2014 Jetta TDI 23 mpgs?

DennisATX

TDI
2014 Jetta
Got this car for my gf to drive around because I love the vw tdis. I noticed the other day when I was driving it that the mpg indicator was only showing 23mpgs. I know she only has a short commute to work (2 miles) so the engine doesn't even have time to warm up, but that still seems very low to me. Especially considering I get about 15 mpgs in my 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck. Anyone else experience the same?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Got this car for my gf to drive around because I love the vw tdis. I noticed the other day when I was driving it that the mpg indicator was only showing 23mpgs. I know she only has a short commute to work (2 miles) so the engine doesn't even have time to warm up, but that still seems very low to me. Especially considering I get about 15 mpgs in my 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck. Anyone else experience the same?
Don't pay any attention to the MFD if you are only driving a couple of miles it doesn't even have time or distance traveled to figure a real value with a couple of minutes driving time. You have to do a calculated tank average. Same for your fuel sucking pick up.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.....plus - if you check your vehicle against similar TDI user reports on Fuelly.com - you will have something positive to anticipate (IMHO).

Good car Great engine Miserable fuel system design

ez

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What is the tank average or even multiple tank averages? They matter more than the mfd. When I was short tripping 32 to 36 was about right.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's about right for a 2 mile trip. It takes several miles for the engine to get warmed up and be at its top efficiency. Stop and go during that two miles makes the problem even worse, since a significant amount of your brief journey is spent idling or accelerating.

In addition to the low fuel economy, you're going to run into problems with incomplete DPF regenerations if you don't take the car on a longer trip (at least 15 miles) once a week.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the car uses extra fuel when it starts to get the emissions equipment up to operating temperature (including the engine)

two miles is not enough to get there.

low 20s for mpg for a start from cold, two mile trip is about right.

on my trip to work, about ten miles, mixed city/freeway/traffic I get up to around 30, give or take a few.

if she does not drive more that that, she will see a DPF lamp lit, which means go for a nice longer drive to let the DPF go into and complete an active regeneration.

ignoring this dpf light, or any warning lamp on the instrument panel, when it comes can be an expensive proposition.

Last edited: