Did vw fix the issues with the tdi/dsg in the new passat?

2500hd2

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat se
Hi guys,
I am looking to replace my 06 tdi with something bigger and with less malfunctions.

Did vw address the dfp/dsg/hpfp issues with this model?

I hope they did because I might buy one.

Thanks.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Hi guys,
I am looking to replace my 06 tdi with something bigger and with less malfunctions.

Thanks.

I have to ask, you had a ton of issues with your A5 so you want to replace it and you're really willing to buy another 1st year VW? :eek:

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
Hi guys,

Thanks.
What issues?
DGS...I have had no problem with 82k miles on my 2009 JSW TDI. Serviced at 40k. VW had some issues that prompted a recall and to eliminate some fears of non-recalled cars they extended the warranty to 100k miles.

HPFP. Not sure one should be too concerned. The % of cars with this problem has been very low. I agree it has been a hardship for the owners who have had HPFP problem

DFP? Not sure what this is but I don't think I have it

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually a DPF...And yes, you do have it, time will tell how long they last.
The OP ask about the "DFP" (read the post) not the DPF.....Do you think the "Diesel Particulate Filter" should be a major worry for most TDI drivers, I understand that if a failure were to happen it should not happen before 380k-500k miles. I think that may be beyond the service life of the engine and car and maybe the driver/owner.
If some one would be so concerned about what might happen to a filter after 380k miles than they will never find a car to meet their standards

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
What issues?
I had nothing but driveability issues with my DSG and they were never eliminated.

I dropped by here to see if the newer ones were having as much discussion about those problems. I guess the current answer seems to be "we'll see."

Last edited:

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
I had nothing but driveability issues with my DSG and they were never eliminated.

I dropped by here to see if the newer ones were having as much discussion about those problems. I guess the current answer seems to be "we'll see."

You are having driveability problem with your 2009 VW? I have never had an issue with mine in 82k miles and my daughter has a 2010 with 15k miles and no concerns.
What are the drivabilty issues you were having?

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I read your post (most of it) with your problem. Has this happened more than once, has it happened when you were driving the car? All I can tell you is in 82k miles of driving my DGS TDI i have never experienced the problem your wife reported.
It looks like this may be an isolated situation, at least I did not see many chiming in with the same problem. Do you still have the car and are you still experiencing DGS problems?

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
Daily, with me driving. And a regional VW supervisor kept it 10 days, so I suspect he didn't consider it a phantom.

Perhaps you'd like to go back through the A5 forum history and see that on each page for months there has been at one thread to a "hesitation/stall" issue.

Its amazing how much discussion there has been about those complaints and yet, many want to act like the well acknowledged elephant in the room doesn't exist.

Lastly, for those lucky enough to not have it, congrats. But, if you gave me another car like the 2009 I just sold, I would not drive it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The OP ask about the "DFP" (read the post) not the DPF.....Do you think the "Diesel Particulate Filter" should be a major worry for most TDI drivers, I understand that if a failure were to happen it should not happen before 380k-500k miles. I think that may be beyond the service life of the engine and car and maybe the driver/owner.
If some one would be so concerned about what might happen to a filter after 380k miles than they will never find a car to meet their standards
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324067

The DPF does have a life span and it will "fail" before 380K miles requiring a replacement. The ash (not soot) does build up in the DPF and as of right now there is no method for cleaning this ash out, only option is to replace the DPF. Dealers are suposed to check ash load at 120K and ever 10K after that, replace as needed. My guess the DPF will fill up right around the same time the DMF is rattling like hell.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
The Passat has a slightly different fuel system design, eliminating the intermediate fuel pump and using different injectors. Whether this means it won't have HPFP issues is unclear.

For the record, my 2010 is having both fuel and DSG issues and I'm ready to swear off VWs completely.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324067

The DPF does have a life span and it will "fail" before 380K miles requiring a replacement. The ash (not soot) does build up in the DPF and as of right now there is no method for cleaning this ash out, only option is to replace the DPF. Dealers are supposed to check ash load at 120K and ever 10K after that, replace as needed. My guess the DPF will fill up right around the same time the DMF is rattling like hell.

I said nothing about ash vs soot issue but since you bring it up what is the difference and does it even make a difference. My comments were directed to those who would not consider buying a VW TDI because a component in the emissions system will most likely fail after and unknown but projected 300,000 plus miles. That thought process is foolish because after 300,000 mile there will be a whole lot of other things that will need replacing. Passenger pleasure vehicle are not designed to go three hundred thousand miles, too many systems to fail. Don't forget we are talking about cars priced in the mid $20's to low $30's not $100k commercial vehicles.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
I said nothing about ash vs soot issue but since you bring it up what is the difference and does it even make a difference. My comments were directed to those who would not consider buying a VW TDI because a component in the emissions system will most likely fail after and unknown but projected 300,000 plus miles. That thought process is foolish because after 300,000 mile there will be a whole lot of other things that will need replacing. Passenger pleasure vehicle are not designed to go three hundred thousand miles, too many systems to fail. Don't forget we are talking about cars priced in the mid $20's to low $30's not $100k commercial vehicles.
Wow you completely missed the point, you made a comment about the DPF lasting past 300k miles, yet VW says to start checking it at 120k miles for ash load. When its full replace- hence it's now failed, needs to be replaced, not making it to 300k miles.

