Drive Clean - done

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
In theory I believe older cars should be tested. I do like the increased emphasis on trucks that is planned in its place (if they follow through).

I think the Liberals should have just left Drive CLean alone. The change they made last year - that the government pays for it rather than the consumer, which means the consumer will just pay higher licensing fees - was a bonehead move in my opinion. Of course given that it was now a pure direct government cost meant that the Conservatives would axe it. No surprise there.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
shouldve been ended long time ago

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
When BC dropped their AirCare program a couple years ago, I knew the writing was on the wall for Ontario.

Bi Annual vehicle safety inspections would be more prudent IMHO.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I figured it would get dropped shortly after they increased the annual licensing fee to cover the cost of the "free" test. Bastards, not like they're going to lower the fees back down!

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
just like he just said, don't expect them to drop the licensing fees back. someone has to pay for the 'buck a beer' programme. :-D

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
When BC dropped their AirCare program a couple years ago, I knew the writing was on the wall for Ontario.
Bi Annual vehicle safety inspections would be more prudent IMHO.
Please never run for politics! That would drive me bonkers.. a regular safety check after the updated changes a few years ago is nearly $200 alone at most places.

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
It was a joke anyway. If you had a CEL for something totally unrelated to emissions your car failed. One less day I have to waste getting it done for my cars.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Please never run for politics! That would drive me bonkers.. a regular safety check after the updated changes a few years ago is nearly $200 alone at most places.
There are plenty of clapped out clunkers running around the roads. Bad brake lines, bald tires, rotten exhaust systems, etc. You buy a car new and if it never changes ownership you never -legally- have to have the car inspected ever! haha. Bogus. My background comes from the commercial world, more specifically the school bus industry. Those are carrying valuable cargo. :D They get safetied every 6 months. For regular passenger vehicles a bi-annual inspection that is actually valid for 24 months regardless of # of ownership changes would be far more beneficial than the DC program ever was. Think TUV inspections, the MVI program in the maritimes, etc.

Suits me fine, I have 6 cars to do.
I have multiple cars as well.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
There are plenty of clapped out clunkers running around the roads. Bad brake lines, bald tires, rotten exhaust systems, etc. You buy a car new and if it never changes ownership you never -legally- have to have the car inspected ever! haha. Bogus. My background comes from the commercial world, more specifically the school bus industry. Those are carrying valuable cargo. :D They get safetied every 6 months. For regular passenger vehicles a bi-annual inspection that is actually valid for 24 months regardless of # of ownership changes would be far more beneficial than the DC program ever was. Think TUV inspections, the MVI program in the maritimes, etc.
I have multiple cars as well.
yeah no thanks that just gives shady mechanics more opportunities to rip people off. experienced that with "drive clean" way back in the day when they sniffed the tail pipe. actually the reason I started trying to understand/work on my own cars. before under the hood was like a black box when I first started driving.

I mean I've driven by plenty of accident scenes and I can't recall a situation where I seen an absolute beater looking car involved. Usually newer model cars to be honest. When you think about it a person driving an older car may or may not have limited funds and is probably looking to preserve their car and try to get as much out of it as possible.

Anyway maybe I lean more to the libertarian side but I'd prefer the government to piss off.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
My Treg passed, as I need to pass for my sticker. And as I drop away, i got the DPF warning BS i've been dealing with. Good thing I just passed my emission test.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Crap.

Check engine light came on last week.... Glow plug module malfunction on my brm jetta...

Should have got a drive clean done 2 weeks ago. I need a sticker in February 2019...

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Crap.

Check engine light came on last week.... Glow plug module malfunction on my brm jetta...

Should have got a drive clean done 2 weeks ago. I need a sticker in February 2019...

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
That's something you're going to want to correct before serious cold weather hits anyhow.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
The e test gone in April so Ford says but my understanding through my source, is in it's place we will require having a mechanical safety done every 2 years on all vehicles.
Weather that is all vehicles after 2 years old or after they are 7 years old and every 2 after. They will also have a test platform to run vehicles over to test vehicles suspension too, which will be part of the mechanical safety.
I believe very good idea to get all the unsafe vehicles off the road.
Time will tell as we see in April next year.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Who are your sources?
Unsafe is a matter or opinion. Once in a blue moon I hear collisions caused by unsafe vehicle but that's pretty much insignificant if you look at the total number of collisions caused by everything else.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Is there still a charge for having a test done? Reason i ask, is my father-in-law just went in to complete a test in order to have his plates renewed and the shop did it for free. Has anyone else experienced this?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Is there still a charge for having a test done? Reason i ask, is my father-in-law just went in to complete a test in order to have his plates renewed and the shop did it for free. Has anyone else experienced this?
They stopped charging for it yes, but increased your sticker price by $40/year! Now you pay $80 extra per 2 years but get a free $35 test. Oh wait, now that it's government sponsored they're cutting it out! I want my $40/year x 6 cars back please.....