Dpf clogging?

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
Hello all,
Last few fill ups I have been noticing lower fuel mileage. Always was over 40mpg and now I'm seeing 36 37 mpg. Our golf tdi has 159k on it and seems to run ok otherwise. Would like to know the soot levels but don't have access to one. Is the dealer my only option for a new replacment?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Hello all,
Last few fill ups I have been noticing lower fuel mileage. Always was over 40mpg and now I'm seeing 36 37 mpg. Our golf tdi has 159k on it and seems to run ok otherwise. Would like to know the soot levels but don't have access to one. Is the dealer my only option for a new replacement?
There are TDIs out there with well over 250k miles on the original DPF. It appears that the primary cause of DPF clogging is failed sensors (either EGT or differential pressure sensors) that do not get immediately replaced. With failed sensors, a regen will not take place - this is what clogs DPFs. Dealers are probably the main source for replacement DPFs, but don't jump the gun and assume that that is you problem. Find someone near you with VCDS and look at all of the DPF related measuring blocks. As long as regenerations are occurring regularly, the main this to look at is the ash load. This is the factor that will eventually lead to DPF replacement if a sensor doesn't fail to clog the works.

Have Fun!

Don

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
should I be seeing engine codes if there is a failed sensor?

There are TDIs out there with well over 250k miles on the original DPF. It appears that the primary cause of DPF clogging is failed sensors (either EGT or differential pressure sensors) that do not get immediately replaced. With failed sensors, a regen will not take place - this is what clogs DPFs. Dealers are probably the main source for replacement DPFs, but don't jump the gun and assume that that is you problem. Find someone near you with VCDS and look at all of the DPF related measuring blocks. As long as regenerations are occurring regularly, the main this to look at is the ash load. This is the factor that will eventually lead to DPF replacement if a sensor doesn't fail to clog the works.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
should I be seeing engine codes if there is a failed sensor?
Yes, there should be a stored fault code and a CEL and/or DPF light. As long as regens are occurring, you should be OK. There are many possible causes for reduced mileage and your emissions system is only one possibility.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. A VCDS autoscan never hurts, just in case.

redpup

TDI
2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6MT
My dpf fell off, now I get a constant 53/55 mpg. .. ;)
Man, what a bummer. I live in the rust belt so it's only a matter of time until I start her up one day and find the dpf magically eroded away.:cool:

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
I have no idiot lights on the dash, filled it again today and still way off. It's about 100 miles less that it normally gets.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
first thing I would check is brakes and bearings and tires (oh my)

and if there is a fuel leak, or thermostat problem.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
I spun the rear wheels and you can def feel some brake dragging so I'm hoping that's where the problem is. They do seem very hot just after normal driving and I can now hear brakes dragging while driving. Where should I start with this rear brake issue? E-brake cables not releasing or caliper problem?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I spun the rear wheels and you can def feel some brake dragging so I'm hoping that's where the problem is. They do seem very hot just after normal driving and I can now hear brakes dragging while driving. Where should I start with this rear brake issue? E-brake cables not releasing or caliper problem?
Can you lift the rear wheels off the ground and get under the car? You could try to disconnect the parking brake cable and see if that frees up the wheel. If this does free up the wheel it is a cable adjustment. If the brakes still drag without a parking brake cable attached, it might be a problem with the caliper.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I have never done this on a newer car, so I do not know how easy or hard it might be.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
one thing to note is that the parking brake operates by screwing in the piston on the caliper. if you never use the parking brake, it can get loose (meaning the part that screws in is not close to the hydraulic part of the piston) and cause trouble.

If you decide to work on the brakes yourself, there are good DIYs around. the piston has to be turned in to provide more room. you cannot just push with pliers or a c clamp.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
The DPF is an emissions component, so enjoys an extended factory warranty beyond 60K Miles in the U.S.. I forget what the emissions component warranty is, but ours failed somewhere beyond 60K Miles and was replaced under warranty.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
We'll over the weekend I took the rear calipers off and re greased everything and things seem to be better! Will report next fill up on how it looks.

Thanks
Jamie

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Well,
Things are better but bad mpg still, Can't hit 40 and I'm trying! Going to a guru Wednesday to check the dpf load. Any other advice?

jjz777

TDI
'02 Jetta 02J, '15 Beetle 3 pedal Traded, RIP '12 JSW DSG
Well,
Things are better but bad mpg still, Can't hit 40 and I'm trying! Going to a guru Wednesday to check the dpf load. Any other advice?

I just had the 40K service completed. Dealer did the DSG service, engine oil change and I completed the rest. Vehicle mileage is significantly down. On a 600+ mile trip last weekend, vehicle struggled to get 40mpg. Barely loaded averaging 65mph. I had the dealer look at it and as far as they are concerned, no CEL=no problems. I am VERY interested in your results.

Joe

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Had the dpf load checked and I'm way under. I'm at 13.1 grams and I think 45 is when it's completly clogged so I should be fine in that regard. We checked the injectors and they all look fine with vcds, no codes everything looks correct but still not seeing the mpg. We had the dsg done also before this all started happening but can't imagin that have
anything to do with it. I was going to look at the air filter to see if something is stuck in there but I have replaced not that long ago. I'm really on top of maintenance so I'm not sure what im doing wrong.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I found the issue! While digging around under the hood I looked under the air box and noticed the air snorckle That goes from the air box to the exhaust was off. I figured that was not good so I fit it back in and my mpg has been back into the 40s. I'm thinking that when the dsg service was done maybe they forgot to install tube? Would make sence as the air box needs to come out I belive.
Good to know!
Thanks all

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
How about some more info on the duct and where it goes etc.
I have never had really 40+ mpg and this may have a bearing on it.
Thanks.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
just look to the back of your air box, you should see a snorkel pipe that goes from the box to the exhaust manifold. mine was there but not attached the the manifold end. it's a real flimsy thing so use caution.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
if you look at the backs of the calipers after releasing the parking brake and the levers are within 1-3mm of the stops, your adjustment and your cables are fine. I found that I had some corrosion of the caliper bore between the dust boot and the hydraulic seal that was causing the brakes to occasionally hang up.

You can verify by jacking up the car, aplying the brakes hard, releasing, and see how easy the wheels turn, they should be stiff at first, but relatively free turning after a couple revolutions. I was down about 5-6mpg..