If 120k is an indication of how long VW expects the DPF to last, you could be on your 2nd by 300k is the point.

"Passenger pleasure vehicle are not designed to go three hundred thousand miles" Actually used to be a reason to buy a TDI, not so much anymore.

Last edited:

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
No, I think you may have misinterpreted the intent of the notice. They want to inspect at 120k not replace at 120k. Only a very few drivers would hold their vehicles long enoughs to put 300k miles on them. The problem of the ash built up is more likely in cars that are city driven and low mileage cars and if you are putting 6k a year on the car than you would not inspect for 20 years. My point was by the time the clock spun over to 300k the rest of the car has seen better days, seats worn out, windows and accessories not working and the list goes on. I see you sold your 2005 TDI, did you keep it to 300k miles?...Most don't because at 300k the car has little to no value.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I said nothing about ash vs soot issue but since you bring it up what is the difference and does it even make a difference.
Ash is the byproduct of burned soot and has no where to go, so yes it makes all the difference.

My comments were directed to those who would not consider buying a VW TDI because a component in the emissions system will most likely fail after and unknown but projected 300,000 plus miles. That thought process is foolish...
Agreed. The component will not fail, it's designed capacity will peak. Only time will answer the questions: what conditions lead to excessive ash and when?

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
No, I think you may have misinterpreted the intent of the notice. They want to inspect at 120k not replace at 120k. Only a very few drivers would hold their vehicles long enoughs to put 300k miles on them. The problem of the ash built up is more likely in cars that are city driven and low mileage cars and if you are putting 6k a year on the car than you would not inspect for 20 years. My point was by the time the clock spun over to 300k the rest of the car has seen better days, seats worn out, windows and accessories not working and the list goes on. I see you sold your 2005 TDI, did you keep it to 300k miles?...Most don't because at 300k the car has little to no value.
Again, you're completely ignoring the "Inspect at 120k and every 10k afterwards REPLACE if necessary".
So I ask, if the first inspection is at 120k, but then goes to every 10k afterwards, what is making you think a DPF will make it out to 300k. That's not logical. The 10k interval is because that is about the time VW expects you to need a replacement.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
So, how much of these new especially-expensive exhaust components on the Passat could one remove and put safely on a shelf, waiting for the day the car is sold or has to have major warranty work, without being noticeably more dirty (or stinky) than the plain old A4 ALH engines?

(It's bad enough one would have to pay for this stuff just so politicians and regulators can pride themselves of requring ever more diminishing returns (and VW can say "clean Diesel"), but why put it out there just to pay for it again in a few years?)

How far could I go without causing a stream of urea out the back?

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
So, how much of these new especially-expensive exhaust components on the Passat could one remove and put safely on a shelf, waiting for the day the car is sold or has to have major warranty work, without being noticeably more dirty (or stinky) than the plain old A4 ALH engines?

(It's bad enough one would have to pay for this stuff just so politicians and regulators can pride themselves of requring ever more diminishing returns (and VW can say "clean Diesel"), but why put it out there just to pay for it again in a few years?)

Those types of discussions as far I a know not allowed on here- basically illegal.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Not only that, the new control systems will probably shut the car down if signals and components are missing.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport

So are you a VW engineer and you understand all the systemic interactions of these pieces well enough to evaluate a benefit to doing this?

Why even bother? Buy another car and let us all breath cleaner air as a result. These components work so stop trying to circumvent them on some belief that you will get better performance or fuel economy gains.

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
This is just horrible to own a new Diesel car with these emission regulations. So many sophisticated and expensive components.

It's like driving a hybrid without the Japanese reliability.:D

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I have had at least a dozen cars with 300+k on the clock still running around fine with DMFs, the original DMFs. I had had several exceed 600k still running around fine. And two exceed 900k miles and were still running on the original drive train, with the original clutch.

So a well built car can reach very high miles........... with proper care

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
On the emissions crap failing and having to be replaced, have you looked at how complicated a gasoline vehicle's emission's crap is today????

Gasoline vehicles have emissions system failures everyday that require a lot of expensive replacement parts. And with the current OBD-II CAN/CAM ( or what ever the current abbreviations are ) you can't get away with failed emissions parts on anything today.

Then throw in the fact that PM traps are coming to gasoline vehicles in the near future because today they are the real PM producers today leading to bad air days, So this issue is a wash...............

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
On the emissions crap failing and having to be replaced, have you looked at how complicated a gasoline vehicle's emission's crap is today????

Gasoline vehicles have emissions system failures everyday that require a lot of expensive replacement parts. And with the current OBD-II CAN/CAM ( or what ever the current abbreviations are ) you can't get away with failed emissions parts on anything today.

Then throw in the fact that PM traps are coming to gasoline vehicles in the near future because today they are the real PM producers today leading to bad air days, So this issue is a wash...............
I can replace the entire exhaust on our Subaru for the cost of the DPF.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
I have had at least a dozen cars with 300+k on the clock still running around fine with DMFs, the original DMFs. I had had several exceed 600k still running around fine. And two exceed 900k miles and were still running on the original drive train, with the original clutch.

So a well built car can reach very high miles........... with proper care
Not quite sure what you point is in responding to my post. Never said 300+ miles was not realistic. What is unrealistic is to not to buy a VW because of the replacement of the filter since this is part of the government mandated emissions and not unique to VW diesels. A clutch on a highway driven car should last a long time because the wear is caused by the engagement.