Stock Radio Coding Language? tech question

bigace109

TDI
None
Hey guys, Im looking at developing a menu for reading and displaying engine data including, speed, fuel consumption, turbo psi, rpm, etc. I have tried breaking down the stock radio head unit and have successfully gotten into the backend, but have seemed to hit a road block. I do not have any clue what the OS the head unit is running. Most USA based head units run on some form of windowsCE.

Does anyone have information regarding coding language, OS, etc? Thanks

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
There is a rumor that the RNS-510 is based on Windows CE, but it would be (evidently) poorly executed and very slow.
It would be great if there were a hack that could be used to add other programs and functions.
I am thinking about biting the bullet and getting a Chinese Android to replace mine, but it works (slowly).

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86397&highlight=Eonon

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
RNS510 uses PowerPC running VXWorks ;)
I am somewhat familiar with this combination. Therefore, I am actually surprised at how slow and clunky the RNS510's interface is. VxWorks is capable of so much more. It either needs more RAM or the programmer who wrote the firmware needs to be replaced (or perhaps both).

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I wonder if someone can come up with a better (faster) OS for the RNS-510...
VxWorks is a Unix-like real-time operating system and it is plenty fast enough. The problem with the RNS510's speed is either related to the CPU speed or memory limitations, the Java runtime module, or the actual Java application. The fault is in the hardware or in the application, not in the operating system.

VxWorks is used in many places and everybody here has probably interfaced with VxWorks before, you just don't know it.
VxWorks runs many routers and wireless access points, VxWorks runs I/O control in most private phone (PBX) systems, and VxWorks powers all 3 of those "rovers" that the US has blasted up to Mars (Spirit, Opportunity, & Curiosity). It is a very stable and robust operating system.

Have Fun!

Don

bigace109

TDI
None
Thanks for the reply... i have done some ethical coding as of late and have made some progress. VxWorks is widely used on many hardware systems... Ill post more as time goes on. Fun project though.

@graeme86 have you done much coding/programming on these units?

Last edited: