TDI Gotchas

N3tT3chMan

TDI
None Yet
Hey Guys new to the forum looking to potentially pick up a 2011-12 TDI and was wondering if there were any gotchas I need to look out for. I bought a GMC with AFM and had to rebuild the engine after 6 months of owning it. I dont want to run into anything like that again. Thanks in advance

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Turbochargers.

DPFs.

Pressure sensors (one for the EGR, one for the DPF).

Cylinder pressure sensors (part of the glow plug).

Engine harness.

Intake manifold.

Those are the most common ones I run across.

Lots of reports of failed HPFPs, too, but I have only ever seen a handful of those.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, the "Chuck Norris" of the TDI world is the ALH engine, bolted to the manual transmission... ideally 2000-2003 but the '98 and '99 cars are mostly pretty good, just a few things got improved for the 2000 model year.

That said, the lion's share of the newer cars I service, the ones that are left, are mostly fine. Just not as tough as the older ones. The refinement of the newer cars, the engine in particular, is pretty astounding. So quiet, so smooth, so powerful, yet stiff very efficient and very clean. Almost makes you think they shouldn't even be legal...

Last edited:

N3tT3chMan

TDI
None Yet
What is the code for the 2011 engine? Unfortunately i don't think there will be many 2000-2003's that don't have half a million miles on them by now

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
What is the code for the 2011 engine? Unfortunately i don't think there will be many 2000-2003's that don't have half a million miles on them by now
2009 TDIs were CBEA and 2010-2014 Jetta and Golf TDIs were CJAA engine codes (in North America).

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

TDI
All the A3 TDIs are CBEA up through 2014, too. And the Beetle was CJAA through 2014.

You should note too that starting in 2011, the Jetta sedan was no longer a Golf with a trunk. It became its own decontented model. Engine/trans are the same, but the rest of the car is not. Which is why the base price dropped about $7k from 2010 to 2011. Not to say a 2011+ Jetta TDI sedan is a bad car, it isn't.... but just remember it is a base entry level car with a very expensive engine. At least with the Golf and Jetta wagon you got the rest of the fancy car too. :p

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
All the A3 TDIs are CBEA up through 2014, too. And the Beetle was CJAA through 2014.
You should note too that starting in 2011, the Jetta sedan was no longer a Golf with a trunk. It became its own decontented model. Engine/trans are the same, but the rest of the car is not. Which is why the base price dropped about $7k from 2010 to 2011. Not to say a 2011+ Jetta TDI sedan is a bad car, it isn't.... but just remember it is a base entry level car with a very expensive engine. At least with the Golf and Jetta wagon you got the rest of the fancy car too. :p
Ahhh...Interesting. I was wondering what happened there with that separation of the timeline. Can you elaborate a bit?

oilhammer

TDI
Elaborate one what? The NCS Jetta? Volkswagen wanted to cater to the American buyer, so things like the NCS Jetta, NMS Passat, and now the Atlas, are here. Same thing Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. learned long ago. Many Americans like big and cheap. It worked. Sales went up, and despite Dieselgate, have done reasonably well here. The Atlas is new, but I bet it outsells the Touareg it replaces by a wide margin. It follows the same mantra: bigger, cheaper, lighter, and [primarily] built by us for us.

Last edited:

N3tT3chMan

TDI
None Yet
I looked for an older 2000-2003 and cant find one within 200 miles. The Audi A3's are out of my price range. Would you recommend one of the CJAA golfs if it was a CPO and i deleted it right after the warranty ran up? Or are they all pretty much going to have issues with DPF/HPFP? I looked into the HPFP and those guys are not cheap

oilhammer

TDI
I specialize in these cars, so I see a lot of things that others may not see. Our shop works on pretty much anything, so we also see things on other cars. I could give some pretty nasty horror stories about a lot of things. Maybe enough to make someone want to ride a bike!

I think a CJAA Golf would be a great car, and I would have no problem with one BUT I would be going into it with eyes wide open. I also have other [older] cars to fall back on, should the need arise.

The "fixed" cars have a pretty generous warranty, however we've already seen some issues with this. From sub-par work being performed on the fix itself, to side effects of the fix and/or warranty resolution reluctance on Volkswagen's part to make good on it. While this attitude is nothing new to Volkswagen, and perhaps in a broader sense nothing new to the German brands sold here anyway, it may become an issue for someone not used to it as well as not having a solid plan B.

So would I buy one? Absolutely. Would I be pissed if something expensive broke? Yes. Would I be happy if my car sat at a dealer lot for weeks on end while they argued over coverage of something that broke? Nope. But I would have something else to drive in the mean time, so I could deal with it. Not everyone has this option.

The deletes, which sucks to even have to think about doing, seems to be the only 100% surefire way to eliminate much of the fragile nature of an otherwise fantastic package. It pains me to think this way, it really does. I hate stinky, smelly, smoky diesels. Detest them. But I hate multi-thousand dollar potential failure items hanging over my head even more.

I would, however, attempt to keep everything intact during the warranty period.

N3tT3chMan

TDI
None Yet
Thanks for all the great information oilhammer! I think I might give it a shot. But first I must replace the engine in my TrailBlazer. It just seized up two nights ago. Pretty sure the oil pump went out

oilhammer

TDI
4L60E died? No way! LMAO! At least they are generally pretty easy to R&R. We have done loads (literally, probably several box cars' worth) of those here over the years. Now we are doing the 6LxxE transmissions. Some things never change.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
FWIW, I bought my 2010 Jetta sedan (CJAA) with 7300miles in June of 2011.
Fix done at ~167k last year.
Currently at ~189k.
All stock.

Tires and regular scheduled maintenance.
Brakes/fluid @ 100k.
Shocks/struts/springs @ 175k.
Leaky sunroof drain issue last month. Fixed that.

Pre-fix regularly got tanks that ranged 38-42mpg
Post-fix I’m seeing 32-36mpg per tank.
But I’m running 18” Charleston wheels - most people get better than that.

That’s my mileage.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
All the A3 TDIs are CBEA up through 2014, too.
I always wondered about this. Did Audi consider the CBEA to be a more "refined" engine because of the balance shaft? I never understood why VW changed the design and Audi did not. Perhaps they thought it was quieter or smoother or whatever. I've never noticed any real difference between them when driving. However, if I was looking to buy one I would prefer the CJAA simply because it doesn't have the hex shaft issue.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

TDI
No idea. The A3 also got a goofy fuel filter, too, that is specific to just those (for us, anyway).