"Key not in Range"

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
My wife went out to drive my JSW DSG 2011 43,000 miles. Her Element is in shop. The car would turn over but cut off and it says "key not in range" I tried with her key, same thing. She took our old 2004 Ford Taurus 215,000 miles and I came in pulled up this website and looked under FAQ's and it suggested I start with different key and when I used mine it started right away. Why ? Can anyone enlighten me ?

Page 37 of my handbook tells me what I think is a way to synchronize her key. Is this correct ? In short anyone else dealt with this ? thanks in advance.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
Sounds like it's probably an issue with the immobilizer, and since one key works and the other does not, it's probably just an issue with the one key. Maybe the RFID chip in the first key was damaged somehow. I assume the valet key is also working?

I don't have my book in front of me right now, but if I recall correctly, the synchronization instructions you are talking about are for operation of the buttons on the key. The buttons can stop working if the battery dies or if you press a button too many times while out of range. The immobilizer if not affected by the battery, that's why you can still unlock your car with a dead key and drive away.

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if VW dealers are the only place to get key fixed ? I am supposed to take car in Friday to Guru but if dealer is only place may just take it to dealer

wwwabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Is it KESSY? If so, the immobilizer is run by the battery in the key. Try a new battery in the key, or hold the key up to the lower right of the steering column where the key would go.

fffh28

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Had the same problem with my wife's 11' JSW. I disconnected the neg. terminal of the battery and the problem disappeared.

Hope that helps.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if VW dealers are the only place to get key fixed ? I am supposed to take car in Friday to Guru but if dealer is only place may just take it to dealer
From what I understand, only a dealer will be able to easily reprogram the immobilizer system to accept a new key (all keys have to be present when they do this). In theory you could do it with VCDS if you know the immobilizer Secret Key Code, but I guess you can only get that from an ECU hack. Apparently the dealer doesn't even see the code when they do the reprogramming, the computer hides it from them to increase security.

Looks like a new key (just the half with the flip key), cut to fit, is around $60 online and then whatever the dealer charges for programing.

Since its just the one key, I don't know how much disconnecting the cars battery, as someone mentioned, would help. As long as you have your radio code, it wouldn't hurt to try either. You could always swap the batteries in the two keys and see if that does anything too.

Is it KESSY?
... now that could make a difference.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Try the steps in the book first. If that works, your money ahead rather than paying the dealer to fix it.

It might be that when your wife puts the keys in her purse and something in there is pushing on the remote while out of range of the car. My wife has taken to hanging her keys on the outside of the purse or at a place that she can put them in the purse if necessary. At night, we both hang our keys on a hook in the kitchen.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Disconnecting and reconnecting your battery will not void a warranty. I am not sure why VW roadside assistance originally told you that this action would void it.

Glad you have it up and running. You still may want to investigate why you had this happen. 'Key not in range' means the small RFID chip in the key fob is not being seen by your immobilizer.

Autopilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta 5 spd Canyon Red, 2013 JSW 6MT
I have an A4 (2000) Jetta that has plagued me for a couple of years with an immobilizer problem. It happens randomly, about 3-4 times a year. I have tried everything...reprogrammed keys, new keys, disconnecting the battery. Nothing has eliminated the problem. But, it is so intermittent that the dealer cannot suggest anything else except to begin replacing things (from the sender in the steering column up to and including the main computer). The first few times it happened, I had the vehicle towed to the dealer. On each occasion, the car started up fine when they tried it, even though it would stubbornly refuse to run even if I tried it over the course of several days. Even if we tried replacing components, I would not know if there was a fix until some months later if the problem arises again.
The only thing that has worked when this happens is to turn the key to the on position and wait. The immobilizer system on that vehicle will give up in anywhere from 10 minutes to 60 minutes. When the problem is occurring, there is a dashboard light in the shape of the key that flashes, indicating the immobilizer system is preventing the car from running. (It starts, but the system shuts off the fuel pump after about 1-2 seconds). After the light stops blinking, the car will start like nothing happened. After that, you can shut it off and it will restart just fine. It will operator normally for months before it happens again. You have to wait until the light goes out. If you try starting before that happens, the wait just starts all over.

carboncow

TDI
97 passat
I have an A4 (2000) Jetta that has plagued me for a couple of years with an immobilizer problem. It happens randomly, about 3-4 times a year. I have tried everything...reprogrammed keys, new keys, disconnecting the battery.
Old post but good info here...

99% of the time these issues are solves with removal of the negative battery cable. Seems to jolt the system back into happiness. Similar issues on T2.

jyzhang

TDI
2010 Sportswagon
The only thing that has worked when this happens is to turn the key to the on position and wait.
I am having the same issue in the last couple of days. When you say "turn the key to the on position and wait", do you mean turn the key to the accessory position where the dash board light up and you can use radio etc.? Not to the start position and hold it there right?

Thanks.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
turn the key two clicks and wait.
key in=off
1 click=accessories
2 clicks=on - all power
3 clicks=engage starter

Then turn it the third click to start

jyzhang

TDI
2010 Sportswagon
Thank you very much. KJClow. I will definitely try the trick when it shows up next time.

As an update to the group, I took my 2010 JSW to my mechanics friend yesterday. He scanned the computer and only find a few intermittent error code with engine, transmission and radio.

His recommendation is, it is most likely is due to RFID chips in the key that I use everyday since I bought the vehicle. It is a passive device and don't need any battery. The battery is only for the remote.

I now have all my three keys with me all the time. If next time, the symptom comes up again, I will try different keys to see if it is due to the key, the reader, or software glitch.

Thanks again for everyone for sharing the VW TDI information here.

turn the key two clicks and wait.
key in=off
1 click=accessories
2 clicks=on - all power
3 clicks=engage starter

Then turn it the third click to start

jyzhang

TDI
2010 Sportswagon
Just wanted to update the team with a discovery that I found.

If I left the key in the "On" position for a couple of seconds, and then crank the engine. The key will register and everything will run fine.

If I just plug the key in and turn all the way to crank the engine, the key may not get registered, and at times I get the "Key not in Range" message and the engine was killed by the computer.

It may just have to do with the software update when they did the emission fix to the vehicle, or the key FOB signal got weak after years of use.

Give it a try if you get the same "Key not in range" error.

tdiGhia

I have had the "Key not in Range" issue on two vehicles. The first, a 2012 JSW went to the dealer (not in Maine) and had the Kombi replaced. This was a few years back and cost $800.

The second just occurred this week on a 2010 JSW that was getting ready to head in for the buy back. I tried disconnect the battery, discharging the positive lead to the frame. After reading kjclow's post I figured I would give it a try.

If the car was started it would run for 2 seconds and then stall. The mileage indicator would then show 'no key" So I turned the key off and back to the on position. In a couple of seconds the mileage indicator went from the current mileage to "no key" I waited about 5 mins and no change. I shut the key off and connected a battery charge as the DRLs were drawing down the battery a bit. I again turned the key to the on position and waited. After 10 mins no change BUT after 15 mins the "no key" went back to the current mileage. I turned the key to start and it ran fine. I have tried all keys and all seems good. With any luck it will make it back to the dealer Monday.

Thank you kjclow!

Have Fun,
BillA.