feel my religiously adding PowerService, DieselKleen and an ounce of 2 stroke oil to every fill saved the engine. I had added that just a few minutes before filling up. Had to be towed and then the fuel tank totally emptied of "gas".

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Interesting side effect of the little bit of gas! :) How much is $350 worth of blueberries? Was the car completely full with them?

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Gasoline decreases your power as it is very low in cetane. Sounds more like your fans quit on you.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
I’d check if the fan fuses melted in the fuse box on top of the battery, it’s a common problem. Last time my car randomly started climbing temps the terminal in the box was melted, and the blade was ripped off the fuse. I was able to jam a new fuse in there temporarily, but ordered a new box and changed it ASAP.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Late to the party...

It's not uncommon in the dead of winter for trucks to "cut" diesel with up to 25% gasoline in order to aid starting.

Not the best in summer time, but should not have contributed to overheating - rough idle maybe.

That tank (and I have personal experience with that tank) exactly 64L dead empty, so if you filled 20L gas, that was a little over 30% - not fatal.

As above, I would look into the fans.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Thanks all, car is running fine, but has so many non critical issues, I may replace it this fall. I still haven't figured out why the ignition doesn't work when it is cold outside, I just don't want to pour a lot of money and time into it if it's not worth it.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Had a fender bender a month ago, not at fault and not terrible damage. Had an appraiser come to the house even though the car was driveable. She hit me right at the junction of the drivers door and fender. Had a replacement door too, but they are writing the car off and gave me a very decent cheque.
Picked up a 2003 golf with a great body, needing a clutch, TB and odds and ends, started on the clutch today. This one should last me 3 or 4 years easily. They had spent quite a pile on it before the clutch went, one of the better cars I've bought. Old blue Jetta made it to 505k km, sad to see it go.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
NOOooOOOoOOOooooO! :D

You should try and get the ECU out of it - chipped it has to be worth something to someone with a 99.5

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Yes, I hope to have until Friday to get it out, I think I picked up an ecu from a 98 beetle that will still allow it to run, so if anyone wants a chipped ecu for a 99.5 let me know. Adam, do you remember if it was a unitronic and what stage tune it would have been? Also going to swap out the injectors with my new car. Have a ton of work to do.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What would happen if you pull the ECU and don't put anything in there? The car will be towed so will they ever care?

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I signed a contract with the insurance company that I would give the entire car over, but that's not stopping me from swapping all the good parts out for much more worn out ones.