www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old January 12th, 2018, 15:04   #1
gene r
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg average since new
Default Received Tesla Model 3, gave back TDI to VW

Well, I received my Tesla Model 3 about 3 weeks ago. It is impossible to even describe how awesome this car is. I already have a Model S for 5 years with 80,000 miles and many long road trips, so I know very well how incredible Tesla's are. But the Model 3 at the same price range as your average sedan these days, is a game changer. It makes everything else, TDI included look and feel like a dinosaur. It's a good thing VW has been forced to make the move to EV's, it really is their only chance to survive. I certainly hope VW starts to actually produce some new EV products rather than endless claims of future EV's with still only the e-Golf to show.

I just sold back my TDI to VW, sure feels good to be rid of that albatross.
Old January 12th, 2018, 15:42   #2
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene r View Post
Well, I received my Tesla Model 3 about 3 weeks ago. It is impossible to even describe how awesome this car is. I already have a Model S for 5 years with 80,000 miles and many long road trips, so I know very well how incredible Tesla's are. But the Model 3 at the same price range as your average sedan these days, is a game changer. It makes everything else, TDI included look and feel like a dinosaur. It's a good thing VW has been forced to make the move to EV's, it really is their only chance to survive. I certainly hope VW starts to actually produce some new EV products rather than endless claims of future EV's with still only the e-Golf to show.

That's AWESOME. Congratulations! I'm guessing day 1 reservation holder & CA resident?
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 15:48   #3
gene r
Veteran Member

1st day reservation, California resident, and early Model S owner.
Old January 12th, 2018, 16:18   #4
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Sweet, photos please!
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 16:25   #5
gene r
Veteran Member

I can't seem to find a way to insert photos.
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:53   #6
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

Default Land of the Lost

[QUOTE=gene r;5369946] It makes everything else, TDI included look and feel like a dinosaur. QUOTE]

Wish you luck with the Tesla.

Me, where I live Dinosaurs are top of the food chain.

Perhaps I will live to see the day when there is a Tesla in my neighborhood.
Oberkanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:23   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Pics added using instructions in my signature.
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:15   #8
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Isn't there a forum someplace for these people?
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:17   #9
compu_85
Gadget Guy

"these people"

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:18   #10
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Seems like this one is appropriate. This is certainly not a VW.

"General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in."
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:22   #11
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

When they can travel 1,000 miles before a 'fillup', I'll take notice. Until then they don't suit my needs.
Abacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 21:54   #12
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene r View Post
I wonder why one might make a comment like this on a vw tdi forum. It would be like me going to the Tesla forum and making a similar comment. Yes there is a forum for “these people”.

Personally I like the tdi, I can do all my own maintenance, I don’t need to call the dealer or mobile mechanic. I’m wondering what the maintenance costs are on a Tesla once the warranty runs out. If you can afford a Tesla that really shouldn’t be a problem.

Has a Tesla owner ever preformed his own maintenance or is that not allowed by the company? If so wouldn’t that mean that Tesla still owns the car?

I perused the Tesla forum and most seem well satisfied with their car, however I didn’t see anyone offering help with any issues the cars might have other than “take it to the dealer.”. Even the people with multiple dealer visits still love their Tesla despite actually being able to drive it very little.

They are mostly all busy patting each other on the back telling one another how smart they were to make the switch from the hated world ending ICE vehicles. Extolling the virtues of Musk, a genius in their estimation who will by himself save the world. The worship is almost cult like.

Like those of us here with our diesels they love their all electric, cutting edge technology cars.

I don’t know whether Tesla will survive my thought is it will probably be folded into a major car company like Jeep was, and will continue as part of some manufacturers lineup. Possibly even a Chinese company that will gain access with an established cult like brand to world markets.

Several times this summer I went over 800 miles on a single fill up. A single 10 minute fill up. I used to think when electric vehicles reached the 300 mile mark that would be a milestone. The more I’ve thought about it almost any big old land boat with a 20 gallon tank goes that far on a 10 minute fill up.

Abacus may be exactly right, give me more range than my tdi on less money and a similar fill up time and maybe I’ll take notice, and even then I might still ignor it since it’s doubtful I’ll be able to do the maintenance without a degree in electrical engineering. Besides I don’t want self driving and it probably doesn’t come with a stick.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 22:17   #13
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
I wonder why one might make a comment like this on a vw tdi forum. It would be like me going to the Tesla forum and making a similar comment.
When someone trades in their Tesla for a TDI I honestly look forward to hearing from them on the Tesla forum. If they can make a compelling case for why the TDI is better than their Tesla perhaps I'll do the same.

My Tesla could have a 70 mile range and ~95% of the time I wouldn't notice and your average driver wouldn't either... aside from the fact that their car oddly always has a 'full tank' when they leave home.

I drove my TDI 860 miles on a tank once didn't do me any good over the Tesla since combining stops for lunch and breaks plus the fact I was doing ~55 I easily travel the same ~800 miles in the same amount of time. My trips from NM=>WA took ~3 days in my Jetta... and ~3 days in the Tesla.

Last edited by nwdiver; January 13th, 2018 at 22:23.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 08:52   #14
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Congratulations for the OP on getting the Model 3 and enjoying the overall driving experience.

It is somewhat perplexing to me that the TDI/light duty diesel technology has to 'compete' against the electrical vehicle and specifically the Tesla cars. To me it seems that they should complement each other until the battery technology advances enough to be a substitute.

If the TDI is a 'dinosaur' then I wonder what we make of the rest of the cars that Americans drive struggling to achieve a lifetime average of 20 MPG? It seems to me that, somehow, we live in two different worlds . One that sees that America is eager to buy electrical vehicles and save the environment and the other one that is doing the 'SUVisization' and 'truckturization' of America. Where do you see the trends pointing towards?

The Tesla Model 3 is not obviously a family car, meaning an SUV, that costs around $35K. But we have the new GM Equinox diesel that has the potential to be a family car achieving a lifetime in the upper 30's MPG. Now a family who chooses to buy an Equinox diesel vs the gasoline version or other non-diesel SUVs should be commended for their choice which I would consider far from being a 'dinosaur' choice but an excellent one for reducing the impact of their family car will have on the environment.

In my opinion EVs will gain a lot more momentum when fuel prices will hit our threshold pf pain.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 17:06   #15
Kabin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.4 mpg (best)

I almost put a deposit down on a model 3 but am glad I didn't. Production is too slow and I wouldn't have had a model 3 delivery for many years. Add to that, the cost is a bit crazy for a fully optioned model 3. Probably better getting a used model s.
Kabin is offline   Reply With Quote