What did you do to your MKIV today?

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Wired in the rear Fog light to take advantage of the Euro switch that was installed. Have plenty of fog in the winter living along the Columbia river. Today, my E-code lights from VXT are scheduled to arrive. Will get those installed later today.
FedEx let me down... they are now not even showing in the area. :mad:

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Not my TDI, but installed front and rear struts and shocks on a friends 06 NB TDI. Went a lot faster than when I did mine on my golf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Took possession of the 2002 green bug, having paintless dent repair on the 2000 golf. DentBro did a good job on the doe dent. Not perfect, minimal ripple and took out other dents here and there. Clean and imperfect. Any advice on how to get the curve out of the hood?

Titled, reg’d & tagged. Legal as an eagle :eagle:

Last edited:

carl20320

TDI
Installed my E-Code headlights that arrived yesterday afternoon. Got the fogs all wired in and functioning.

Also did what will probably be my favorite mod of all time. What is more obnoxious than a lifted Ford truck with air horns??? How about a lifted Golf with 4-note Cadillac El Dorado horns? :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Installed my E-Code headlights that arrived yesterday afternoon. Got the fogs all wired in and functioning.

Also did what will probably be my favorite mod of all time. What is more obnoxious than a lifted Ford truck with air horns??? How about a lifted Golf with 4-note Cadillac El Dorado horns? :)
Can you post a link to the horns sound? What year Caddy are they from?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Yep. Time to get that youtube account. Video or it didn't happen!
Earlier this year I added the AARodriguez "loud" horn to my '03. Love it!
EDIT: They don't sell them anymore, but here's their promo video :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORH_zGE51kU

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
What is more obnoxious than a lifted Ford truck with air horns??? :)
I dunno, don't have a Ford, I have a Cummins, but my air horns (off of an actual Kenworth big rig) are one of the best mods I've done to it. People drive like such asshats around here and don't pay any attention. It sure wakes them up and pulls their head out of their azz in a hury

carl20320

TDI
I dunno, don't have a Ford, I have a Cummins, but my air horns (off of an actual Kenworth big rig) are one of the best mods I've done to it. People drive like such asshats around here and don't pay any attention. It sure wakes them up and pulls their head out of their azz in a hury
My "other" ride is a '06 Cummins as well. Stock horns but a little go faster injectors and tuning.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
One of these days, when I'm not being lazy, I'll put that air horn on my car.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm nerding out right now in Excel trying to do some electrical engineering and calcs to see why and what our vehicles read to throw a glow plug light when
BOTH the brake bulbs are out/ or are LED's. I'm trying to see the number on paper so I can possibly understand what "tolerance" the ECU monitors before
it tells me that I have LED's in my brake light spots.

FWIW, I have all LED's in there right now, and all function swimmingly, I'm just getting the constant glow plug flash. I know about the hazard pin 7 mod. But I'm just a numbers guy

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
Back hatch wiper fluid leaking into cabin. The tubing at the 90* bend/joint had separated of course. I don't want to have to fix this more than once, so a little Permatex went around the base of the nipple and the two pieces went back together.

I've never been able to fully insert the key in the back hatch lock, so that came out while I was at it. Still trying to persuade the cylinder to free up (assuming a stuck cylinder is actually the problem).

Happy to see some other Washingtonians commenting. I live in the SE corner of the state. :)

Last edited:

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Pick 'n Pull finds

Visited my local pick 'n pull (Kenny Upull) to look for a MAF to correct a P0102 code, and found a few other bits as well.
Picked up 2 MAFs... one from an ALH (left side) and another from a BEW (right side).
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
Currently testing the BEW MAF, which seems to be driving well (not triggering any codes) and logging it with Torque Pro yields theses values while driving:
8.0 g/s at idle and 106 g/s at full throttle (4600rpm)... I didn't take it all the way to redline; do these look normal? the car "pulls" well".
Also found a replacement "whip" portion for the my antennae, which snapped whilst driving and was just hanging on by the outer rubber coating :eek:
This wasn't in the plan, but also picked a nice "diesel" fuel cap from a Passat. Mine had a broken strap, so what the heck :D
[/url][/IMG]

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Yesterday I installed a rear view camera that I had been debating where to place it, followed another members idea and placed it inside the back window, while doing so, I finally found the reason for my rear wiper not working. Both signal wires were broken inside the loom from body to tailgate, so I repaired them and now seems to be working.

Since I found the issue, I but all my trim (steering column, tailgate) back on which has been off for over a year trying to find the issue! Looks much better now!

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Having the golf & bug clay barred, sealed and waxed by a local firefighter. It’s a few honey.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Put on the spare steely cause I keep loosing air and several tire shops absolutely CANNOT find a dang leak!!
As I was sitting at the dr.’s office with my son waiting for a follow up x-ray for his broken arm, I got a call from wifey telling me the car was NOT feeling normal. So she checks and that same tire is FLAT. She drove it with the little air it had in it left and ran it to rim. Ugh. I’m gonna have to replace that tire now. Tread was still good but can’t chance having a flat tire every other day with a shop not finding the leak. So annoying

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Put on the spare steely cause I keep loosing air and several tire shops absolutely CANNOT find a dang leak!!
As I was sitting at the dr.’s office with my son waiting for a follow up x-ray for his broken arm, I got a call from wifey telling me the car was NOT feeling normal. So she checks and that same tire is FLAT. She drove it with the little air it had in it left and ran it to rim. Ugh. I’m gonna have to replace that tire now. Tread was still good but can’t chance having a flat tire every other day with a shop not finding the leak. So annoying

I would try spraying the entire wheel/tire down with soapy water. Then over-inflate it (realistically). If you're working by yourself, watch for it to blow bubbles. If none seen, roll the car back a little bit, and repeat.

If you have a partner, have them sit in the drivers seat and slowly roll the car and stop when you're ready to look over a new section. I highly doubt that the tire shop does this, they just look for FOD sticking out of the tire.

The only other way I've lost air that wasn't tire related was I had a cracked rim and it was leaking through there:eek:

I guess that all doesn't matter though if the tire was trashed running it to the rim...but if it's happening on multiple tires, next up is your rim.

The other thing to check is the valve stem...spray a bit of soapy water around there and watch. Also remove the air cap and do the soapy water trick in there. Those valve core seals can wear out and it can leak through the valve core. Easy/cheap fix for that

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check the valve stem itself and around the stem.
Ive had a couple of tire recently leak from there.... tire shop I use had gotten a bad batch of valve stems.....

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI

I've had those darn stock 15" spoked rims where one would just constantly go flat. Even with new tires it did it. But only when the tire was parked on a certain spot. Never found the cause, just kept a bycicle pump in the trunk, but assumed it was leaking past the bead.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I would try spraying the entire wheel/tire down with soapy water. Then over-inflate it (realistically). If you're working by yourself, watch for it to blow bubbles. If none seen, roll the car back a little bit, and repeat.

If you have a partner, have them sit in the drivers seat and slowly roll the car and stop when you're ready to look over a new section. I highly doubt that the tire shop does this, they just look for FOD sticking out of the tire.
The tire shops I've dealt with have inflated the tire on the rim then put it in a large tank of water to looks the leak. This even finds stem leaks.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
The tire shops I've dealt with have inflated the tire on the rim then put it in a large tank of water to looks the leak. This even finds stem leaks.

Yeah, I’ve seen them do it, been there with them. I didn’t see the leaks either!!! I’m at a loss.