Mk6 to mk4

larryscastle

TDI
mk6 golf
I was searching the forums for a thread on this topic but no luck. Anyone sell back their mk6 tdi and get into a mk4 tdi? I’m contemplating doing so because of the complicated emissions equipment on the mk6 that may cost me $$$ in repairs once the warranty is up. However I know that getting into a 15 year old tdi may have its issues as well. Any advice?

Thanks,

Kendall

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Do you do your own work and is there a trusted mechanic on our list or other experienced mechanic near you? Any 15 year old car will need lots of work to be in any condition a late model car would be. The late model cars are covered by an extensive warranty, why would you think it would cost your $$$ in repair bills for that? I bought a new left over 2015 Beetle just for that reason. You should look for one of the left over new cars if any are left or a low mileage turn in fixed car. The emissions system should be the least of your worries. A lot of parts for the 15 year old cars are getting to be NLA (no longer available) at this point. Not regular service items but interior parts and such.

Each have their pros and cons but I would say the emissions system should be the least of your worries for 11 years/162k miles.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I was searching the forums for a thread on this topic but no luck. Anyone sell back their mk6 tdi and get into a mk4 tdi? I’m contemplating doing so because of the complicated emissions equipment on the mk6 that may cost me $$$ in repairs once the warranty is up. However I know that getting into a 15 year old tdi may have its issues as well. Any advice?
Sure. Throw in the towel on diesels. I went back to plain ordinary non turbo spark ignition gas engines because my view was that the new diesels are all too complicated for their own good. No more HPFP, no more DPF, no more SCR.

Some of the better newer-design gasoline engines are efficient enough that the difference in fuel cost isn't enough to worry about.

Some of the more efficient gasoline engines have direct-injection and still have a "HPFP" but the gasoline variety operates at a tenth of the pressure. Some of them have had issues (*cough* BMW ... and VW) but others haven't.

Mazda Skyactiv engines seem quite efficient in normal driving. (Had one as a rental for a few days) The Toyota "Dynamic Force" engines (new Camry, possibly others by now) are very efficient. The Honda 1.5T seems to be pretty good.

The new for 2019 Jetta uses a 1.4T gasoline engine which has good EPA ratings. It doesn't get you away from turbo, timing belts, and HPFPs but it does get you away from the complex diesel emission control systems.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
All things mentioned are all covered by the court ordered extended warranty and should cost you zero dollars. It may be complex but you shouldn't have to pay for any repairs "if" needed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bought a MKVI Golf in '12 to replace my '02 MKIV Jetta Wagon. Two and one half years later (before Dieselgate) I sold the Golf with 28K miles on it. I'm still driving the Wagon. Why? Because I prefer the MKIV.

BUT...I bought my MKIV new. And I've taken very, very good care of it, far beyond what most owners would do. As a result it's dead reliable and still a pleasure to drive, despite having 360K miles on it. Buying an unknown, 16 year old car, you may not (probably will not) have the same experience. A co-worker recently bought an '03 Jetta that had the same (local) owner for 12 years and the car was exceptionally well cared for. Nevertheless it's needed shocks, rear axle bushings, rear brakes, the turn signal stalk, and a thermostat since purchase a few months ago. And before purchase it had a timing belt service and a clutch replacement.

I also have a selection of excellent gurus nearby to keep my car in top shape. You don't. There are next to no TDI mechanics in SoCal. My daughter lives in San Diego and I'd love to have her drive a TDI, but I can't recommend it because of the lack of TDI gurus.

If you have your MKVI fixed you'll have a long, long time before you have to worry about emissions systems repairs out of warranty. And it's likely that before that happens you'll want to move on to something else. My advice would be to keep it.

larryscastle

TDI
mk6 golf
What a great community! Thank you all for your feedback. I actually test drove an 03 golf tdi with a 5 speed the other day. It had low miles and the seller was asking for way too much money (in my opinion). It also reeked of diesel fumes which I had not experienced since owning my 83 mercedes 300d. I think what IndigoBlue said was pretty spot on. You never know how a car was taken care of unless you personally took care of it!

All that being said, I most likely will hold on to my MKVI. It still only has 67,000 miles and I enjoy every chance I get to drive it. If I have the opportunity to delete some of the emissions equipment after the warranty is up, I might jump on it However being in California.....

Thanks again, all of you.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I switched back from a mk6to a mk4. Both are golfs. The mk6 is much, much quieter and more refined. The MK4 is way cheaper and simpler to fix. I however have not had to fix anytthing on my MK4 other than replacing some weatherstripping that was old.
I did however buy mine with 137k miles from the original owner who is a member here. It is still one of the cleanest mk4s I have seen in a long time. It also had all the mods I wanted other than a bigger turbo, 3bar map, and larger intercooler. It is ready for all that including ARP headstuds, upgraded driveshafts, taller 5th gear, lsd, and bigger brakes.

I don’t regret the change, but I do miss 6th gear.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
I switched back from a mk6to a mk4. Both are golfs. The mk6 is much, much quieter and more refined. The MK4 is way cheaper and simpler to fix. I however have not had to fix anytthing on my MK4 other than replacing some weatherstripping that was old.
I did however buy mine with 137k miles from the original owner who is a member here. It is still one of the cleanest mk4s I have seen in a long time. It also had all the mods I wanted other than a bigger turbo, 3bar map, and larger intercooler. It is ready for all that including ARP headstuds, upgraded driveshafts, taller 5th gear, lsd, and bigger brakes.
I don’t regret the change, but I do miss 6th gear.
You can still have 6th. ;) http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I know that I could do that but I would lose my upgraded drive shafts and I would have to buy another LSD. I’m looking at over $2k! It is a bit much for the upgrade. I’ll leave it the way it is.